Eron's Ring Quest #5 Counting Shoadows

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by WT234, Feb 2, 2024.

1. WT234 New Member

Category: Other
    Date/Time: Fri Feb 02 21:25:06 2024

Character: Level 95 Beastlord (Main)
    Zone: The Plane of Knowledge

Description: While working on the long SoF Tradeskill Quest #5: Counting Shadows, I had to start the quest over and received the 2 starting items again. I read the Damaged Book of Shadow Counting, which turned into a not readable item again. I went through the quest and made the Shadow Counting, completed the altar boxes, and received the items from the correct box. However I'm not able to create the arrows because it keeps saying I have something still to learn. Any assistance to what went wrong?
  2. WT234 New Member

Follow-up: I decided to quit the task, delete all of the items, and start the quest a second time. Now I can only get as far as standing on the alter at 12am and doing the first combine of a Gem Covered Box and a Celestial Eessence in a Fletching Kit while standing on the alter, and the item goes poof. Tried the other 2 boxes with same result. Deleted the task again, got it a third time with same results wile standing on the alter. It appears this is Broke and flags are not clearing when attempting this after a failure.
  3. Gialana Augur

I don't know if this will work, but did you scribe Making Shadowspike Arrows before trying to make them? It appears that's required.
  4. WT234 New Member

On the first attempt i beleive i did, but it said I still had something to learn, and I no longer had the book. Now I'm not even getting past the alter on the second and third attempt.
  5. Fenthen aka Rath

Monkeychunks likes this.
  6. WT234 New Member

As the write up says:
    • It does not matter which Gem Covered Box you use to make any one of the Shadow Box... all that matters is that you make them at the right times;
    • If you fail a combine, the box will "crumble" and you will have to get another one to replace it;
    • If any combine fails it means one of two things... most likely your timing was off or your flagging for this task is bugged (it may take a GM / petition to get it corrected);
    I got past this part the first time with no problem but couldn't do the arrow combines near the end. Killing the quest and doing it again now causes every gem covered box to fail. It appears that restarting the quest is not clearing previous flags so it can never be completed.
  7. blood & gufts Augur

Killing the quest BUGS it, and you need a gm to fix it.
  8. Fenthen aka Rath

Did you read the book that Eron gives you in the beginning?
  9. Monkeychunks Augur

It is very particular on the "time" when you do the combine. 12 am - come back at 11am wait till 12 am and a couple more.

Plus there is a specific place to stand and then to face that if your wrong will fail it.

The link posted above by Fentlen for Bonzz site has the exact times and directions to face. When I tried other write ups there was always something wrong in the time or where you stand and face which direction but I finally did it the Bonzz way and it worked.

Read thru it thoroughly cause you only have 20 minutes which can cause it to fail also.

You also have to destroy ALL boxes in your inventory before trying again

And the part about needing to know more is usually cause you need to scribe the book
  10. Venuhm Journeyman

wrong! followed it exactly, failed. its not the player, its the game. This game has managed to always find new ways to disappoint me.
  11. Brickhaus Augur

Um...there are a lot of us with multiple APs (and thus Eron completions) that managed to do it.

Let out a primal scream, regroup and tackle it again.

...or don't and pick something else to do. The quest works though.
    Fenthen likes this.
  12. Nennius Curmudgeon

In fact, if you have the original game manual, it says just about that.

"This game is guaranteed to disappoint, frustrate, exasperate, and attempt to drive you crazy. Now move close to your monitor and stare at the spinning wheel and repeat after me...I will keep playing, I will keep playing, I will keep playing..."

In reality, this game is a science experiment. Pavlov would be proud.
  13. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Did mine by zam had no issues.
  14. Gr8fuldave Augur

I literally just did this on Wednesday night and it worked fine
    Fenthen likes this.