Someone explain to me why FTE is so hated, I don't get it.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Hinastorm86, Mar 7, 2024.

1. Demetri Augur

So you didn't read the posts I was responding to, they were making the claim of stealing entire camps rather than sniping a named or two.

And frankly not a problem my wife and I ever had. It was rarely attempted and when they did having both of us sitting a box there was enough to regularly win the tag contest with an Alexa timer set to warn us when to start spamming. And being EST we're at a bit of a ping disadvantage.
  2. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

I'd like to note, anyone talking about DPS race or ping race is looking at this in a purely mechanical 'what is the best way to get that mob that belongs to me' way.

If you aren't in an instance no mob ever belongs to you.

FTE changes it from the mob addressing what presents the greatest threat to their being, to now mobs are completely unaware and inexplicably immune to any other threat.

Then they added /yell

There you go, you have your server, go play on it!
  3. Azzlann Elder

Well put, that is the immersion breaker for me.
  4. dentalplan lisa needs braces

The flip side of this is that prior to encounter locking, if some 6 boxer or a crew of people wanted to roll up and take your mob or camp, if they had more dps than you they won 100% of the time. FTE gives you a very solid chance and no real way to stack the odds in your favor, and I've found that this mostly deters people from messing with your camps as their time is just better spent going elsewhere. If you're a well coordinated group with several people paying attention, it is very hard for a boxer to roll up and take anything from you, which is a big change from the previous system.

FTE definitely moves the needle on who gets the mob, and I've found that whether or not you like that mostly comes down to whether or not the setup you roll with was more or less guaranteed to win in the KS system.
  5. Azzlann Elder

Now 1 person can tag your mob and you have zero chance. A group before could at lease fight for it, now you get to sit there and watch your mob get stolen helplessly.
    WeCameWeConquered likes this.
  6. dentalplan lisa needs braces

Tag it first. It isn't your mob until it's tagged.
  7. SnapVine Augur

it feels like when this thread gets too low on the page you scroll back to the last vaguely anti-FTE post and agree with it, regardless of what it says
  8. Azzlann Elder

Like all forum users, I read the responses on the threads that interest me. Then reply either for or against the points being made. How would you like me to use the forums, just not post unless its something you would like to hear. I follow certain threads, and respond to them.
  9. Demetri Augur

"A group" has 6 chances against 1... assuming they're all human at least, very slanted odds.

You're "telling" on yourself
  10. Fluid Augur

I'll repeat my game style one more time with an addition.

I currently run 3 paid accounts. What I do is 1-3 characters to rapidly advance, then use their skills@level to advance the other 10-20 characters. Most of this is simple, buff & damage shield the secondary characters, debuff and snare the MOBs. For example, if the higher level character is an Enchanter, cast Feedback and a haste on the secondary character, tash the MOB. With a Druid or Ranger, snare the MOB. FTE absolutely defeats my game. There are work arounds, like limited my hunting to areas with MOBs that fight to the death rather then flee. Keep my characters within grouping range of the secondary characters i.e. level 20 with a level 30. I find these limits a PIA.

One of my favorite stories I tell about EQ dates back over 20 years. A twinked Bard was in NK and mistakenly attacked a Hill Giant. He was having his azz handed to him and shouted for help. My Druid only had enough mana for a single spell but he charmed a griffon and saved the Bard's bacon. This has been a recurring theme for a couple of decades. When ever I see a lower level character over matched, I'll immediately snare the MOB, buff the PC. FTE makes this nearly impossible for me. I mean I can heal the character but if the MOB is a quick mover, eventually the PC is dead after I run out of mana.

Ditto for derailing trains. It is convenient that those MOBs don't attack you, but it is inconvenient in that the whole dungeon full of MOBs is now off limits until the encounter timer runs out. It also interferes with some of my leveling techniques and Faction strategies. I'll pull the better part of a dungeon with a high level character grouped with a character that needs Faction for access or quests. The low level character just casts a beneficial spell on the high level character and gets the Faction benefits.

All of the purported problems people have with kill stealing I haven't seen except on rare occasions. There has been a rule change, DPS wins. Officially no more claiming camps. I've never had a problem with the rule change, I just go somewhere else or get in a different Pick.

Understand too, I think I have played on every TLP since their inception. Yes, lots of complaints in General Chat about being trained or other bad behaviors, I just can't recall a lot if any people griping about kill stealers. I mean really, we see all kinds of videos about AFT play, illegal targetting, screen shots of bad behavior, why do we not see a lot of screen shots of kill stealing? I'm sure there is one somewhere, but as a relative problem it just isn't there. I've probably been trained 10x for every time I got kill stolen.

IDK, I could care less about people getting FTE servers, more power to them. The thing I object to is making up lies about the nature of game experience to make it seem like it is huge problem. Just say 'I like FTE' and leave it at that. The crap the FTE promoters put out is offensive to me and should be to DP! I have just never had these 'Kill stealing ruined EQ for me!!!' experiences people talk about. It paints the game and DP in a bad light. If they just left it at that, it would be bad enough. They have to go on and insult everyone that enjoys the game w/o FTE as a lowlife. I mean really, it's Woke Everquest. Make up a false accusation and accuse everyone who doesn't have your world view as a Satan incarnate. Very disturbing.
    OldTimeEQ1 likes this.
  11. Faydark rider New Member

Because they cant grief, ks, train and be general toxic trash bags. There is no other legitimate reason.
    SnapVine likes this.
  12. Azzlann Elder

The good ol, if they dont like what I like they are evil argument.
    Fluid likes this.
  13. Demetri Augur

If you don't intend to be toxic, it really doesn't hamper play at all or is at worst a minimal inconvenience of making a /yell hotkey.
  14. Azzlann Elder

There is 4 threads worth of opinions and reasons that people dont like FTE for non toxic reasons. Your either not reading them or intentionally pretending you dont understand them. You dont have to agree with the points and thats cool, but the other guy is bad doesn't equal my argument is good. You dont even know me or most the other people on this side of the FTE debate.
    Fizon likes this.
  15. NuffanTuit Nuffan Tuit on Innoruuk Server

This ^^^

This is why people say you just want to KS others. You seem to think kill Stealing is the way of the world...Kill Stealing is the TOXIC behavior people are FED UP with. We do not have to KNOW you....you tell on yourself all the time....lmao
    Demetri likes this.
  16. Vlorg Augur

Because all it take is 1 person to tag the AoW the milisecond it spawn to prevent the guild who killed statue / idol from even having a chance at competing for the loot. Likewise for vulak, or tunare, or cursed, or khati sha, or any kind of spawned mob.

because 1 person can tag a spider in PoI, pull it on top of the behemoth, and wipe your entire raid without you being unable to do anything about it.

because 1 person can tag a single mob in the Coirnav event and ruin the timer, without you being able to do anything about it. likewise of Vallon zek.

Some other people made a complete list of every encounter that can be hard griefed by FTE... there's a lot of them.

Is that a legitimate enough reason for you?
    WeCameWeConquered likes this.
  17. SnapVine Augur

not really because they already started adding the 'no encounter locking' flag to encounters like that, so they can easily just keep doing that

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/game-update-notes-october-18-2023.293363/

maybe go back to the one about a solo player stealing camps, its more vague so it has more staying power
  18. Vlorg Augur

yay! they only missed all of PoP target... and vulak.. and tunare... and really every raid target we would want to DPS race on.

Here's to another TLP where we point out how not being able to compete on multiple raid target sucks big time... but I'm sure they'll have a mostly curated list of target by the 3rd FTE TLP.
  19. SnapVine Augur

I don't think anyone was doing ow competition in pop on oakwynd so they probably stopped updating it? or its already updated and they just stopped announcing it. I don't really remember to be honest, but the point is they have the functionality implemented so they just might need help updating the list.

so we could help update the list rather than disable FTE for an entire server. unless there's some other reason people want FTE disabled we should talk about ;)
  20. code-zero Augur

I think that FTE demonstrated that there has been a lot more deliberate training going on than most people even suspected. A lot of "accidents" and mystery mobs in camp were in fact the result of malicious intentions
    Eryndhel and fransisco like this.