A minor but cool request for TLP2024 - All races/classes

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Demetri, Mar 10, 2024.

1. Demetri Augur

I realize that the "All races/classes in Classic" concept has been long since determined to be a dead horse, but with Tormax/Teek looking like they will start in Kunark it makes me wonder if classes/races from day 1 would be more plausible as one race is already covered [and arguably the most annoying one for dev purposes, since they couldn't integrate into the old world well due to faction issues]. (and of course class combos - midget hybrids ahoy)

For the unrepresented classes (BST/Zerk) that's relatively trivial.

For the unrepresented races some would be easier than others - but I think all could be done without too much disruption.

i.e. Frogloks - obviously can be turned on immediately with no real impact
    Drakkin - Would need a new temporary home (I'd suggest Qeynos or Freeport, since they're basically humans for class options) - and leave the racial breath weapon quests in TSS
    Vah Shir - Would need a temporary home as well - could in theory adjust the population of Kerra Ridge to allow a small encampment in Toxx until Luclin opens.

Doesn't seem to me like it would require a ton of dev time invested (besides Epic 1.0 adjustments to earlier xpacs - honestly, might have to just be a sacrifice made) to do and would let those that know they want to be a Zerk/BST eventually not be forced into the grind of "well, gonna switch in two expacs, guys!" that always feels awkward.
    Ddezul likes this.
  2. Tyranthraxus Grognard

In before Waring explains why we can't ask for this.

I fully support this idea, except for the drakkin, just delete those.
  3. Arclyte Augur

4. username17 New Member

While I would love to play a Barbarian Paladin I don't see this happening.

Every non-standard race/class combo would need a separate home.
    PoK is probably the easiest choice since it has Class GMs, Spell Vendors, and no faction issues.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Never going to happen as there are issues with that such as missing graphics, missing items, missing tradeskill items, and faction issues among other things. If it was possible they would have done that for personas instead of changing your race/gender for each class you want to start.
    fransisco likes this.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Or they use crescent reach which is where they stick every race/class now for ftp players and give that option for all other players.
  7. Zansobar Augur

Why do people keep beating this dead horse? DPG has no money, they can't be spending resources on minor things like this.
  8. Demetri Augur

Errrr - perhaps I didn't phrase my idea well enough in the initial...

I only meant the delayed options that aren't available day one of the server - not anything currently unavailable.

i.e. no gnome monks - but yes to gnome paladins (/vomit personally)
  9. Demetri Augur

I'd argue that it's not minor to many, while I'm not a BST or Zerk fan myself, I know of a host of people that every TLP cycle commit to playing something like a necro for the first 6 months or year with the full intent of trashing the character for their BST/Zerk after.

(And I'm sure there's some that do similar with races, but to a muted degree compared to classes)
  10. Demetri Augur

11. Demetri Augur

12. SnapVine Augur

i think they should look at all content that already exists and make sure it is being made available at the earliest time for people to get use out of it and keep them interested (paying). existing race/class combos that are locked behind a later expansion is a good example. CT revamp also drops a bit too late for barely anyone to bother to go there, should probably be moved to some time in luclin. There are probably other examples of existing content that is not used as much as it would be just because of when it unlocks.
    Demetri likes this.
  13. Arclyte Augur

letting people play the class they want at a TLP launch will increase the number of subscribers, for starters

talking about beastlords, berserkers etc. Unlocking every class for every race doesn't make sense for a lot of races, and not something I'd want to see happen to EQ
    Demetri likes this.
  14. Demetri Augur

Re: CT revamp, 99% sure that's already been moved to SoL, no? Which seems appropriate for the gear quality. Similar to the Blackened Alloy weapons in RunnyEye delaying it's 2.0 until Velious where they're not absurd for the level. (Although the BA armor could absolutely be in earlier - but I doubt they'd want to parse the drop table into portions vs a simple switch flip)

But I'm sure there's occasional cases to find and adjust the availability of beyond delayed race/class combos - but likely would need the client base to help find those outliers.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

There are still balance issues with allowing for classes before the expansion that they came with and a lot of work to move races around for little gain. It would be better to unlock the expansions that allow them and just level lock the server to limit progression speed.
  16. Arclyte Augur

[IMG]

I already know what you're going to say, and you're wrong. Just stop. Go away.
    Dominate, Dre. and Tyranthraxus like this.
  17. Demetri Augur

Vaniki says otherwise - those later expacs warp the heck out of early balance even with level locks.

Also I could easily argue that such balance could be throttled easily with a few select spells/abilities not being sold until later. (i.e. Fero, SD, and BST pet proc spells being delayed for BST come to mind)
  18. SnapVine Augur

I think they moved CT around a few times, and landed on LoY/PoP. It was out in Velious on Vulak, which was too early. It might have been luclin on a different server according to some threads here. LoY is apparently historically accurate but also kind of makes it mostly useless. (https://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/EQ:Progression_Servers lists LoY currently)

The request for class/race opening seems like it could be broken up into different options:
    1. release combos where both the class and race exist in classic, even if the combo itself was released later (e.g. Gnome SK in classic)
    2. release race/class combos as long as the race exists in classic. only release new races when their expansion unlocks. (e.g. Troll Beastlord in classic, but no Vah Shir beastlords until luclin)
    3. release all races at the start of the server even if their home city doesn't exist. give them a temporary home city, but only release classes when their related expansion unlocks. (e.g. Vah Shir Rogues in classic, but no beastlords until luclin)
    4. immediately release all combos that will ever exist (e.g. Vah Shir Beastlords in classic)

1 seems like an easy yes to me, the others are interesting to think about how much effort they would take and potential issues that could come up
  19. Demetri Augur

Yea, I'd aim for 4 - but even 2 would help the people I'm advocating for. (and on dev's maximizing profitability side of things, would likely encourage race changes down the road for some)

And interesting on CT 2.0, if accurate, I never messed with it too much outside of Vulak and previous when it was out FAAAAAR too early and highly in demand as a result.
  20. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You may argue that it warps balance but the fact remains that is what is required for them to unlock beastlords and berserkers at server launch.