AMA Response Feedback

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Vicus, Mar 13, 2024.

1. Velisaris_MS Augur

It's not a single post...it's everything you post these days.

The moment anyone suggests a playstyle different from the way you play, it triggers you for some reason and you end up posting screeds about how the way they want to play the game is bad.

Who cares if the "filty casuals" want to sit in a corner of a zone and gind xp by mindlessly killing mobs? Who cares if causual players, if they were to add currency to tasks, could get augs without ever running a single mission? Why do you care how other people play the game?

I personally find modern EQ raiding to be boring, silly, and a complete waste of 3 hours of my life because the only strategy involved these days is mashing a keybind or two and staying awake to hear the audio triggers for everyone to move from the left side of the room to the right side. But some people enjoy that sort of thing and it doesn't bother me...I don't go around trying to explain to them WHY raiding is wrong. And no, I don't want to hear people tell me that "RAIDING TAKES SKILLZ!!!1!" Don't care.

What I care about is trying to encourage the devs to let people play the game the way they want to play it...whatever way that may be. But you, and others, constantly try to tell people that they way they want to play is wrong or bad.

It's tiresom. If you enjoy raiding and hate the filthy casuals, that's fine. You do you. But stop trying to convice them that they're wrong for wanting to play that way.
  2. Mesc No $$$ Until the Experience is put back on Mobs!!!

Reading. Comprehension. For. The. Win. Where did i say I was quitting? Sure you can have my stuff. My stuff is 1 Krono per item. How much stuff you want?
  3. Sakuraba Augur

Unsure if this had been pointed out in another response, but this was the extremely jarring thing for me.

Everquest has functioned on a yearly content cycle for years, but back when it started this was clearly more feasible. They had plenty of dev team members, they seemed to handle their budget better, etc.

The game has the Swag Store and their Krono Farmers to keep them plenty funded during off years during yearly TLPs, there's no way the revenue spikes aren't good enough to warrant a slower release cycle.

A certain other MMO does 2 year expansion cycles with smaller patches every third month during those cycles. Maybe it's time for EQ to consider something similar, with stuff like the Year of Darkpaw content or the TLPs being what they do "between expansions" to maintain player engagement. Maybe staggering the raid tiers would help with that too.

I think the 2yr expansion cycle is relatively healthier in the long term, as long as you don't overpromise. And I think after this AMA we can safely say the devs will not overpromise.
  4. fransisco Augur

From the long term standpoint, I don't think more smaller content releases would change anything. If you look at amount of content produced over a 2 year period, eq would generate the same amount of content regardless of the release schedule. To do more would mean more devs - which means the vulture capital parent company would need to let the company keep more of the money its earning
  5. fransisco Augur

Your refusal to pay means your not playing really. Of.course.that.means.reading.between.the.lines.oh.look.I.can.use.too.many.periods.too...
    Nennius likes this.
  6. Cicelee Augur

I do not care how other people play the game.

I. Do. Not. Care. How. Other. People. Play. The. Game.

Do you understand? Or do I have to shout it in all caps?

I DO NOT CARE HOW OTHER PEOPLE PLAY THIS GAME.

Just because I disagree with you on something doesn't mean I want to force you to do things my way. It means WE DISAGREE. AND THAT IS OK.

Just because I find grinding boring doesn't mean others don't find it fun. I get bored running a mission for the 50th time. Some people love it. Who cares? NO ONE.

The discussion was adding currency to merc tasks. My concern is that if it was added and repeatable, that people would stop doing missions (which require 6 people) and instead just kill sharks and golems in LI (which takes far less than six people, for many 1-2 at the most). It is hard enough for many players to find people to do missions when they have to do them 40+ times for currency. Add currency acquisition to a much easier method like merc tasks? The incentive to run 40+ missions goes away, now even fewer people are running missions, and what was difficult to find six people to do missions 40+ times now becomes borderline impossible to find people to run missions half a dozen times so that Joe Schmo who missed the first month can get his achievements.

If repeatable currency is put on merc tasks, it has to be such that there is still an incentive to do missions- after all, that is the social aspect of working together as a team. Instead of running 40 missions to get enough currency, move 10 missions worth of currency spread out over 12 months. Or something to that effect. It should be supplemental to mission currency, not a replacement.

But that is my opinion. And it is OK to have an opinion. Because if devs decide to add repeatable currency to repeatable merc tasks, guess what?

I WOULD NOT CARE.

If devs decided to add XP back to grind mobs, guess what? I WOULD NOT CARE.

I am allowed to disagree with the decision, I am allowed to have a difference of opinion, and I am allowed to voice iI. But at the end of the day, it doesn't matter because I DON'T CARE.

I pay to play in this game. If devs make enough decisions that I don't like, then I stop paying and I quit. I have that right, and so do you and everyone else. But what is tiresome is the constant false accusations and attacks just cause I have a different opinion than someone else. It truly is sad that people cannot discuss and disagree anymore, and instead make baseless accusations that "OMG he is telling me how to play the game!" when not one word was uttered of the sort.
    Nennius likes this.
  7. Mesc No $$$ Until the Experience is put back on Mobs!!!

Its called Free. To. Play.

Oh look you learned a new trick! Good for you! Glad i could help you learn things. Maybe, if your up to it we can try paint by numbers!
  8. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

It's really a shame, we can't have discussions and people resort to insults.

Or strawman arguments like:

Mesc likes this.
  9. CdeezNotes Augur

Don't you see? Sitting in the right corner (grinding) isn't acceptable but sitting it the left (missions) is. Why? Cause devs say so. Don't like it? Leave.

@Cicelee how can you say you don't care yet ridicule and criticize people who want to play a different way?
    Kaenneth, Bilderov and KushallaFV like this.
  10. DeadRagarr Augur

Guys grinding is way too easy!

Hold up yo. Im buying a task add for XP and sitting in guild lobby afk.

As far as currency goes. The answer is quite simple. Re-add Heroic adventures to the game. Not scripted but close enough to grinding, and it has worked in previous expansions.
  11. Bilderov Augur

The entire game is grind. I'm shocked that the people in charge of making future decisions on this game don't realise this. (I suspect they do but don't consider other parts of the game grinding).

By nerfing the exp cap and removing any real exp from killing mobs - do they think we have other magical option where we spend months in constantly new content as we max AAs, chase items, gear, currency, characters and personas without a care in the world?

There is a grind to max your AAs.
    There is a grind to max your gear / currency.
    There is a grind to max your chase items.
    There is a grind to level your character.
    There is a grind to level your personas.

By releasing an expansion with 50% of the content of the previous one only compounds this issue.

How can one of the answers to the AMA be, "We don't want to encourage grinding"?
    Barraind, Dre. and DeadRagarr like this.
  12. Dre. Altoholic

It's an industry problem tbh. In pretty much every video game with an "endgame" the campaign is something you beat quickly and 90% of your time spent in endgame activities, while dev effort inverts this ratio. There's an idiom about wearing pants on your head that applies here.
  13. Velisaris_MS Augur

I had a rather lengthy reply typed out, but then I realized no matter what I say, it won't matter. You, like the devs, have an absurdly narrow vision of the game and you don't want to listen to anything that might disrupt that vision. You're just not worth my time.

I'm done with this conversation.
    Kaenneth likes this.
  14. Velisaris_MS Augur

That's usually when the party gets good.
  15. Barraind Grumpy Old Bastage

"Everquest is a group game and blablabla"

No, see, everquest is a game where if I want to run through old raids for funsies, I log in a bunch of alts, join a raid, then log them out so the door / npc goes "oh, you have enough people". Yes, I still have the one me that can 1-round everything in here. Sometimes i have to drag an alt or two into a room so the room can go "oh, theres three of you in here" and open the door to the next thing I am going to 1-round.

This is a silly and dumb process that made sense back when we needed a full group of people to do anguish aug farms at level, but hasnt made sense for at least the last 10 or 15 years at this point.

It would feel like the old days, when most of them actually did that.

I cant respond to this without getting my post deleted again.

But if anyone seriously believes this, there are hotlines you can call for help.
    Silvena and Dre. like this.
  16. Atomos Augur

I'm still waiting for someone to explain how the member count requirement is OK, when players themselves admit to:

1.) Bypassing it by boxing.

2.) Bypassing it by getting bodies (strangers, friends, guildies, whatever) in the group but not having them actually participating.

3.) Bypassing it by utilizing offline characters.

Also I don't get why people are OK with getting rid of it for old content but not current content. What POSITIVE impact does anyone think this system has on the game/community at all? It is clearly not forcing anyone to play together - in fact, if someone is trying to play the game but can't request content because they don't box or can't find anyone to help them request it, what exactly do you think they're going to do? They're more likely to get bored and move on to another game if anything. How is that a good thing?
    Dre. likes this.