Another plea to make chase items compatable with Personas.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Goratoar, Mar 13, 2024.

1. Goratoar Elder

I understand that it has been stated that there are no plans to update chase items to allow their usage with personas. Currently, this is the situation:

Chase items from TBL are limited to armor archetype (plate, chain, leather, silk), while chase items from later are limited to a weird form of class archetype (caster, priest, rog/mnk/zrk, bst/rng, war/pal/sk/brd). This means that in order for a persona to use some amount of chase you need one of two things; you have to be connected by either of these two archetypes or you have to have a free chase slot that your class does not optimally use and destroy and remake it on the persona that you want to use it on.

Both of these things are pretty unacceptable in terms of adhering to EQ's MO for advancement. EQ has always allowed a way for you to have everything if you work enough at it, and I think that in terms of Personas this should be no different.

So, what can be done? The easiest option for devs would be to simply make the fully leveled and completed versions of each chase item all/all. The differences between the versions of these items is fairly minimal, and I feel the effort to fully maximize them justify the ability to use them on personas. You could decide on some median level of stats for the final item, or increase all stats to cover the differences between the current versions.

If you wanted to get fancy about it, you could at the very least make them swappable between different archetypes with a claim button (like weapon augs are) or implement a difficult quest to make them all/all once complete.

Additionally, one of the main draws of personas (that you don't need as much gear to equip them because all non-visible slots are transferable) is hampered by you needing to pick up gear from these slots.

It doesn't really matter how this is handled, but many people will not touch personas conceptually unless they are able to be 100% as strong as any other character (this also includes revamping type 3 augs, but that's a whole different issue).

I think it is a fair reward for the effort put into chase items for them to be available for all personas.
    Kendeth, Piemastaj, Fenthen and 2 others like this.
  2. Gindainy New Member

Agree that this would be a good change. It is one of the major downsides to personas vs. alts right now.

Another alternative solution may be just making these items non-lore. It may not work well for Rallos Ear, but for TBL/NoS/LS versions that may be a simple fix. It would require leveling them again, but it would be better than not being able to have them at all.
  3. fransisco Augur

Would making them all/all mean eliminating most of them? Everyone would just take the tank one for the higher ac. Outside of hdex and ac, no other stats really matter
  4. Smokezz The Bane Crew

At the very least, make it lore equipped.
    Szilent and fransisco like this.
  5. fransisco Augur

That would be a great and easy fix - just make them lore group equip
  6. Gialana Augur

Yes, it would be nice to be able to convert between the archetypes for Personas. However, I don't like the idea of making the final evolution All/All since that would limit it to raiding Personas/Mains. If that were a chosen option, hopefully all levels of evolution would be All/All instead. I don't know, though, if people would dislike not having archetype-specific items for their characters.
  7. Gindainy New Member

I don't think there's any effective difference between making them lore equipped and just removing lore altogether though, right? Since they share the same slot anyway it'd be the same either way. Maybe one is easier to code for some reason?
  8. Gialana Augur

That sounds right for most of them. There is the ring from TBL and Earring from ToV, though. I'm betting they'd want to at least have lore equipped on those two items.
  9. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Well... the Rallos earring, you'd be able to use two of them. The TBL ring, you'd be able to use two. No big deal for live, since you wouldn't bother anymore, TLP it would matter. Lore equipped avoids that.
  10. DeadRagarr Augur

Lore Equip Group basically.

That way when Evolve_Ring_02 comes out you can loot as many as you want but can only equip one at a time so you can't just slot multiple items evolve items. Essentially that one change would fix the entire system equipping at least.

*edit: Same with the Legacies neck. You can reloot a new neck, have all the achievements, then just XP them up. Evolve them to a different version and have them all.
  11. Gindainy New Member

Oh right, good point. I forgot there was a ring from TBL since it's way past being useful now. I was assuming the ToV Ear would probably not work well here since it's actually a bunch of hidden flags and would be a lot harder to code.
  12. Barraind Grumpy Old Bastage

You sort of do that with every other gear choice already, outside the belt slot (where your choice ends up being "do i cast spells go brrrr" or "do I just stab things"). Its not like it would be anything out of the ordinary.