The FTE conundrum

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Slik, Mar 6, 2024.

1. Azzlann Elder

Nowhere, this is just the boilerplate response from these guys.
  2. Basak Augur

Everquest show interview with JChan
  3. Shalom Quillmane Bane

You're 100% right - I forget it's a direct threat to their livelihood and no matter what logic is applied they will deny it and slip through it with lies and exaggerations. I'll stop throwing my pearls to swine I suppose.
    MaestroM likes this.
  4. Azzlann Elder

Yes, people that disagree with you are evil, and probably just want to kill you.
    Tyranthraxus likes this.
  5. Shalom Quillmane Bane

Ok, give me a sound logical reason why FTE is bad. I don't want to hear it ruined oakwynd or some boilerplate answer. Literally give me an example of how not having FTE is better than having FTE.

I gave you a scenario, give me one. I will actually answer honestly and not avoid the quesiton.
  6. Ddezul Augur

That and it ends toxic play for the most part.

That's the last thing some guilds want.
    MaestroM likes this.
  7. Kahna Augur

They are going to jump in and say the following.

1. They like being trained, derailing trains is why they play EQ. It's the thrill and the indirect pvp that makes the game worth playing (and they are in no way the people making those trains because they would never!)
    2. They want to help the little newb at the EC tunnel who has a hill giant chasing them. Of course the little newb could just learn how to make a yell macro if they didn't want to die but ya know, survival of the fittest
    3. They love the competition of DPS racing open world raid mobs, despite the fact that on every TLP since Phinny launched there has only been 1 real open world guild and the others just maybe occasionally show up if the mob happens to be up during their regular raid time and they are in the area. So maybe about 200 people care about open world raid mobs on servers that typically boast populations in the thousands.
    They will swear up and down that if you made two servers and one had FTE and one didn't people would flock to the non-FTE server. I feel like far more people like or aren't bothered by FTE than hate it so much they wouldn't play on a server that had it. I am indifferent towards FTE, but I would probably play on the server that had it, if only for a change of pace.
  8. Intercept Augur

Overall FTE is better for more players as it gives them a better chance vs others.

I can take it or leave it, but it makes sense why so many love it and a few really hate it as it just makes it harder for them to take from others.

Also apparently they like being trained, I don't buy it, but they do say it quite often
    MaestroM likes this.
  9. Azzlann Elder

I personally haven't argued that trains are good. They can stay gone. I want to be able to do OOG things with my alts or friends, and I want big open world raid targets to be exempt because I think a dps race on raid targets is more fair than who clicks first.
  10. Zansobar Augur

I would say if they were identical servers but one with FTE and one without being the only difference, and the hardcore toxic guilds made it known they were rolling on the non-FTE server, that a larger population would roll on the FTE server.
  11. AzzlannOG Elder

That solution would be totally good with me, that's what I"ve been asking for is one without, or a toned down version of it.
  12. Muramx Augur

You can... It's called /yell.

Lol.... it's not just OW raid mobs. And do tell me how a guy running programs to control his 30+ characters vs a group of people trying to kill a named is fair? I really want to know the thought process on this.
  13. AzzlannOG Elder

OW raid targets is what I am asking for, not sure what your point is or how programs are relevent. Can some botter not just tag the mob first and then hog it for his self? It actually kind of makes my point because if someone using programs can just tag the mob first then a guild who was trying to get it cant do anything. But without FTE an actual guild of real people would destroy him.
  14. Muramx Augur

Lol, I love it when people use multiple accounts to make it seem like there are more people for or against something then there are.

Like someone already said there is zero competition for OW content. There hasn't been since AoCs came out.
    I can't even remember the last time I saw, heard or was part of 2 guilds trying to race to OW content. Raids show up at raid time they check OW if it's up cool if not the DZ. Your justification for "Boo hiss FTE!" Is because it effects something that doesn't happen in the game because it's not 1999, and ignore all the reason they made FTE to begin with...

Sounds reasonable.
  15. AzzlannOG Elder

They are both named azzlann, i just have several accounts. Im just posting as me on different accounts. That may be your raid experience but I assure you that OW racing for raid targets still happens, and its fun :)
  16. Muramx Augur

No it doesn't the last time I ever heard of OW racing was when Ragefire was in classic. You want to blow smoke at people by all means go for it. But everyone on the forums plays the same game. Multiple people have said the samething it doesn't happen. Pretty sure I saw someone above already say that was one of the talking points that gets used even those it false.
  17. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

No where in that interview does it say it will be on all TLP servers going forward. They briefly mention it has stopped trains, nothing more.

It wouldn't surprise me if they had more CS tickets in regard to those breaking FTE by healing players than they ever had from trains.

We will find out soon enough what their plans are for FTE as I asked it in their AMA thread.
  18. Elabone Augur

What server did you see OW competition on? Because the dude is right. Ragefire/lockjaw were the last servers I knew of that had actual OW competition.

And im just curious, did you play on oakwynd at all? Because I had the same mentality as you did. Then I played on the server. It really does eliminate a ton of negative interactions. And honestly you barely notice it during a standard play session.

Sure there are situations where someone can use it to grief you, but in all reality it just equalizes that ability. You don't need to wait to be outdps'd by that level 50, you can potentially just win the tag.

Yea it's different, yes it's a change. But so was instancing, and people fought against that for years. It's just a better game with those systems implemented.

It's ok to not like it, and noone will really know until it happens. But I really really would be shocked if FTE didn't become standard on every server just like truebox and aocs.
  19. KronoQuester New Member

If you think FTE gives you a chance think again. Against good players it gives you no chance if they want something. YouTube is full of videos from Oakwynd showcasing this. Look up Vindaven.
  20. MaestroM Augur

The fact that it can happen does not undo the fact that occurrence of it have been virtually eliminated. The cases where it does happen stand out precisely because they are out of the ordinary.

FTE took a negative aspect of the game that was part of most players experience on a regular basis (intentional trains etc were a several times a week occurrence on previous TLPs in my experience) and virtually eliminated them. I almost forgot how toxic previous TLPs were (even mischief had some issues) after a few months on Oakwynd because I never once got trained and never once got KSed. I was able to just play the game without worry about some toxic jackwagon showing up and turning my evening of grouping into an evening of CR and trying to find a new camp.

Yeah of course it’s still possible to be a jerk in game. FTE does a reasonably good job at minimizing the impact of antisocial players on the folks who just wanna group and grind with their friends.

The solution to the imperfectness of FTE is not to get rid of it lol. For me, FTE does a good enough job of removing toxic players from my experience and I wouldn’t think any additional intervention is necessary. That said if they want to introduce something that completely eliminates toxicity from the game I wouldn’t object