Someone explain to me why FTE is so hated, I don't get it.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Hinastorm86, Mar 7, 2024.

1. The Silver Smurfer New Member

I dont know how it fixed any of those things and would love to hear you explain how it did. It affected the way I play in 0 ways other than to slow down actual fte while the system figured out what was going on. It was horrible to play in said system and highly exploitable although they fixed some of the issues with that.
  2. NuffanTuit Nuffan Tuit on Innoruuk Server

When did World of Warcraft implement True Box?

I played at launch got to max level FAST...got bored quit and never went back....lol

But both me and my roomate boxed two accounts from a single machine when it came out and neither of us played for very long we killed Onyxia and immediately returned to EQ.
  3. Demetri Augur

Like most "basically" analogies this is terrible. They're basically the same as a German guy with a Chaplin mustache.
    Y
  4. Angry Totodile New Member

Its not everquest
  5. NuffanTuit Nuffan Tuit on Innoruuk Server

I can explain how FTE fixes certain problems that have plagued EQ since it was launched.

When a level 30 druid goes to rathe mountains on an FTE server and they aggro a mob a max level character can not kill steal it.Thus allowing equal footing for a level appropriate character to compete with a max level character.

That is one fix.

When I am holding a position in game a player can not deliberately train me to take the camp from me.
    They can setup and try and get to the mob first, but they can not chase me out of the area.

That is two fixes.
  6. Demetri Augur

Also a solo person versus a real group even when they contest has 1 chance compared to 6 to get a first tag in to lock the mob. Versus say walking up and using a L60 Harm Touch to instantly "win" any DPS race once an hour or so. (Or roughly almost every rare spawn in a slow respawn zone barring the odd cases of back to back rare pops)
    Muramx likes this.
  7. Muramx Augur

Things that never happened....

Anyways, general comment.

There are 2 people.

1) FTE is great if anything it kept the "derps"away from the server. Cut down on training and ksing and the petitions that came from them. Thus allowing DP to have more resources to go on offensive with the ban/suspension hammer with people that are cause big problems. Oakwynd is by far the least toxic server I have ever played.

2) FTE removed my immersion (lol yeah ok..) I can't DPS race people (nice way of saying Kill stealing.) People did it all the time (no they didn't, because Varant and SoE would hammer them, along with server justice.) And, you act like it happens all the time and it doesn't. (Which if that were the case DP wouldn't have done it and I am sure they have the data you don't.

If no one did it or only 1 instance of it a day... Then why complain so hard about something you don't believe is happening? Because if FTE changes nothing why are you all so vehemently against it?
    Demetri and Ddezul like this.
  8. Crabman Augur

The thing that bothers me so much about FTE that i havent seen anyone touch on is the god awful 5 second tag delay on spawns. everywhere it is annoying but especially leveling in newbie yards is awful now, and without red wine its the only option. see a mob spawn, get to it and just stand for 3-4 more seconds before you can attack... slows down the already worst part of the game.

get rid of that, or lower it to half a second and I dont think i would notice it at all outside of one extra yell button when pling myself with a druid
    Yinla likes this.
  9. Demetri Augur

If you actually timed spawns early on with Oakwynd - when they added the delay they reduced all spawn times by 6 sec as well - now due to the 15% spawn rate bonus it's a little more complicated to compare it directly since it's now (X-15%)-6 sec for the spawn time.

But no, if anything Oakwynd spawns before the additional reduction were already faster due to the 6 sec earlier they spawned, which is replaced with a 3-6 sec delay. So 0-3 sec ahead of a normal server.

It's just a PERCEPTION issue, not an actual timing one.

Again, if you don't believe me, find a 6 min spawn on Live and then check the same spawn on Oakwynd. It will be 5 min on the nose for respawn instead of 5m 6s which would be 85% of the normal 6 min. (360x0.85=306 - 5 min, 6 sec)

And a half second wouldn't equalize the display time that can vary by up to 3 sec between players due to simple transmission time worldwide (IIRC people on the opposite side of the world have a bit over 2 sec latency)
    Muramx likes this.
  10. xxar Augur

It has to do with rendering and FTE , this prevents bots from being able to engage a target before it's inside the game and locking content down + What demetri stated.

That spawn time delay make's it fair for everyone involved 50 / 50 % for FTE and prevents bot crew's from doing what people claimed was going to happen ... In fact automation is at a disadvantage in this situation a majority of the time.
  11. Rebelicious Augur

Apart from deliberate and repeated harassment by disturbed persons... or greedy plat-farming bots... getting wrecked by "accidental" mishaps is part of the terror, trepidation, and magical allure of EQ. If we all wanted to "play it safe... and boring... we'd play online solo solitaire.
  12. Bartholomo Journeyman

I would just like to point out that you guys are making comparisons on Oakwynd. There is maybe 1-2 guilds on there going for open world targets, there is really no competition. If they do a mischief 2.0 server and add FTE, you are really going to see what toxicity looks like with a much larger pool of players.I don't care either way as I know exactly what to do and how to work with the mechanics, but its like some of you have not actually seen what people CAN do with FTE. I will leave it at that.
  13. Bartholomo Journeyman

they spent developer hours on it because it can, seemingly, reduce petitions and workload? when in fact it seems to me like it was just as bad. you are right, there was a lot of other things they could have worked on. I am not even going to begin to list all the terrible crap I went through on Oakwynd because of FTE. Bot crews back at the King camp in guk just had free reign for weeks and weeks pulling nonstop. Try beating mage pet bot macro's to the punch on tags. I even took to the forums and reported 3 different crews, and I only saw 1 disappear. I hope they just do 2 servers 1 with and 1 without, let all these people who want it, have it. Simple.
  14. Bartholomo Journeyman

I forget the guilds name, but there was actually a guild of about 10 people with an obnoxious guild name that would pull up on camps and say "Times Up" and laugh. First they brought nothing but taunt classes, because taunt broke FTE. Then they started to bring pet classes, because pet macro's could always tag first. It was a daily occurence. I dont know where everyone on these forums was at during classic, but it wasnt in guk.
  15. Muramx Augur

I was on Oakwynd day 1 and like your antidotal evidence, Inever saw anything like that in guk. The the only issue I ever had was the Bot groups sitting on named camp or donating anything that made money. And well.... With FTE... They aren't fast enough to take stuff if they are running programs and not their. So I just pulled stuff before them. Even in PoP in earth I would pull PH/named across the zone and o them and let the boys kill it. Wait til I could loot it and take what I wanted. I won't lie I got a ton of alt heirloom gear doing that, but that's a differnt topic.
  16. Crabman Augur

Thats fine if its just a perception and not actually a timing thing... but chasing an invulnerable mob around a field for how ever long it is... is a horrible, annoying feeling and its the sole thing that makes FTE terrible in my opinion.
    Demetri likes this.
  17. SnapVine Augur

Ask to have your open world raid mobs immune from locking and we're good, right?
  18. Ddezul Augur

No.
  19. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I did all that on Mischief with no FTE, whats your point?
  20. Ddezul Augur

Yes but Mischief is heaven on Norrath.
    That's why i'm PRAYING there isn't another mischief ruleset server that destroys the greatest server in the history of forever!!!