QA In Progress Unusual amount of archery misses recently (pulling)

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by feytalangel, Dec 28, 2023.

1. feytalangel New Member

Playing a rogue I have used archery (bow/arrows) to pull for ages. Many many years. I know there are other options but I like the range I get from a good bow/arrow combo.

Since the expansion came out I've noticed a HUGE increase in the amount of times I miss when firing an arrow at a mob to pull it. At first I thought it might be the few points of archery I needed to max out again at lvl 125, and that did seem to make a little difference however I still have to sometimes fire 10+ arrows to get a mobs attention. This is after years of missing very very rarely, maybe (typically a stack of 100 arrows meant 100 pulls, or very very close to that).

Now it is incredibly common to miss multiple times. So much so that, at this point, I've just been hitting autofire instead of firing off multiple single shots.

I've heard at least 4-5 others in our guild mentioning seeing the same behavior (warriors mostly).

I'm not sure if this is intentional or not. Just looking for some info. Are others experiencing this? Is this intentional? Changes to how archery works?
    Barton-Vox, Arial, Emmwun and 9 others like this.
  2. Kendeth Augur

Barton-Vox and Andarriel like this.
  3. Shea Lorekeeper

If it was a line of sight issue, you would get a message that you can't 'hit it from here' etc. etc.

Arrows are fired, can be seen flying towards the mob, but the mob just sits there. Eventually one will hit and it will agro.
    Toukan and Svann2 like this.
  4. Shea Lorekeeper

So I had some time to play with this a bit and actually look at what is happening.

Typically I don't have 'my misses' turned on as it just creates more unneeded log spam. Turning them on I see that, as Kendeth mentioned, I am not seeing misses or hits, HOWEVER I also do not see line of sight issues where I get 'can't see/hit your target from here' type warnings. In some cases I can see the mobs feet just fine. I can fire my bow with no problems and watch the arrow speed toward the target.

in every case, I can turn on autofire (or just keep hitting single range attack) and eventually I will get a hit (or miss which also seems to grab the mobs attention). Sometimes after 1 or 2 shots, sometimes 10-15 or more.

That is what is odd. without moving at all, I will eventually get the mobs attention.

With the issues in the other thread (I've commented on that one as well about the goblins in FF mission), I actually DO get you can't see/hit your target warnings even if the mob is right in front of me. This seems like a slightly different issue, but maybe related?

Edit: I did this testing on aviaks in Unkempt Woods
    fransisco, Kendeth and Fanra like this.
  5. Darkryft New Member

This happens with the rockborn mobs in Heros Forge. Every single time. No misses, no line-of-sight messages.
  6. Vukk New Member

Seeing same behavior with the worgs in Ankexfen Keep.

Shoot an arrow, no miss message, no hit, no warning about not being able to see the mob.

Keep shooting without moving and eventually you will get a miss or a hit and the mob will agro.
  7. Benluil New Member

I had noticed this issue with pulling as well. This week I also I also found very low dps on headshot-able mobs in Timorous Falls. I realized that the same thing was happening - no miss, no hit, no 'could not see target' message. The next night dps was normal in the same spot and same mobs. A few nights later, low dps again.
  8. Shea Lorekeeper

Please please please acknowledge this/look into it.

I have been doing more mission running than anything else recently but went to go do some named farming and this was extremely bad on Worgs in Timorous Falls. I found I could easily shoot 20+ arrows without getting agro. No warning messages, just nothing. If I hit a clicky debuf (cancel magic) it landed without issue and pulled.

This is NOT a line of site/can't see mob issue though it may be tied to that. Pulling with arrows has been a staple for ages and having to resort to other methods is a massive PITA.
    Toukan likes this.
  9. Jeebs New Member

It would be nice if you would look into this. Having an 80%+ hit to archery damage is not fun, especially as a ranger.

I am having the same issue as the others. I can target a mob on a completely flat portion of the zone. The archery animation is shown; I am not given an error about not being able to hit the mob, nor am I getting messages that the arrows miss. Just...nothing. It resolves when the arrow has some kind of proc, at which point the mob is hit and will aggro. When the mob moves it gets hit more often, but not at the same rate as would be expected.

This issue is primarily seen in Timorous Falls.
  10. Exmortis_MT Augur

I have noticed this as well while pulling with my SK. Most recently in The Overthere.

If I pull at long range while not moving and the mob is also not moving, the shot seems to miss, yet no message.

However if I keep advancing and take the shot, it hits.

I am used to missing if the mob moves out of range during the shot, however this miss happens even on static mobs. These misses due to target moving out of range are recorded with an out of range message.

Seems like an issue with range calculation. Since I only use archery on pulls, I see this often at extreme range. I will however pay closer attention to see if it happens closer up as well.
  11. Conq Augur

This has been a thing for years. My work-around is instead of firing a single arrow, I use a macro - /autofire on. Then, eventually whether I am running towards or strafing around the mob I have targeted, one hits and aggros.
    Conq
  12. minimind The Village Idiot

I have the same experience with throwing axes as a berserker. It seems to be related to distance and positioning, but I'm yet to record the variables as the problem presents.

1. See mob at distance
    2. Hit bandolier/autofire hotkey
    3. See throwing animations, hear throwing sounds, watch axes disappear
    4. No hit or miss info
    5. No aggro or damage on mob
    6. Move 10-15 feet closer and axes start to land (or miss), mob aggros
  13. Jeebs New Member

If it was simply on pulling, I wouldn't have as much of an issue. Unfortunately, I can get the mob to camp, have it positioned and tanked properly, and shoot a bunch of arrows at the mob only for a large portion of them to not even be acknowledged by EQ. No miss message, no "out of range", no "can't hit them from here", just nothing. Obviously this affects my ranger's dps output quite significantly.
  14. Shea Lorekeeper

From what I have seen, position doesn't seem to make much difference. I can stand in one spot and hit autofire, and eventually I'll get a mobs attention. Might take 2 arrows, might take 30, but eventually it works.
  15. minimind The Village Idiot

I'll keep that in mind with my axe-throwing and test it. I don't think I've let it go past ~8 or so wasted axes personally, but now there's a theory to test!
  16. Shea Lorekeeper

Another fun note is that I can fire several arrows that do nothing, stop, and if within range hit a clicky spell (like Cancel Magic) which lands just fine. The problem for me is that clickies don't have the same range as a good bow/arrow combo, and cast times/refresh doesn't measure up either.
  17. wulfnar69 New Member

Just ran out of arrows i have had for a while...probably had 1500...as soon as i bought more....i hit one out of ten to twelve shots...its very annoying and wasteful....what did you change about arrow stats or hit rates?
  18. Ratalthor Developer

We have not been able to reproduce this issue on our end. Are there specific NPCs you see this issue more frequently? Can you share any map coordinates where this issue happens?
  19. fransisco Augur

Is this only happening to people at max distance? If you are much closer does it happen as often or at all?
  20. Jeebs New Member

I've seen it happen in three zones:
    • Maiden's Eye (ToL) - In the fort against Akhevans
    • Timorous Falls - Any humanoid on the east side of the zone (Lunatic, Bunion camps)
    • Hero's Forge - Against reborn, spiritforged, or forgebound mobs
    It doesn't matter if they are near or far from what I can tell. Sometimes when pulling with archery I'll send 10 arrows out that don't aggro the mob until one of the arrows procs something which will aggro it. I can also get it to camp and be standing very close (at kick distance) and send a bunch of arrows at it with maybe 25% being recognized. Please note again, they aren't really "missing" as I don't get a miss message and don't draw aggro when pulling. It's like the arrows aren't recognized by the mob at all.
    Also, it seems like the areas in question work fine some of the time. But other times they have this issue. I do not know what the difference is.