Gamma correction?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Souliwarr, Mar 5, 2024.

1. Souliwarr Apprentice

Has anyone figured out how to adjust the gamma back to how it was before? The game is almost unplayable for me in windowed mode right now with how dark it is.
    CatsPaws and Rexa like this.
  2. Rexa Ask someone else for buffs

Everything did in fact go darker, and I exclusively play in windowed mode. I think people on monitors with less nits/brightness probably suffer more due to this change. I personally had to re-enable things like pixel shaders and advanced lighting in order to compensate for it now. However, I don't like the way these options look on screen, unfortunately. The actual character models (and even name plates) also continue to stay dark, it seems.
  3. Svann2 The Magnificent

There is gamma correction in windows 11. Search for calibrate display color. Cant say if it will take you back to what you had but its worth a try.
  4. Rexa Ask someone else for buffs

The problem is that Windows Calibration affects everything you're doing on your monitor, and not just EverQuest. Of course, if all you practically do on your computer is EQ, then it doesn't matter, I suppose.

The only thing I can think of is to "fake" a full screen in Windowed Mode, but I haven't personally attempted any of those workarounds to vouch if they work. I've also looked at the Nvidia Control Panel to see if it there were any specific settings to apply just for the eqgame.exe program, and nothing there worked either. Maybe those running the Adrenaline Sofftware (using AMD GPUs) might have different game-specific options though.
    Nennius likes this.
  5. Flatchy Court Jester

or they could just go and put the gamma slider back in.
    Metanis, Scila, Captain Video and 2 others like this.
  6. JetZeppelin2h Augur

There is no way to fix it. The only option is to alter the entire computer's gamma which depending on your graphics card can be done different ways. I use NVIDIA Control Panel and then adjust the brightness on that which is the same thing as what gamma used to do. The problem is it makes everything on the computer brighter so you have to learn to deal with it if you are like me running multiple instances of everquest 24/7.
  7. Rexa Ask someone else for buffs

Another thing I just thought about. If you have a gaming monitor, just have a handy profile to swap over to with higher gamma settings. My Gigabyte 27U has like 4 different profiles that I scroll/swap through, plus additional custom ones I can add. Can't believe I just thought of that now /facepalm ... but I just got my monitor at the beginning of this month, and I'm still getting used to the settings on it.
  8. Nennius Curmudgeon

Is that possible with DX 11? I don't know, but I wish I did.
  9. Cuuthbert Augur

10. Svann2 The Magnificent

Its not getting reverted.
    But if you want to experiment there are programs out there for adjusting gamma for individual games.
  11. Muramx Augur

Everything got darker and plate armor I am wearing is 100% brighter. I put on black armor r and it's so glossy and reflective but only on my character. It's looks normal on other people with the same stuff.
  12. Flatchy Court Jester

I did not really expect it would. I am a mechanic by trade in a factory that builds the worlds greatest tractors. I get to deal daily with over engineered garbage that someone thought was a great idea but never really had to deal with the repercussions of their decisions. Yes please cram everything you can into a really small space when designing it, you will get a big gold star from corporate. Never mind the poor schmo who has to try to figure out how to work on that fine design.

The average joe EQ user may be an older person that is not really computer savvy and the 20 or so steps they have to maneuver to fix this "fix" may seem to daunting to them. Let alone everytime they are done playing they get to change it back so they can use their computer. Everything seems way easy if you already know how to do it. Yeah I know I am just whining.
    Goranothos and Yinla like this.
  13. Goranothos Augur

I ran the "calibrate display color" app in Windows 11 and it helped me. The gamma part of the app shows three grey blobs with dots in the middle on the screen and you adjust a slider until the dots disappear.
  14. Scila Augur

Their option to change everybody's individual comps is a bandaid nothing more. Other modern games work without it. Going back and forth to accommodate one that needs a bandaid for a not minor boo boo on an elbow eventually starts to be not need a bigger bandaid.
  15. strongbus Augur

The reason it was removed was cause dx11 don't support it. They said the gamma control was just a work round in dx9 that overrode your systems gamma settings.

what they need to do is make so the game auto adjust to your system gamma settings.
    Nennius likes this.
  16. Scila Augur

They removed it and put in a "slider" for enhanced vision. That needs adjustment to go further. Currently, it does nothing close hence we have to bandaid. Put in a larger adjustment range for the slider and we could go back to not messing with our individual settings.
    Nennius likes this.