How to lose the hard to lose players of EQ

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Corwyhn Lionheart, Mar 10, 2024.

1. CdeezNotes Augur

Second this.

Slowly working back to live. Every zone is an absolute ghost land. The implosion of grind exp and the conditioned acceptance of these awful one-time quests is just terrible game design. If you miss the boat the first month or two of the expansion you're doomed to slowly molo/box your way through some of the most monotonous, uninspired quests ever made. There's literally nothing redeeming about them except "levels go brrrrrr"

I mean, DPG knows it. Quest giver in TF: "You look like someone who has their fair share of [menial tasks] given to them. What's another for the books?

:rolleyes:
    Bilderov likes this.
  2. Bilderov Augur

1. I hear the same from you on every post like this. People who want to grind for exp do NOT want to sit in a static spot for 11 months pulling the same mobs. We want a dozen camps in each zone with varied mobs, exp and loots. What you are describing (ironically) is how the missions and tasks are played out - the same static instance over and over again. We want life in the game, not a cookie cutter approach.

2. I agree that no-one is forced to do anything but there has to be a level of feasibility in it. I could give up my job and walk the streets looking for dropped change. If I did it long enough, I could be a millionaire. The difference here and I've said this many times - for people that can do the missions / tasks / raids etc. they have both options - for players like me, there is just the one and it's that bad it ruins the game.

3. You also literally stated that one option to get to max level is to simply do overseer. Does that not sound crazy? Here's one option - log into the game for 5 minutes a day and never leave one zone and you too can be max level...

This is the state of the game we find ourselves playing...
  3. Bilderov Augur

I've easily levelled over a dozen characters past level 100 and I can remember all of the zones I go to up until about GoD. After that they just all become a blur until Gribbles which then takes me to lvl 100-ish.

After that it's just FM --> EW --> GD.

I just feel like they want you to do a quest or two in each zone and then move on. Half of the older zones (and practically all of the newer zones may as well not even have mobs in 75% of the zone as no-one bothers to kill them anymore.
  4. Riou EQResource

It would also be nice if they brought the 2 Teeks daily quests up to modern levels too, with a decent amount of EXP on completion

The solo quest side ends at 95, should be added in to at least 120 and be kept bare minimum like -5 level cap

The HA side ends pretty much around 100 as the HA system got abandoned, they don't even have to make many HA's to keep this in and going even at like a bare minimum of 1 per Expansion (or per level up one) to keep the daily to modern levels. It would also need to better prioritize levels for the HA or let you choose a level like the solo side and give a random one within that bracket
  5. Orablast Elder

I normally avoid threads like this when I start a new game, but Everquest will never be a new game for me, I haven't played since 2012. My wife is a new player and we're having so much fun right now. We started on FV with new characters.
  6. Muramx Augur

As someone who semi retired from EQ mid RoF. I almost walked away about a year ago. I couldn't decide if I wanted to transfer and see or quit. Then suddenly a couple days after almost buying a transfer token my friends list wasn't empty. One of my old guildies was on and he was playing with a couple other old guildies, suddenly the game was tolerable. Everything was terrible but we are bonded over how bad the game became.

They only play the first couple months of an expansion, and I do more on TLPs. Fore no matter how bad the game got, or how bad they mess up the TLPs. If I didn't have my friends that play now and then, or TLPs to actually group and not be forced to play an MMO alone, I would have uninstalled and never looked back.
  7. Sam Hyde "You're" on ignore

Is MTX supposed to be "microtransactions"? Because last I checked, TX means "Transmit" and "Texas"
  8. Thraine Augur

killing mobs in EQ has become mind numbing experience. after the bulk of the new expac is done week 2 into it, the only reason i kill mobs is for collections and even then i hate every second of it lol

Grinding has become a thing of the past sadly. i made a persona a few months ago but you cant level the damn things cause i dont have unlimited time to sit and grind 0.13% exp per mob. so its a wasted feature, just another unused tab on my inventory window :(
  9. mikey anchorage Journeyman

Last time i played and really had fun was doing heroes in east waste and using that xp to make new char and enjoy that new content. Not sure what happened here, but the incentives are all but gone. I think there must be new developers, because what is happening is NOT conducive to me sticking around. If i cant power level up a toon with toons i already made then that sure does cap me out. It is like they took what was fun and made sure to make it not fun on purpose. They actually tested this? I dunno if i will play much longer, i came back for a week and im like there is no excitement because my lower level guys level so slow its stupid. Im pretty sure that this is the beginning of the end for EQ.
    Joules_Bianchi likes this.
  10. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Killing mobs was a much less painful experience when they had actual...experience. People WANTED fast pull grind groups because the were efficient and dropped enough loot per hour to feed 6 mouths.

It's not the grind, it's the robbing the XP to make it seem like a grind. Mission cycling requires downtime, which is pause for monetization.

a non stop fast grind group doesn't stop to shop.

They just level and make some loots

and something something Banestrike and something something Kill count achievements over there.

5,000 mobs?

Shi...rt I wish they had more XP
    Barton-Vox and Shurman like this.
  11. JeffHanson Augur

Evolving items (as well as ultra-rare loot and rare tradeskill drops) are designed to encourage people to use automation and reward those who do. Why? More people using automation leads to more krono sales.
  12. Buds Augur

I hate missions. I started playing EQ in 1999 and there were no missions. It was WAY more fun then. You got exp from killing mobs! I'm all for having missions, for people who want to do that, but let the people who enjoy EQ like it was, killing mobs for exp and loot, still enjoy that. I have lifetime accounts and I stopped playing, shortly after the new expansion. I like how the new expansion is, just can't stand the mission non sense. That should be something extra. I really want to love EQ again, but I don't like the new format. I also wish they would go back to the ores, not the new essences.
    Fenthen and Roxxanna like this.
  13. Velisaris_MS Augur

I do too. Unfortunately, the devs have decided they are the necessary evil to get anything done.

I find it ironic that certain people on this forum will constantly knock the idea of sitting in a zone and just mindlessly killing mobs to advance their charcter, but will have zero issue gleefully running missions and/or raids over and over ad nauseum to advance their character.

There is literally no difference, so both paths should be viable and accepted as a preferred playstyle and allow players to achieve their goals. If the devs are worried that people will just go back an expansion and grind out levels instead of utilizing the new content they spent the better part of a year developing, then perhaps it's time to put out better content.
    Buds and Barton-Vox like this.
  14. Cicelee Augur

I still enjoy the game, sorry you do not.
    Bilderov and fransisco like this.
  15. fransisco Augur

Honestly, people on this forum will knock literally ANYTHING. Either it gives someone else an advantage they don't/didn't have, or they just want to fight and attack other people out of bordom/pettyness. Its called forum wars for a reason. They don't want change, they just want to win - even at the cost of actual change.
    Nennius likes this.
  16. Bilderov Augur

And I'm glad you do enjoy the game. It's people like you that kept the game going whenever I drop out of love for it.
  17. Thraine Augur

i agree 100%. however when they think im stopping playing to shop, they are sorely mistaken, if i have to stop i just go find another game that i can actually play for as much time as i want. enshrouded has been a nice distraction since LS stuff has been done since late january.
    Bilderov likes this.
  18. Bilderov Augur

Grateful for the mention about Enshrouded. It looks good. I've just gone back to PoE for the first time in years and am having a blast with it so far.
  19. Bobokin Augur

• The per-kill Alternate Advancement experience cap is now applied before most server and character-based experience modifiers to be more consistent with leveling experience.
  20. Bobokin Augur

But but but .... TLPs are the saving grace of Everquest!
  21. Bobokin Augur

Our guild and sister guild went from over 30 active real players with 300 characters to 5 real players with 50 characters in less than five years. Our one whale who always made the guild hall teleportation purchase and opened hundreds of dollars of loot boxes each time a new one was in the store gave us a one month notice and quit the game outright last September. His reason: Everquest isn't any fun anymore, and it is time to go.

We are a casual guild, so maybe that is part of it, but my three best raiding friends have left as well.

Players and developers don't have to listen to the lowly Bobokin, but when Corwyhn Lionheart says with sincerity it is getting so bad that he is contemplating leaving the game or just playing casually on autopilot with one account, people had better listen.

"That's it... and look upon this moment. Savor it! Rejoice with great gladness! Great gladness! Remember it always, for you are joined by it. You are One, under the stars. Remember it well, then... this night, this great victory. So that in the years ahead, you can say, 'I was there that night, with Arthur, the King!' For it is the doom of men that they forget." - Merlin
    Risiko likes this.
  22. Vizier Augur

When you have a company that makes changes that actively drive people away for years on end you get EQ in the state its currently in.

Balance and tune classes? Nah lets nerf exp to mobs in the wild.
    Delete useless spell lines and make current ones more interesting? Nah lets nerf exp to missions.
    Revamp visuals and update code to remove lag? Nah Luclin models for 50 years and 64bit lag fests for all!

I havent played in years, the all access on my name is because of permanent accounts that I have no use for.
    Bobokin likes this.