Someone explain to me why FTE is so hated, I don't get it.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Hinastorm86, Mar 7, 2024.

1. Fizon Augur

That's kind of everyone's point. Oakwynd was DoA. There wasn't any open world competition so why bother? I know y'all will argue it was the dupe that killed Oakwynd and your partially correct but at the same time the population wasn't great to begin with.

I played for 4 or 5 years on a couple tlps now and I can only remember getting purposely trained maybe twice? It's a heavy handed response to a problem over blown on forums.
    Fluid and MasterMagnus like this.
  2. SnapVine Augur

the feature to enable open world dps racing already exists and is enabled for several mobs, so its just a matter of updating the list.

dpg can make the call on if training was ever a problem or just something we made up. they are the ones that have to deal with all the tickets
  3. Fluid Augur

I guess you never read my post outlining how I play the game!

It 100% adversely effects my game evert freaking minute I am playing a FTE server. Even when I am playing solo, I can't snare a MOB that is killing another player because of FTE.

This is a suspension of disbelief for me. It is a bridge to far. Watch a couple of videos of good Samaritans stopping purse snatchers or something. It does not fit even in a fantasy world!
    OldTimeEQ1 and Tyranthraxus like this.
  4. fransisco Augur

I bet this is it. All those "bad luck adds" and stuff were never coincidental. Its just obvious now that they were intentional.
    code-zero likes this.
  5. Azzlann Elder

We are in agreement there, thats one of the main things I was asking for is OW raid mobs to be exempt. At least any that people actually compete over. This would affect small guilds and individuals nearly zero. Open up some Classic/Kunark/Velious targets and then PoP and forward. I would be totally happy if this is all they did, (although I have a couple other small requests).
    Fizon likes this.
  6. Indigo_Quarmite Augur

I wouldn't say its hated. It doesn't function well is all.

If in fact mischief rules are implemented with random and free trade - who cares - on mischief we had to give away group loot basically so its pretty meaningless and actually a nice feature so no one can snipe your pull. There is nothing to exploit regarding rares and loot since loot is random and free trade.

Now regarding exp it is more exploitable....I also think they need to find a way to stop the PL bots that abuse this to aggro entire zones and then everyone else is screwed unless you park a wizard on top of them to KS once they yell it. If you grief them long enough they will give up and move on. Before FTE it was pretty easy to snap pulls off a PL botter now they kind of have it easy. Some GM enforcement would go a long way if they went back to GM enforcement like Aradune/Rizlona.

I think its nice on raid mobs if it can be tweaked to require damage done to mob and only allow for like a 5 minute head start. Truly rewards first in force to get going and crank out some dmg - if someone beats you after a 5 minute head start... I mean tough luck thems the breaks.

Given a few tweaks - not upset about FTE.
    As is - kind of bleh but whatever not a deal breaker.

Mischief rules solve almost all of the problems.
    OldTimeEQ1 and MasterMagnus like this.
  7. Demetri Augur

I did, you are a case where /yell remedies it.

I do it regularly. I use /yell. I in fact was doing it just before my lunch 30 min or so ago. (maybe longer than that, in-laws have a car issue they called about during lunch so it feels like it was 3 hrs, lol)

Yes, those good Samaritans that do so after a cry for help... one could even say a /yell for help...

In the case where people try to intervene on assumption rather than a call for help, legal repercussions often don't favor the good Samaritan.
  8. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Well I think it's probably quite an edge case. But /yell does disambiguate the situation.

Interesting point.
  9. NuffanTuit Nuffan Tuit on Innoruuk Server

Oakwynd was far from DOA...

FTE was not about training...FTE was about high level characters dominating content . The training part was an added bonus to a different issue.

The biggest Exodus on Oakwynd happened in the first week of Luclin when Legacy AA did not work with AA. and a lot of level 60 characters with 7 level 60 alts were none too happy about it. then 6 days later the tradeskill depot issue came in through the patch. A lot of people quit the following day as they literally got wiped out in bazaar. People selling krono at going rates sold 40-50 krono...wake up and find they were cleaned out and they were currently selling for 2 million plat per. people who had 1000's of spiderling silks up for 3-5pp and woke up to none left and people selling them for 500p each.

The two on top of one another really ate away at the population earlier than most TLP servers. That is why Oakwynd will have another huge drop off in May with a new server. It was not an issue with FTE even the early bugs were quickly resolved.

Are there players that avoided Oakwynd because of FTE....YES....did it make it DOA....not even close.
    Eryndhel and OldTimeEQ1 like this.
  10. OldTimeEQ1 Augur

Compared to Mischief - Oakwynd's population always was lacklustre to begin with (Of course bad comparison I agree, to the most successful and most populated TLP EVER in EQ's history.).

It was not DOA or anything though I agree. The double punch of AA exp not working for legacy (Well done of course DPG, since you could not check the handful of ways to get exp!) and the depot bug killed it though
  11. Demetri Augur

It's not much of an edge case (in the US at least), even "stand your ground" type states tend to treat an intervention on instinct, rather than a call for help, as assault against the perp.

Same goes for most Samaritan medical care if the person is conscious. Unconscious you're safe to make MANY (although not all) reasonable assumptions, but if someone is conscious and they have a broken leg or whatever and you insist on helping them when they're not agreeing to it, huge potential liability.
  12. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

???
    I mentioned /yell. I'm talking about the game, not the real world.
    o_O
    Tyranthraxus and OldTimeEQ1 like this.
  13. Demetri Augur

Oh whoops - I don't see game side being an edge case, PLing or otherwise assisting with an outside character has always been a pretty common occurrence in my EQ'ing life be it myself or a friend, I'd be hard pressed to think of a week I was playing where such didn't occur a number of times.

(You had quoted the RL analogy portion - is primary reason I assumed it was in relation to that)
  14. Intercept Augur

I mean people who wanted to play EQ had every server other than Mischief while people who wanted 3x random loot only had Mischief, obviously it had lots of players those players only had 1 choice.
  15. CdeezNotes Augur

The amount of good Samaritans running wild on EQ is probably outnumbered 100 to 1 compared to the disrupting KSers and hurr durr choochooers.

The latter I saw daily on Adadune. The former I saw...never? Maybe once?

Your problem is solved with a basic 5 character command (/yell)

FTE should be near the bottom of your list of things disrupting your disbelief. How do you even begin to rationalize instancing, picks, microtransactions, etc?
    Shurman likes this.
  16. Azzlann Elder

I agree with the first part of your statement if youre saying the good people outweigh the bad. Thats one of the reason its crazy that everyone acts like half the eq world is toxic.
    Fluid likes this.
  17. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

changes noone asked for like FTE and alphabet rabbits take priority over basic functionality of their game.

Changing core mechanics of a game older then the devs making the changes pissing off the boomers they view as a perk, not an obstacle.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, during luclin expansion, take a year and a half, no exaggeration, to fix a core mechanic of mobs in the cuurrent, the older AND the instanced versions of Umbral Plains, or the DirectX patch breaking playability of EQ for many people gets zero priority because it's not sold in the marketplace,

In 20+ years i derailed MANY trains and saved MANY lower level / poorly geared / outnumbered players and got 1) thanked 2) an add to my friendlist. FTE is an utter waste of EQ d3v time the noone wanted to begin with.

Players not having fun, in EQ or in life, want to cast shade on other players' successes. Nerf the AoE, nerf the XP, nerf the mechanics

Thin skinned devlopers who hate players for pointing out their errors more than theyty wish to accept and correct errors. It's is so VERY Actiblizzard to just double down on every poor decision and wait for the next development arc.

(yet somehow ignore 13,000 threads on scripting and Automation and how the poor devs can not ever defeat them , because..."reasons")

(like hrmm just WHO wrote these programs and profits off them? sure must be more familiar with EQ than the devs themselves...

/ponder

People that are sad
    Sometimes they wear a frown
    And people that are kings
    Soometimes they wear a crown
    But all the people who don't fit
    They get the only fun they get
    From people puttin' people down
    People puttin' people down
    ~John Prine
    Fluid and Shurman like this.
  18. Kahna Augur

Except that there is no way DPG put the time and effort into developing FTE just because of the forums. They did it because they have metrics we can't see, like the number and type of CS tickets being submitted and based on those metrics they decided something needed to be done to reduce CS time and cost. The forums didn't play into this choice in the slightest. They also have the metrics from Oakwynd to tell them if it accomplished what they wanted it to. That, and that alone, will determine if it goes on any future servers.
    Eryndhel and Demetri like this.
  19. jeskola pheerie

Not on test
    Fluid likes this.
  20. CdeezNotes Augur

And this discussion isn't about test, so yeah, thanks for providing nothing of value