Someone explain to me why FTE is so hated, I don't get it.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Hinastorm86, Mar 7, 2024.

1. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

It is crystal clear to me, people saying to go to another game are doing EQ no favors.

You have an FTE server, enjoy it. Let others enjoy their game.

Oh what's that? Your non-toxic server soiled itself with a dupe and the company didn't even care enough to wipe it up?

I'm sure they'll get right on making another playpen for the 'bad KSer touched me' crowd.

Enjoy it while the cool kids look at you side eye.

We can all coexist, just less whining would be nice.
  2. Zansobar Augur

Basically people that want to indirectly PvP in a PVE game hate FTE.
    Rijacki, MaestroM and SnapVine like this.
  3. CdeezNotes Augur

I have no idea. I don't play on those. They're awful. Don't they line up like wannabe Olympic sprinters and wobble their way to the targets? First to get there wins?
  4. MaestroM Augur

Yes. It’s not mechanically enforced though. When you engage a raid target they blast a zone wide message that you’ve engaged. People not in your raid aren’t allowed to get involved and CS will step in after the fact if you do.
  5. Riler Devour New Member

Thank you for this thread. I've played on many TLPs, but none with FTE. I've also wondered why some people hate it so much, and I've yet to see any actual logical explanation. Everything has been a vague form of "it takes away from the original game", with no actual example given other than this odd obsession with having to dodge trains for fun...or why good players don't train...or some other convoluted form of logic that makes no sense.

The only thing resembling a logical example I've been able to parse out of the barely coherent anti-FTE ramblings is that it takes a few seconds for a spawned mob to be attackable, and sometimes a mob can be agro while you can't attack (but again, no concrete example...just vague "it happens" comments).

So folks who like DPS racing and other ways they could disrupt the play of others hate FTE, and they won't play on a server with it in the name of "the way it was". But before they go, they will show their sense of self importance and let everyone know that they hate it and won't be playing...and throw in an insult about how bad other players are. Good riddance. Now I can safely ignore all the FTE discussions, and hope they make a few tweaks and bug fixes to the system.

Oh, and let's not forget how every FTE discussion somehow devolves into an argument over dupes on Oakwynd since the anti-FTE crowd can't seem to stay on topic when they have no valid points to make.
  6. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

It also seems weird all the hand wringing over people who don't like FTE.

And why are pro-FTE people crying so much for more FTE?

If you're trying to advocate for Oakwynd, get over there and prove the numbers to the devs so you can get more.
  7. Ddezul Augur

Toxic players hate FTE. Can't train. Can't KS.

/thread.
    code-zero and Demetri like this.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And this isn't about the size of the impact on one of the servers or why they took so long to react in this case. The way they handled it when they did is the same as it always is.
  9. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

What "this" IS about is
    "Someone explain why FTE is so hated."

Several people have stated an on point answer.

Then the arguments about people's opinions were low skill, or not to be believed, and accusations of KS and Kronos start.

I'll reply with my maximum snark to stupidity wherever I see it. And then they drag it off topic more.

Go play on Oakwynd and prove your numbers. Stop the tears over people who don't like it, the company is going to do what it does regardless.

And I'll keep laughing at absurdities.
  10. Azzlann Elder

It's crazy. Also I would like to note that I have asked for some simple changes to FTE at a minimum that would not affect them in the slightest. They still hate it.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  11. NuffanTuit Nuffan Tuit on Innoruuk Server

It is ALL about HOW LONG they took this time compared to others relative to the impact of the issue. How many bars of platinum can you double and for how long can you continue to do it.
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And there is nothing that can be done about how long it took except to take steps to make sure the next one is stopped faster.
  13. NuffanTuit Nuffan Tuit on Innoruuk Server

But it does mean it is not like they always handle it. LIKE YOU CLAIM.

You try to play down the issue and I have no idea why...OR why you felt the need to quote my post to say they handled it like they always do, when my post was about it was on top of another issue and it was allowed to go on for so long. and had nothing to do with how they eventually handle the exploit.

Now you want to move the goal post (common tactic I am seeing from you specifically), with And there is nothing we can do about how long it took this time....when no one claimed there was anything they could do.
    OldTimeEQ1 likes this.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

No, I am simply stating that they handled it the same as they always do and I am not referring at all to how fast they reacted to the issue.
  15. Superbilly Journeyman

Thank you for your post.

I recently came back to EQ and was surprised to see FTE was implemented. It goes against everything the game is about and caters to what seems like the crowd who prefer Wow. Part of the charm of this game was avoiding/picking apart/ or surviving trains or even zoning into an area and seeing a pile of corpses. It made choosing your camp more important and resulted in what I believe more social interaction (for better or worse) but it definitely set it aside from any other MMO that exists. I think FTE is a completely unnecessary system for a game in which resolution can generally be found in game (unless it's some outlier of intense griefing with trains which is reportable). Does FTE help solve "some" issues with mob tagging etc? Perhaps but from what I've read it's created others that are just as bad. I feel FTE comes at a cost and that makes the game worse overall.

Hopefully they scrap the FTE system or provide a choice for a NON-FTE server going forward. Just my two cents.
    Yinla, Tyranthraxus and Azzlann like this.
  16. Ddezul Augur

welcome to another new member!
    so many new members the last couple days!! Glorious!!!!
    Azzlann likes this.
  17. NuffanTuit Nuffan Tuit on Innoruuk Server

The thread is about why FTE is disliked....Many want to use the population during PoP to make the claim FTE is unpopular. I pointed out the Legacy XP issue then immediately the exploit and HOW LONG THEY TOOK to respond as the bigger reason to the current population a POST you quoted to make it not about how long it took.
    OldTimeEQ1 and Ddezul like this.
  18. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Welcome Mr 2018!

How's it going for you? Did you learn about guilds yet?
    OldTimeEQ1 and Azzlann like this.
  19. Ddezul Augur

guild? Is that the mass of mages following the druid around with the chanter and bard?
  20. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Ha, touche.

I don't actually know. Just trying to say 2018 is still pretty green horn in my book, to be welcoming newcomers as if you're in a different class than them.

<shrug> at least you had a good retort.
    OldTimeEQ1 and Azzlann like this.