The FTE conundrum

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Slik, Mar 6, 2024.

1. Slik New Member

So I see all these arguments for and against FTE. Its a personal choice that I dont like it very much, but what I am wondering is why they wont, just one more time, release 2 servers. One with and one without FTE and see which one garners more support. That would solve the entire debate right?
    Azzlann and Yinla like this.
  2. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Not sure where the 1 server is coming from, in the interview with JChan they said servers, which implies more than 1.

I'm really hoping there is a server without FTE.
    WeCameWeConquered and Azzlann like this.
  3. Shalom Quillmane Bane

Let's put it this way. If there are two servers they'll enable it on the one that has a larger population. More people, more problems more CS tickets
  4. SnapVine Augur

I'm really happy that FTE is here to stay.

Maybe we can combine the "non FTE server" threads with the "no krono server" threads into a new forum of things that will never happen.
    Arclyte likes this.
  5. AzzlannOG Elder

Yes the thing that has been on only one server, one that didn't do that well. Is here to stay forevermore. I'm not sure where you guys get this from. Nothing is set in stone, they will do what is best overall for the business. They can easily remove the bad parts of FTE without anyone pro FTE batting an eye.
  6. Slik New Member

and maybe we can get people who dont hate on a difference of opinion and seek validation for some reason. There is a huge difference between a server with no kronos and FTE rofl. But you already knew that, its an obvious troll.
  7. Azzlann Elder

That is not how that would work, the one that had FTE in the ruleset would be the less populated one. Which is fine, everyone would get what they want.
  8. SnapVine Augur

OK, but this thread and you yourself have called for blanket "no FTE" servers multiple times and I highly doubt that will happen, but I guess we'll see right? not like its up to me :)
  9. Azzlann Elder

I've said that one of the servers should not have FTE, or that they should tone it down. Unlike the other side Im totally willing to compromise and find a middle ground. If people love FTE they should have a place to play with it.
  10. Cuzon Elder

As someone who played on Oakwynd from launch until PoP, I can say that I really enjoyed FTE and I hope it gets rolled out other servers. It's benefits far outweigh the handful of people who abuse it (like every other system).
    Muramx likes this.
  11. Slik New Member

I agree. FTE doesnt make or break a server for me but I play EQ still because its like putting on a good pair of worn jeans. Its comfortable. FTE changed the game a bit to much, but hey, I know i'll be back regardless. I am hoping they meet somewhere in the middle or do two servers. I just hate the naysayers either way, its 100% an opinion on what people like. Any game system will have its flaws and exploits.
  12. MaestroM Augur

I was in two different guilds on Oakwynd and played there for months and the overwhelming majority of people that I talked to absolutely loved FTE.

Oh no you can’t train people as easily anymore! Oakwynd was the least toxic TLP I’ve ever played on in large part due to FTE. Things like FTE and AOCs are major QOL improvements to the game that if the EQ devs had any foresight on the matter would have been included in the starting game (tech permitting).

Yeah you can still engage in antisocial behavior. The fact remains I have seen way more posts in the forums saying that there are still ways to grief other players than I ever actually saw in game. Somehow managed to get several characters 1-60 between classic and Luclin only got griefed one single time.

Seems like the people most grouchy about FTE are the people who want to go out and engage in antisocial behavior and have a harder time doing it now.

A server that merged mischief and Oakwynd rulesets would be an incredible time. I’m super excited.
  13. fransisco Augur

Its not worth the investment to do 2 tlp servers at a time. It costs a bunch of time and money to make one, and there is never too many people on a new tlp that you need a second. Plus, everyone will quit in 12 months because everyone is allergic to anything that isn't the boring classic treadmill.
    They don't even try alternate things, just the exact same progression path.
  14. Numiko Augur

The way JChan raved about FTE on the last Everquest show interview I would be very surprised if they ever release another progression server without it.
  15. Azzlann Elder

They have done it several times. This is fixing to be a popular year so I would guess there will be two.
  16. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Mischief does not agree with you.
  17. WeCameWeConquered Elder

FTE should never happen again. In fact, remove it from Oakwynd while we're at it.
    Scornn, Azzlann, Yinla and 1 other person like this.
  18. Mashef Augur

Not a conundrum. Jchan explicitly said they are bringing back the most popular rulesets. FTE doesn't fall under that. No clue where the guy is getting off saying that its here to stay unless I missed something else. Sounds to me like the dev said they can toggle it on and off depending on the server ruleset - which means its not going permanent. Otherwise it would just get hardcoded into the game and live servers. It's possible one has FTE and one doesn't. But pro FTE people are probably still enjoying Oakwynd and its casual friendly alt system and legacy perks per expansion...so it doesn't make a lot of sense to carry it over to a new server and make it DOA to a large portion of the players.

She only hesitantly conceded that it stopped trains and that it "generally" worked but the body language and tone of voice was like please next topic like not wanting to discuss how unpopular Oakwynd was.

FTE had some pros and some significant cons. Are they going to put the effort into fine tuning it? Unlikely because Oakwynd wasn't popular and she specifically identified the project management triangle which would restrict how many hours and dollars can be sunk into something of at best middling popularity.
    Scornn, Azzlann and Yinla like this.
  19. Azzlann Elder

100% this is spot on.
  20. Azzlann Elder

Let them keep it if they like it. They can even add it to certain TLP's in the future if people like it. But allow us to have non FTE servers.