Newb looking for server

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Durdrik, Feb 10, 2024.

1. Durdrik New Member

Hey I'm an eq2 refugee. I'm currently on whatever the popular rp server is. Fie or vie something lol. Anyways I'm looking to see what server is suggested for a new player.
    Also I'm liking the magician so far at 10. Maybe he gets super complex but is that or any class not overly complex to jump in at higher level from getting the newest xpac? May not happen immediately but I still have my eq2 sub going so I have those bonuses right now.
    Thanks
  2. Cidran Augur

Welcome!

Magician is a good caster-dps choice, and also a good soloer. All classes can get a bit complicated at higher level, but Magician can be summed up by casting as many nukes as your tank or pet's aggro meter allows you.

Your current server has a special ruleset (Firiona Vie), even though it's 'roleplaying preferred', rp is not common. Among other things, it has very few no-drop tags and also an experience bonus.

If you still have your sub going you might want to check Oakwynd, it's a progression server currently on Planes of Power (4th expansion), a good choice if you want to know what older EQ was about and how it evolved over time. Oakwynd also has the FTE (first to engage) feature, which is similar to EQ2's encounter-locking.
  3. Flatchy Court Jester

If you are just looking for a Live server that is NOT TLP head to Bristlebane it is probably one of the biggest population live servers other than FV. Grouping in the lower levels is pretty hit and miss unless your not against making an effort and looking. Lots of guilds on BB calling out every day for new recruits and there are a lot of casual guilds that do get a lot done. If you do give BB a try let me know a player name and ill send ya a couple hundred thousand plat to help you get started.
    OldTimer and Barton-Vox like this.
  4. uberkingkong Augur

Join server with your playstyle, if you on FV for the ruleset thats fine.

What matters is if you want to enjoy the game, gotta join a guild, can't just LFG, there is no LFG really on Live.

You playing EQ to play with others right, so thats where the guild comes in.
    If your a returning, guild doesn't matter so much, you have some reason why your back, you already know what to expect.

But a newplayer, I'm assuming you want to play with others, enjoy EQ for EQ. Join a guild. Just ask whose the biggest casual guild, then join them.

Best experience for newplayer, experience as in playing the game, TLPs. Newest TLP has been out for awhile so, not as good, so its a waiting game now.
  5. ShadowWolf5144 New Member

Why would a a TLP be best for a newbie? I ask because I myself am a newbie and currently on Vox. I am. Not far in my current progression as I don't have much time these days. I'm a very casual gamer with sporadic login times and durations.
  6. Riou EQResource

TLP's are more basic and have like half the features disabled until they unlock at appropriate expansions, so you can ease into the modern game if you stick with that kind of server, it makes it easier to add 1 more thing each unlock then having to figure everything out from 0 like a live server would have to
  7. pessimist New Member

fellow new player here: im playing on FV till the new TLP drops. Oakwynd feels too far ahead and complicated for me to jump in so im just doing the tutorial.
  8. OldTimer Journeyman

Can you server move from a TLP to a live server? If you can that is the way for a newbie to do it. TLP's are packed with players at low levels. So everyone levels and goes to many packed zones till level 60. Then they become empty. If you wanna keep playing to 125 etc. You gotta be on a non TLP server
  9. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Why do you say that? There's lots of TLP servers at various level caps.

Mangler - level 115
    Aradune/Rizlona - level 100
    Mischief/Thornblade - level 90
    Yelinak - level 75
    Oakwynd - level 65

I'm on Mangler and planning to finish the run to level 125, what makes you think that won't work?
  10. Dre. Altoholic

FV server good minus the language bs
    Magician is a powerhouse
    More buttons to push the higher you get in levels
  11. GnomeGnomeGnome Elder

Ya, I am also doing the same thing. Came back after a short break, and building a character on FV until May, then starting fresh on the new TLP. In fact, I have started 8 characters on FV, just practicing some of the low level stuff while I decide what to play in May. So hard to decide.
  12. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

None of the current TLP have the Laurion's Song unlocked. That's the expansion where the level is raised to 125. Thus, you need to be on Live to get to 125 at this time only because there are no TLP that have it available.

When Terror of Luclin opens on Mangler (end of June this year?), their max level will be 120 unless they are merged to a Live server. If they aren't merged to Live until they unlock LI, then you would be able to get to 125 on a TLP.