AMA Response Feedback

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Vicus, Mar 13, 2024.

1. Velisaris_MS Augur

Even if you only put a 5 currency reward on merc tasks in LS, that's only 120 currency for a full rotation of tasks (24). You'd have to do them all 5 times to get enough to buy an aug.

For a lot of casual players, people that just want to grind xp, and people that hate doing missions, they would love to log in for their 2 or 3 hours of playtime, do a bunch of tasks, and feel like they accomplished something. They'd probably be getting an aug every week...and they'd be perfectly fine with that.

I don't understand why that concept is so hard to grasp for the devs.
    Barton-Vox, Mesc, Rijacki and 3 others like this.
  2. fransisco Augur

They do. Key replicatation and other things. 6 Boxers use a ton of 3rd party software. Just none that can play itself (though alot does blur the edges).
  3. uberkingkong Augur

When expansion is so old you can solo it, what's the point in group and raid minimum limit players limitation?
  4. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Here's the problem that you always overlook, it's a group based MMORPG. If the content was built as solo content, then sure limit the rewards on a quest.

However, it's built for groups and you need people to constantly be running through the content missions, mercenary and partisan, and grinding. There needs to be gameplay loops that incorporate the MMO element, where players bump into each other and group up.

The game is heavily built on cliques, and it shows through the design. EQ does a terrible job at using it's content to create the gameplay loops to build social connections. It's how MMOs last through 4 decades.
  5. CdeezNotes Augur

I've been back on live last few weeks. My play time is really odd lately. So far I've been stuck boxing my way through prog. I'm super undergeared and have no chance to two box the missions. I haven't done them once. Most people don't even run them anymore as they got their augs. I have virtually zero chance of getting my slot 5s done at this point. It's March. The expansion goes until December

I have no way of accumulating currency. My entire friend group plays different hours now. We're rarely ever on together. I'm stuck using TOV slot 5s for the foreseeable future. How is that good design? Oh, it's not. It's terrible design. I'm at the mercy of groups which don't exist anymore.
  6. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

This likely hits the nail on the head. We are more likely to change his mind if we come up with a list of which ones we would like changed rather than a blanket request for them all.

My list so far
    DoN - Dojo remove the 6 required in zone and reduce to 1 to request
    DoN - Other raids &missions for progression reduced to 1 to request (I'll look these up later)
    OoW - Anguish reduced to 1 to request(epic orbs)
    Oasis instance - Rogue Epic reduced to 1 to request
    Twincast 3 spell - Raid instance (need to look it up)
    GoD - BIC missions and raids reduced to 1 to request

There are likely a lot more I have missed, so which would you add to a list?
  7. Bernel Augur

The HoT progression quest "Fall of the Tae Ew" needs three people. It would be nice if it went down to just one since there's no one to group with in the 80's on live.

I would think it would be okay on live to have a blanket change on all quests below a certain level. If you're below 100 on live, you're pretty much molo-ing your way through deserted zones anyway. You can't find anyone to actually group with. You can (maybe) get someone from /general to join your group so you can request it, but you'll be doing the mission all on your own.
    Rijacki likes this.
  8. MimirAesir New Member

Just thinking out-loud of what devs could do to encourage/facilitate grouping:

- Multi-charge teleportation crystals and teleportation devices in major starting cities. Druid rings, etc.,
    - Leader can place fellowship campsite even if no members present,
    - Invite to fellowship even if in another zone,
    - Remove 20 hour lockout on joining fellowships,
    - Allow membership in multiple fellowships,
    - 'Join My Fellowship' button on LFG screen,
    etc., etc.

Devs say the words but need to do the walk....
  9. Cicelee Augur

I never said players were asking for 45 or 90 currency or 135 currency to do a merc task like they get with a mission. Please share where I said that.

I agree that some currency should be given for completing merc and partisans. What I disagree with is a repeated reward for doing so. Now I am not saying that I enjoy doing 100 missions for all my type 5 augs- no one does. It gets boring and redundant. But at least there is some small challenge in doing a mission compared to killing eight sharks, 9 golems and six elementals in LI. I don't think devs just want to give away type 5 augments for all- there has to be some earning involved. And if they decide to add 5 currency for every merc task repeated completion, then players will not do missions like they do currently.

Because for now, players have to run a lot of missions to get their currency for augs. If currency was added to repeatable merc rewards, then less players are doing missions. Which means if you miss out on the first week of missions, you might be out of luck- players got their group cheevements, they got their neck, the incentive to do another 40 missions is completely gone. Why bother doing a mission where two people fail the aura emote and wipe the group, when I can just kill sharks and golems for currency? That is so much easier and convenient than having to do another 40 missions.

But for those who need to do missions, they need players who have to do another 40 missions to help them through. They don't need that player to kill LI aharks and golems. That is why I feel currency cannot be a repeatable reward on merc tasks.
  10. uberkingkong Augur

Nah
    Its just peoples boxes are better than actual players so, why invite an actual player to a group thing? They just slow you down.

Whys that, gear, spells, etc. Can do the mechanics with ease with the box, the box does exactly what you want and better than players. Especially the ones that actually need groups, they hold boxers back.

You go LFG, those boxers aren't gonna invite you, you gotta be annoying to them, make them feel bad for saying no by finding them and asking to group up, and they be thinking darn my output is slow if i do so.

Anyways many many things.
    Casual player vs serious casual boxer how to close the gap, shrouds.

Not no fellowship or whatever thing. Its output, they play with others beside their box, the box has full T3 raid gear too. Thats gonna hamper a lotta dps.

Shrouds simple simple shrouds.

People at all levels looking for shrouds.
    Simple, not no whatever you mentioned. Fellowship who cares, run here and get here and then you group, simple. Don't need no fellowship, people running there and getting there still aint getting group.

Shrouds, have people and do different things at once, meaning you can't just /follow and do good dps. Do different things at once and cut the completition greatly, that is how you get people grouping up together. And gear don't matter in shrouds, so that T3 raider with T3 raid geared boxes too, they aint gonna be better than another real person. Thats the beauty of Shrouds.

The other thing is meta events, but in meta people usually don't get the group vibe, its just lets get it done and go our seperate ways vibe. But its better than solo by yourself empty zone vibe. With level spread and having the scale everything thats a lot of work, just have a shroud meta event too, along with normal version. Shroud will be more popular because people can do stuff, at any level.
  11. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

LDoN adventures - Requires 3, a mercenary may be 1 of the 3.
    LDoN raids - Requires 6 and I think they must all be players (haven't been able to check if mercenaries work but I doubt it.
    Barton-Vox likes this.
  12. Velisaris_MS Augur

Just make it so that group member restrictions go away once the content is 5 expansions old. No need to be specific about anything.
    Barton-Vox, Rijacki and Bernel like this.
  13. uberkingkong Augur

I'm pretty sure there is something where you need more than 6 minimum for a raid. Its probably really old EQ raids.

Issue with EQ is its not always consistent.
    Say I 15 box, casual content.
    More recent content if everyone is in a raid, those task updates hit everyone in the raid.
    Older content, nope its specific per person. ugh.

EQ should probably look into consistency it might a reason that thows off people.
    Like HoT you need those boxes and something to do the clicky for armor gear.
    Then RoF its different.
    Then TBL its from drops and you need a dropped thingy or paid thingy.

Not consistent.
    It feels like the vision changes changes changes. How about the core vision. Classic EQ vision.
    Tradeskillers can make it they just have the components and thats it after its done done. No more having grind for some ore just to get the actual gear.

Then quests system different.

Honestly I liked the DoD quest system. Finish the thing and on every cursor boom reward. Plus the actual chest. But the reward thats a worthy worth getting reward, like wow this is actually an upgrade and useful reward.

EQ shroud meta event, DoD quest system reward.
    Hail NPC, get sent to instance of the meta with the many many other players, no player cap to it event, no group, no raid necessary, no level requirements to be in. Just show up, hail, yes I wanna join. Pick your shroud. Get going do stuff. Finish.
    On your cursor heres your reward useful stuff, and give some extra xp, why not.

Remember boomerang brawl, it was shrouds good rewards, but it was pvp not everyone is on same team and do pve stuff. Boomerrang was good for UF. Can't do UF stuff in era back when no one knew and prenerfs. Well just farm boomerang brawls and get nice stuff. PvP. But how about PvE shroud events where you don't need to form a group, form raid etc etc. stuff that relies on /lfg being populated (/lfg not populated never is on Live server even at end game, its empty).
  14. Bernel Augur

This would be a good change. They could even do it progressively where the limits are reduced relative to how many expansions back it is. Perhaps if it's 1-3 expansions back, no change. 4 expansions back, required members reduced by 1. 5 expansions back reduced by 2, etc. This would work on live or TLPs. As expansions are unlocked on TLPs, the older expansions would have their group requirements automatically reduced.
    Rijacki likes this.
  15. Velisaris_MS Augur

Can you please, just once, contribute to a thread without putting down other players who choose not to play the game the way you play it? That's all you ever contribute to a thread these days...telling people the way they want to play the game is bad.
  16. CdeezNotes Augur

You can add a timer to mercs. Solves his main and only problem of people stopping group missions. Also, do a merc task for 10 currency 13 times is probably more time consuming than the missions.

It's such a weak argument to die on.

This game should promote and encourage choice and doing different things, not pigeonhole people into 2 missions ad nauseum
    Barton-Vox and Rijacki like this.
  17. Cicelee Augur

Excuse me?

Where did I tell Marton that he has to play a certain way? We are debating about adding currency to merc/partisan tasks. Something that isn't even added jnto the game. We both agree it should be added, we just disagree with how often a player should receive it. We are discussing a topic that IS NOT EVEN IN THE GAME. How am I telling someone to play about something that is NOT EVEN IN THE GAME.

I understand there are several FQ people who love to immediately respond to some posters and just attack and accuse and argue for whatever reason. At least be truthful if you are going to respond to my posts please. Show me where I told Marton that this is how s/he needs to play the game. I don't care how they play. We are just discussing adding currency to tasks.

I swear some of you need to get a life. Or are you the type of person who if someone disagrees with whatever and they have a different opinion or point of view that you feel like you are being attacked and have to defend yourself? Can't people just disagree on topics without being attacked or falsely accused? I guess I am getting too old, or the current generation is mentally unable to debate and discuss a topic without resorting to attacks.
  18. fransisco Augur

Can I have your stuff? Or better yet, are you quitting for longer than the weekend?
  19. fransisco Augur

TLP servers are a thing...
    Nennius likes this.
  20. Dre. Altoholic

There are three distinct problems:

Problem 1: Headcount checks
    Description: Group instances, DZ's or picks require a certain number of players present in order to proceed.
    Feasibility of solution: This has some technical investment for back-content but could be changed moving forward also.

Problem 2: Forced-multiplayer mechanics
    Description: Specific mechanics like death touches, need for being in two places, emote requirements, NPC banish, one-class spell requirements etc. make an event tuned for a group/raid in-era, arbitrarily require additional players even when the difficulty has been trivialized by levels.
    Feasibility of solution: Low. Nobody is expecting a retune of event mechanics to ensure they are achievable by smaller groups, or soloable after a certain number of level cap increases.

Problem 3: Path to max level
    Description: Experience gain beyond a certain level expects completion of tasks that are tuned around a group of players. Once the majority of players have completed this content, or when the content is not current, those left behind, or new/returning players, or personas face a significant reduction of availability to advance.
    Solutions:
    Good feasibility:
    • Remove level requirements on higher level gear.
    • Remove 30 level max group spread for experience.
    • NPC buffer, tribute/gear merchant, potion revamp to help soloist.
    • Skew experience from mission/achievement gains back toward grinding.
    • Designate a "leveling" server, with experience bonus, free transfers, level cap
    Probably-Low feasibility:
    • Dungeon finder
    • Cross-server instancing
    • Mercenary re-tuning
    • Class balance/soloability re-tuning