Someone explain to me why FTE is so hated, I don't get it.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Hinastorm86, Mar 7, 2024.

1. DeadRagarr Augur

Because the group the tends to be the ones against FTE working are the ones selling loot for Krono and make the loudest fuss over it. Money matters.

Obviously not everyone, but lets be honest. If people respected camps fully then it would never have been implemented. You can easily find many youtube videos of people complaining of rampant KSing.
  2. AzzlannOG Elder

Thats a false assumption is what I'm saying, I dont really ever mess with anyone or sell Krono, and I hate FTE.
  3. DeadRagarr Augur

If you look I said tend to be the group. Sure your one of the good players, but that doesn't mean the majority are.
  4. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

It doesn't mean the majority aren't either.

See how that is in itself a meaningless statement you made.

A person's opinion is not up for debate or vague meaningless statements.
    OldTimeEQ1 and AzzlannOG like this.
  5. AzzlannOG Elder

I guess I could add that the vast majority of the people I play with are also not like that, probably 95% just like you. We just happen to not like FTE
    OldTimeEQ1 and MasterMagnus like this.
  6. DeadRagarr Augur

if you can't debate an opinion why bother posting an opinion on a forum?

Hell why ever bring up an opinion?
  7. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Full disclosure, I haven't been playing for quite a while.

And the newness of your account will bring some skepticism.

Forum regulars are well known though, amongst each other.

Not that a newb can't have an important and valid voice, we've just learned to be skeptical from all the new account bad actors we've seen.
  8. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

You got me there. That was poorly worded by me. I apologize.

I meant this thread seemed to ask for opinions, not instigate more threads for debate.

Maybe I'm wrong about that too.
  9. AzzlannOG Elder

The two I"ve been posting with are my currently active accounts which are I guess newer because they are just from the last couple TLP's. However I think my points are my points regardless of the age of this particular account. The name has been around for a long time though.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  10. Azzlann Elder

This one is a bit older if that helps, however someone yelled at me for posting on seperate accounts the other day so I have stayed on that one.
  11. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

You need prove nothing to me. Your opinion is valid regardless.

Was just trying to warn, you may get that reaction from some.
    More power to ya!
    Azzlann likes this.
  12. Tyranthraxus Grognard

FTE breaks the 4th wall, it takes one more thing away from the world Brad envisioned and makes it a convenient nice little computer game. Thats why I don't like it, I can't speak for anyone else.

I'll give an example, I played a bit on oakwind at low levels in PoP, mostly to farm while I was bored on Mangler. Silk farming in karana, I was able to crush a bot and keep it from getting almost any silk while i was in the area, and that was fun. What wasn't fun was when a druid who was helping keep me DS'd so i could take on swarms of spiders had to step away a second, and my raid tank brain kicked in when her pet broke charm, only to have to sit there while it slowly downed her, before i could do anything to help. Encounter lock good or bad is an immersion break, it makes no sense from a world perspective, and that ruins something integral for me. It's a gimmick, is it nice that I can keep a high level necro from taking my grachnist spawn, yes. But does it make sense?

I don't like things that break the logic of the game world. I will exploit the rules to my advantage, I will run up to mobs I'm competing for and autoattack while their greyed out hoping to tag first. But it doesn't make sense.
    Superbilly, OldTimeEQ1, Yinla and 2 others like this.
  13. Azzlann Elder

Another great example of the little chips that FTE takes away from the game.
  14. OldTimeEQ1 Augur

Not hated, but not singing praises for it either.

I played on Oakwynd from Day 1 till 2 weeks ago. Unlike, say Waring who doesn't play there at all and just regurgitates what he reads and makes stuff up.

FTE made the bot crews job of camping rare mob camps much easier. Not a biggie after the first few expansions anyway.

The zero enforcement on cheaters is the one which will sunset EQ in the end.
    There is a monk who uses cheat programs to taunt pull mobs across the zone (you can see his taunt messages in chat heh).

He has been doing it since velious and is doing it in pofire when he is online.

Can't name and shame but his name basically is pronounced F-you.

I don't get the point of the OP. If you k ow nothing about FTE maybe read the other 20 threads on it unless you know nothing about the search function either heh.
    Bobbybick and SnapVine like this.
  15. Arclyte Augur

its a very vocal minority, the same few people spamming every thread / discord

FTE has little to no downside for the average normal adult that plays this game, and it prevents some of the more annoying aspects of EQ that frankly just waste your time.
    Rijacki likes this.
  16. 6502 Lorekeeper

If someone wants to KS me they should at least be required to bring enough dps to do it and not just plant a claim bot on top of my camp.
    OldTimeEQ1 likes this.
  17. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I've never bothered with WoS so I'm not sure how the Feren & discordling named are handled on TLPs, back when the expansion was released it took a couple of groups to kill, no one bothered to make a raid, the 2 groups got together and killed it.

I have my own opinions of the game. Various players don't like various aspects of the game, many will not go passed POP because they do not like what comes after, many will not go passed SOD because of mercs. Players stop playing at various points in EQ because of something they do not like.

My stopping point is FTE, for me it changes too much of the game and makes the game not make sense. Why would a mob that hates me and wants to kill me in other circumstances ignore me because another player who is no longer in zone or dead had agro on it?

FTE ruins the imersion of the game IMHO.

I have plenty of other servers I can play on without FTE. So I wouldn't stop playing if all future servers had FTE, I just wouldn't be playing on new TLP servers anymore. With the introduction of Personas there is a part of me that wants every class on 1 char, just waiting to see if they do anything with persona storage. I was planning on playing with personas on the next TLP, but I could easily do that on AB or Vaniki instead.
    OldTimeEQ1 and MasterMagnus like this.
  18. Arclyte Augur

So the DBG store potions, annoying store illusions, name / race changes, Non-deleveling death perks with no corpse runs, super fast EXP, raid bosses dead on day three wasn't immersion breaking for you? FTE is your red line? Are you serious?
    Goojim and Rijacki like this.
  19. Larsen Augur

It allows a single player to KS anyone, and lets anybody force groups out of camps. If you want to take a group's camp, just start tagging as many mobs as you can and soon enough it won't be worth their time to stay. You can do this on your own. It doesn't require bringing a group or mass-boxing yourself. A single player can force a full group to leave.

People like to pretend FTE brought no downsides, but denying reality doesn't make it go away. It introduced an environment where you can't do anything at all about KSing, which in turn allows absolutely anyone to KS instead of limiting it only to cases where the KSer had the ability to outdamage whoever they were KSing. Many people would never have been able to KS without FTE, and then the feature enabled them to do it.

I got KSed more on Oakwynd than on any other server. Outside of a select few spots like efreeti and two or three epic drops, KSing was not something you really experienced with any kind of regularity before FTE. On Oakwynd, it was a regular occurrence to see people try to tag a named mob in front of the group camping it, or muscle people out of camps by competing for every spawn. Before FTE, this barely ever happened except for a tiny handful of camps that RMTers focus on.

FTE may have been nice for the tiny percentage of players who compete for open-world raid targets, but for everyday players who just want to hang out in dungeons and stuff, it was really bad. It introduced KSing as a viable option to far, far more players than before, and this was clearly felt. Previously, it was only really possible for those who box whole groups. Now absolutely anyone can do it, and there are definitely people who made use of that.
    Bartholomo and MasterMagnus like this.
  20. Stylin New Member

I can tell you why I hate it. Playing multiple TLPs, seeing all the grief with keys, epics, and the cleared zones in classic where everything is camped. And instead of fixing any of that they picked to work on FTE. Whomever decided that that was more important than all of the other pain points from classic to luclin is shameful. Like, they spent human developer hours to make this feature work. Why?

Just booo. Really.