Is there a way to open trade window with your target rather than having to click on them?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Bernel, Mar 6, 2024.

1. Bernel Augur

The standard way to open a trade window is to have an item on your cursor and click on the person you want to trade with. This will open a trade window with the item in a trade slot. But having to click to start a trade means that it's easy for the click to end up on someone else, a pet, a merc, etc. and the trade window opens with them instead of the actual person you want to trade with. Is it possible to have the trade window open with the person/pet/merc/npc you have targeted rather than having to click on them?

The only thing I could think of is to use the 'U' key for use ability, but that doesn't seem to be affected by your target. It just uses whatever is in your vision. It will open a trade window, but it's with whoever is in your vision rather than your target.

As an alternative, is there a way to make the click more reliable? In a crowded area, I may have to try clicking several times to have the trade window open with who I want to trade with. I am clicking on what I see as the person, but the game registers the click with a pet, merc, or another player that may be in between us at a different height (e.g. a shrunk pet at the person's feet).
  2. niente Developer

/usetarget does the same thing as the U key and was meant for this purpose (and bugged/invisible bazaar traders).
  3. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

As niente says, target the player, put the item on your cursor, and type /usetarget. This will open a trade window with the target you have.

If you have trouble targeting someone, type /tar usersname. Then proceed as directed. Consult your doctor if pregnant or nursing before taking any medication o_O.
    Quatr, Nennius, Bernel and 2 others like this.
  4. Bernel Augur

Whoo! My new favorite command!
    Nennius, Silvena and Fanra like this.
  5. Silvena *poke*

It's a great command! Used a lot when someone afks on top of a quest NPC or trying to pass over poisons in a hug pile.
  6. coltongrundy Augur

This does not work when you need to turn in an item to an NPC that is a merchant. A few examples:
    • Harnoff Splitrock (North Kaladim)
    • Yeril Imsin (Plane of Knowledge)
    • Yakem Oreslinger (South Qeynos)
    • Gliblixl Rocktok (Bazaar)
    These NPCs are blacksmithing supply merchants, and they have quests to restock their supply of Block of High Quality Ore, Block of Refined High Quality Ore, Large Brick of High Quality Ore, Large Brick of Refined High Quality Ore, Small Brick of High Quality Ore, and Small Brick of Refined High Quality Ore, by forcing the NPC to despawn and respawn with a fresh inventory after handing in a Large Shipment of High Quality Ore or a Small Shipment of High Quality Ore.
    • Xeib Darkskies (Lavastorm)
    • Tatsujiro the Serene (Lavastorm)
    These are the NPCs that you turn in Dark Reign and Norrath's Keepers tokens in enchange for faction and DON currency.
    All of these NPCs have quests to turn items in, but they are also merchants. Sometimes there can be large crowds around them making it very difficult to turn items in, and /usetarget will always open their merchant window instead of trading the item on the cursor to them. It would be nice if /usetarget had some logic to prefer trading an item to them if there's an item on the cursor and open their merchant window if there is no item on the cursor, or to add a new command so each command could have a consistent effect.
    Scornn and niente like this.
  7. Velisaris_MS Augur

They need something like a /opentrade command to automtically open the trade window with the target.
  8. Gialana Augur

You can shorten the command to as little as /uset

This will also work to open the banker interface in case others are standing around and making it difficult to otherwise click on the banker.
  9. error Augur

As a pet class that constantly uses /usetarget to gear my pets, it'd be great if it was directly added to the options menu as a keybind option without having to do it indirectly via hotbar keybinds. Obviously a minor QoL issue, but anything that cleans up my hotbars the better.
    Fanra likes this.
  10. Kaelwyse Journeyman

Something that took me a while to realize is that /usetarget will not only open a trade window (if you have an item on your cursor), it will also add an item to an existing trade window.

For me, this has made equipping pets much much faster. I have the bag full of everything the pet wants, and quickly click an item followed by the press of my /usetarget hotkey. Repeat for all items.
    Fanra likes this.
  11. Nennius Curmudgeon

Could this thread be stickied? This command is incredibly useful.
  12. Velisaris_MS Augur

Actually, they need a sticky thread about all the commands that aren't widely known. I just recently learned about the count command.

I did a google search recently for EQ commands, and one document I found listed tons of commands I never even knew existed.
    Yinla likes this.
  13. Conq Augur

Gah, still at work, so I can't test! But WTF is the count command, what does it do?
    Conq
  14. Gialana Augur

15. Velisaris_MS Augur

/w cuts off the list of players at a certain point.
    /w count just tells you how many people are in zone.

Which sort of begs the question, why isn't /count a command on it's own? That's the only important information most people care about when they zone in somewhere.