How to lose the hard to lose players of EQ

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Corwyhn Lionheart, Mar 10, 2024.

1. Toni Xelphi of Bristlebane

So he gets to hold the dev's hostage because he runs a guild? not sure how any of that is relevant.

Post on forums, gets traction from other players, get changes. Nobody's voice is more important than anyone else.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Rijacki like this.
  2. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Sure just like how, “All animals are equal but some are more equal than others.”

The fact is if he wants change, then he and other casual guild leaders need to make a move, and the only language that works is money. It’s no different than the big guilds of yesteryear threatening to cancel, example Furor and Tiggole. The 2004 Guild Summit only happened because they were losing too many subscribers.

Money talks, forum posts are useless unless you’re posting about something fun which will end up nerfed. He should’ve posted on Discord, and not on a Sunday.
  3. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

One other thing I wish they would reconsider is taking the XP off of tasks and missions redone after you've completed them. It makes it less appealing to group up with those lower level who are returning to the game or who created new characters on top of the effect to personas.

I've been grouping with a couple who returned to Live after playing TLPs a while.
    Ozon likes this.
  4. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I havent bought any kronos for the last 2 years. The only way they get more sub money from me is if I run out of kronos and I feel its worth subbing for again at that point. And I could run out faster if I think its worthwhile buying chase loot.

For me not understanding why they keep messing with exp sucks a bunch of fun out of it for me. We keep bearing the brunt of the changes and we have no idea what they are trying to do.
    Windance and KushallaFV like this.
  5. Strawberry Augur

Current developers don't seem to understand EQ. The magic of EQ was the adventure, the discovery of new zones, the challenge and risk involved in defeating mobs and the social fabric it created.

No one played for the questing. No one even cares about the tasks involved in creating instances, the magic is the instance itself, not the task. Most people couldn't care less what the task or mission is about, what matters it the opportunity it creates to go on an adventure, to defeat mobs, and to socialize.

No one cares about quests, and Overseer is horrendous.
    Fenthen, Bobbybick and Petalonyx like this.
  6. Tyranthraxus Grognard

To be brutally honest, their probably trying to justify their jobs, in a corporate environment that only values innovation and not fixing whats broken. So they come up with new ideas to pile on top of existing spaghetti building a taller and taller house of cards.

Answer this honestly. If they announced
    "We are not going to make a new expansion this year, and instead focus on fixes for 3 years to prepare for a new graphic overhaul and new models in say 5 years time. We will limit efforts to annual fresh TLP's with already made rulesets to maintain revenue." (which given the size of the team would not be an easy goal) How many people would quit?

They don't have the personnel to build a fully fleshed out annual expansion at this point. JChan literally said manpower is their biggest limit. But corporate daddy isn't giving them more people.
    Fenthen likes this.
  7. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

One of the quesions in the AMA was if EXP could be returned to quest from ROS - LS. Hopefully as LS has EXP they will put EXP on quests from previous expansions.

Grabbing merc quests when grinding out NPCs is a great way of getting a little extra EXP in LS and expansions prior to ROS.
    Rijacki likes this.
  8. Bilderov Augur

Fully agree with the OP. Myself, I took a break from EQ on 31.12 as I had spent too much time on it and had more important RL things to attend to.

In that small period, I've seen
    • a task corrected that people were using to farm AA points (I'm not max AA as I'm still trying to level my characters so I'm SOL on that task now.
    • exp cap put on missions (I had some FTP characters ready to boost from 105+ using some of these missions, so I'm SOL on that as well.
    • DX11 issues for some players ( for some reason my mouse doesn't register being in the same place it displays on screen, so I have trouble closing windows and moving items around my inventory).
    • Whenever i log into PoK for my overseer I just see a zone of grey for about 10 seconds until the game decides to render.
    I'm at the point where I would now look to re-subscribe for my mains and crack on with levelling my FTP accounts. Instead, I've just been playing the Overseer and staying online not a minute longer.

The anniversary year that I was excited about has just been a conveyor of crap free items and eye-watering cash-grabs from DBG.

I've cracked open Path of Exile and have gone back to painting miniatures when I have the spare time now.

EDIT: To add, I've realised that this is probably the first time the game has been the main reason I've not logged in. Usually, a new game has come out, or something more important has come around. This time, it's the opposite; the game has made me want to do other things - a shame really.
    Risiko and Fenthen like this.
  9. Cicelee Augur

I dunno. If XP was placed on mobs and removed from quests, some/many would have left years ago and they may not have had a 25th year. I know personally, I loathe and get insanely bored sitting in one spot in a zone and mind numbingly pulling the same ten non hunter PH, non quest mob. I have hunters and collects done and still have either 270% or 370% left to max out neck, and I am not looking forward to slogging through that.

There are reasons why XP was moved off of mobs and onto quests. AAXP still seems fine off of mobs. Every partisan is literally running around to hail a NPC and/or run to a spot, and kill a couple mobs during it. When people can complete all partisans for an expansion within 8 hours of launch, and someone is complaing after 90 days- I dunno, doesn't sound like a game issue to me.

I get it. You don't like to do quests. I don't like to grind mobs. Some people think like OP, some people think like me. This is EQ 2024. Adapt and accept, or leave. I know I would leave if I had to hell level grind 126-130 off of just mobs, in addition to all the AA, because they chose to remove quest rewards. It isn't that they are not listening- they are. Some people just don't like the answers.
    minimind likes this.
  10. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Totally agree with lionheart most my subs are expiring and there gonna remain at silver account. Eventually all things come to a end.
    Risiko and Joules_Bianchi like this.
  11. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

remember the last two bags are not accessable.. empty them . I just had to resub one account to deal with that issue.

I'm not 100% out of EQ YET.
  12. CdeezNotes Augur

Why you you speaking in absolutes? There are plenty of examples where quest and kill count were distributed nicely. RoF and CoTF as two right off the bat. SL partisans gave like half a level and 10 AA but I could also grind in BG or CH and get an entire level in about an 90-120 minutes without potions which is about the same pace as most partisan lines in ROF.

I also love the gaslighting. Telling people to adapt anf its a them problem only to d immediately say you'd quit if quest exp was nerfed into the oblivion.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  13. Cicelee Augur

Because there are reason(s) why XP was moved. People just don't like the answer(s) given. It is like a child that used to go to a store with Mom and get a toy, and then Mom said no and gave a reason. Child is still upset even though a reason was given.
  14. CdeezNotes Augur

Why can't both options be viable? Does people exping adversely affect your questing? They just removed an option for no reason. And you provided no reason why both option can't live harmoniously.

The hilarity of your argument is you admit you would quit if they removed your preferred exp option. So basically you're telling people to get over it, but if the roles were reversed you wouldn't get over it. Are you not seeing the irony of your posts? You're literally gaslighting the thread.

PS your analogy is absolutely dog water and makes no sense. For one, no reason was given. Two, it would be the equivalent of a kid growing up liking to eat chicken instead of fish and then the mom decided no more chicken, only fish. When questioned why Mom said deal with it and start liking fish or you get nothing.
    Joules_Bianchi and Rijacki like this.
  15. Cicelee Augur

I am not the one complaining about mob kill XP, the OP is. And I am not telling people to get over it- you are twisting my words around to work for you. I did say adapt and accept, or leave. I am not forcing people to play this game. I can quit whenever I feel like it, OP can quit, you can quit, anyone can quit this game for whatever reason they want. I am saying this is their game, not ours. We are in their world. The OP made it out like everyone wants mob XP back; I am one of few/several/many/majority/overwhelming majority that does not want XP on mobs but enjoys it on quests. OP is not right or wrong, I am not right or wrong. But it doesn't matter because the devs have final say, and they say mob grinding XP will be slower than doing quests. You can still do it, but it will take longer.

As far as reasons go, I am not going to dig through and search for a dev post. Too old and don't care to waste time on that. I know some speculated it was because of players who, on launch day, would go back an expansion or two and mass slay light blues ad nauseum and hit max level that day. I know I have speculated that devs take all this time to create all this work, and then only see players park themselves in one corner of one zone- I think they want their work to be appreciated by everyone, and giving big incentives on the content they spent a lot of time on ensures their work is being used. Some speculated it was because of bot groups using illegal software to mass kill for ultra rare drops, although I don't understand how the two correlate.

What I know is that the mercs and partisans today are very easy. And there is a big reward for doing them. If players want to make it harder on themselves by not doing them, no biggie. Just don't complain when someone is giving you a big reward for a little work, but you don't want to do the work and instead do the even easier thing of grinding.
    minimind likes this.
  16. Marton Augur

New EQ expansion is released.

Player A: pays $35 and briskly moves to old content to level.

Player B: pays $35 and cheerfully follows EQ Resource guides and completes 18 quests, 2 missions, hunters and collections in new content.

Results for daybreak: 2 expansions sold.

So why does it matter what people do in game? They spent money. Daybreak should LEAVE THEM ALONE to play how they want.
    Mesc, Risiko, DeadRagarr and 12 others like this.
  17. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Because it doesn’t fit into the defined views of how the dev team wants the game played. They’ve wanted to nerf that style of gameplay since 2014, when they had that player level 101+ experience nerf on content below level 100.

I agree with you and it seems like more and more game devs set out to design within a specific vision and anything outside that is undesirable. It feels bad as a player.
    Joules_Bianchi likes this.
  18. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

I have seen two Fippy mounts in the game (different people) sofar. Maybe 3.
    I don't know if they will fill the $1499 seats.
  19. Mesc No $$$ Until the Experience is put back on Mobs!!!

So what are these magical reasons you seem to think are why the Devs cut the experience and when did they tell you? I have been waiting over a Decade for this answer so please don't keep us in suspense any longer.
  20. CdeezNotes Augur

None of what you said makes sense.

1. Devs can nerf prior expansion exp without affecting current exp.
    2. Bots? Yes, when in doubt blame bots.
    3. You said partisans are just running around hailing. How is killing easier than that? Mercs are quite literally killing. How is killing easier than...killing?!

Oh and BTW telling people to adapt or leave is telling them to deal with it. Meanwhile you admitted you wouldn't deal with it. Great advice.
    Tyranthraxus likes this.