Beastlord Timer 11 nuke. When are we getting a new one? Make Roars single target instead?

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by Goodkitty, Mar 11, 2024.

1. Goodkitty Augur

So Beastlords haven't had a new timer 11 single target nuke since level 112 (TOV Xpac).

DBG, can you just make our newer reiterated "Roar" line(timer11) single target? AoE nukes are not viable for raid gaming in most situations if you like to perform.

This would be an easy fix without inserting new spells for us balanced around the need to boost it for single target only damage.

Another nice fix would be to add two new AA for both situations of this.
    AA - Morph Roar toggle - Aoe On/ Aoe Off
    AA - Morph Barrage of Claws - Aoe on/ Aoe Off

yea... I still use a level 98 Focused Clamor of Claws Rk III combat ability because I don't want to wipe my raid..
  2. Alnitak Augur

Not happening, nope.
    After CotF they have discontinued some spells for various classes. Namely, Shared Merciless Ferocity and Focused Clamor of Claws for beastlords. There were no upgrades and were not planned.
    I use both extensively myself, but no expectations for upgrade.

And Timer 11 spells - similar to other classes, large effective spell with an outsized effect and long recast used to alternate timers for every other "max-level-increase" expansions. Namely - large DD for beastlord Lance had alternating timers 7 and 11, so characters could use both spells (current and previous level) to effectively increase the dps of that spell line by about 40%.
    Evidently, they've kept current expansion Lance on the same timer as the previous one.
    Why? I don't know. Was it an oversight or intentional? Maybe they've decided to "streamline" the spell use and have decided to stop that "alternating spell timer" approach.
    Goodkitty likes this.
  3. Romance Augur

Roar is very viable in raids, I use it every raid on every raiding night. Even for single target damage it's usable if there isn't mezzing on top of the dps pile.

I also use focused clamor of claws, but only situationally.

Different guilds/raids will have different strategies that work for them, they may not all include aoe. That doesn't make aoe's not viable.
    strongbus likes this.
  4. strongbus Augur

not use Roar? or the newest claws? Unless we a are doing a raid that requires mezzing, there is no reason to not be using roar or the higest ae claw. Roar has our highest single target dd beat with damage and the claw is the same. The only way in a raid without mezzing that using these is going even get close to a wipe is if your off tanks suck and can't hold agro.
  5. Cadira Augur

What the f***?
    Remien, fransisco and strongbus like this.
  6. fransisco Augur

Indeed. I kinda figured raid trash exists in swarms to give players a chance to get really big numbers.
    Cadira likes this.
  7. Goodkitty Augur

TLDR: Barrage of claws has a Z axis problem

I've been giving both of these skills another chance. Roar seems "okay" , but theres some clinching moments in raids where I have to sit down and mem single targets just to be on the safe side because lets be fair, people f up.

Anyhow BARRAGE of claws has some unlimited Z axis crap going on which needs to be fixed (if it can). I do remember barrage being a pain in the in city of bronze in alaris. I recently had to fight some random magpie in the basement where dirk is and having barrage on my spam bar agroed crap up on the roof of the prison. I didnt die, i immediately slammed FD and put my rog merc on passive and finished off the bird.

Anyhow since we all know Z axis has been an issue since 1999 it would be nice if we had a better more updated option for focused clamor of claws
  8. Goodkitty Augur

DPS wise this cant be true. Your hate generating nuke is the best dps due to its refresh. Maelstrom is a close second. They're also way more consistent in use due to roar needing 3+ more targets to matter for aoe being dps.
  9. Goodkitty Augur

Situational DPs is garbage DPS. It's icing on the cake at best. I call this kind of stuff Rube Goldberg DPS. I'm not sure how a developer even balances the class around Rube Goldberg DPS unless its just a "Icing on the cake' mentality.
  10. fransisco Augur

Trash in raids is situational? Many classes have spells/abilities made for raiding in mind? Are all of them situational?

I'm really not sure what you're trying to say here
  11. Goodkitty Augur

It means the aoe properties of roar is irrelevant on your parse. Like a pet proc on your pet toy.
  12. strongbus Augur

It don't matter how many targets are up Roar is still going hit each one for the same base damage(there could only be 1 mob up and its still going do the damage to it). and if you don't use roar if you don't want a dead spot in your rotation you end up with a single target dd that don't do as much per hit. If you want to lower your dps because you rather use a single target dd that is lower damage then the aoe one go for it. But don't screw the rest of us over cause you to scared to use ae damage. and if i want to do more dps based on spell refresh i just chain cast our dots over and over as they are instant cast/recast.
  13. Fintank Augur

Isn't Roar your 2nd best DD on single targets after Maelstrom atm? AOE being on it just makes it cooler imo! (Pun intended)
  14. Szilent Augur

nah. As a sample data point, assembling this weekend's raids, our top parsing bst had avg hits of :

Rimeclaw's Maelstrom Rk. II 233906+235565+242574 = 712045
    Frozen Creep Rk. II 237599+190159 = 427758
    Hoarfrost Roar Rk. II 378125
    Forgebound Blood Rk. III 375903 (just the nuke bit, not counting dot bit or Vindication proc)
    Lazam's Chill Rk. III 360499 (just the nuke bit, not counting dot bit or Vindication proc)

another bst also used Mortimus' Bite Rk. II, had avg hit of 464432

it only takes two targets for Hoarfrost Roar to jump way up, but for plain single target damage cast for cast, it's not tops
  15. Bumkus Elder

Why would any Bst choose NOT to use Mortimus Bite? it is 2nd in my cast order, behind Maelstrom.
  16. Szilent Augur

I presume to economize spell gems? Didn't ask. Bite's productive on a cast-for-cast basis, but Frozen Creep is castable every tick
  17. Bumkus Elder

It would be interesting to hear their rationale.

Cast time is same for Bite as it is for all our other DDs (0.4 seconds), so i would pick that over every DD except Maelstrom. And even with 5 DDs loaded and no Bard quicktime running, i am still greyed out some percent of the time.

I am debating swapping out my 5th DD, which is my 112 Lance spell. This is the last Lance that does not share a timer with my 122 Lance spell. Thinking of putting Shriek at the Moon pet swarm spell in its place since they up'd the crit rate, but it has a longer cast time and it is less useful on short fights where mobs can die before the swarm fades.
  18. Romance Augur

Damage potential, and in the end dps, is decided at the time of the spell cast not as a division of their spell cast time vs damage over time.

Maelstrom and Frozen have the same cast time
    Maelstrom was 635k a cast for me this past weekend
    Frozen was 366k a cast for me

So if I choose to cast Frozen over Maelstrom because it has a lower cool down I'm choosing to do 269k less damage for that cast. It's a subtle difference when averaged over the course of a raid, but it will cause you to have a few more casts of frozen and a few less casts of maelstrom. As a result you'll overall less total damage or dps.

Most cakes have icing on them, and would not taste good without it. Generally speaking the difference between the top performer in any sport and someone who is average is often small. The icing in the cake makes all the difference.

This past weekend I had 60 casts of roar, I hit 272 targets (4.53 targets per cast), it is situational. But with the caveat that the situation is relatively common. There are even several raids where it would be the best spell to force rejuv.
    Szilent likes this.