Can we double the price of subs and Krono?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by fransisco, Feb 28, 2024.

1. kookoo Augur

i box 6 all access accounts, all got LS expansion , no way i could keep that having the price going 2x more.
    Andarriel and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  2. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

You may be mostly price insensitive. The rest of us seem to disagree. And be careful what sources you quote if you do quote them. There is a big difference between making a purchase of a game for 80 bucks instead of 60 then the cost of an ongoing subscription. There is also a big difference between raising fees to play a single game (sure a few may play the other games) but without data my believe is most play one of the games in the all access) and a cost increase for a service that gives you access to a ton of games of all types.

Any search on subscriptions and games all bring up services like GamePass. No articles about sub fees for a single game.

But hey if you have links to data share with the rest of us. I like to learn even if it proves me wrong.
  3. Mesc No $$$ Until the Experience is put back on Mobs!!!

I play when i want to, I have not paid for this game in over 2 and 1/2 years. Your logic is faulty.
    mercury890 likes this.
  4. DeadRagarr Augur

Insert you spend more at a bar in one night than double the cost of a single sub argument here.
    KushallaFV likes this.
  5. Alnitak Augur

It depends.
    Say, you have annual subscriptions and buy basic expansions.
    That would be $918 annually (give or take, taxes extra)
    Let's imagine DPG increases annual subscription rate to $25 per month from the current $10 per month.
    You say, doh, too expensive, and scale back to subscribing only 3 accounts, and keep other 3 ftp only buying new level-increase expansions (1 every 2 years) at a discount and buy in-game 1 Krono with pp to AA's along with expansions.
    That equates to 3 x ($25*12 + $33) = $1005 plust 3 x ($15(Krono) + $33) / 2 (every other year) = $57
    Overall: $1062 revenue versus $918 currently.
    It's $144 extra for DPG from your gameplay. If (and that is a big IF) you keep 3 accounts still All-Access.
    And that is a decision criteria they have: how far can they increase the subscription price to keep overall increase in revenue. Make it too high - and you just stop playing. Make it too low - and they leave money on the table.
    However (again, big HOWEVER) there is another factor to consider - your willingness to spend extra money in Marketplace, such as Heroic characters, potions etc. If you feel buying subscriptions at a discount (totally a perception thing) you may be willing to spend cash occasionally to endulge yourself. If you feel overpaying - you will be more frugal in Marketplace, or even start gaming the subscription game (subscribe/unsibscribe periodically).
    Those numbers and effects are actually very hard to calculate but that doesn't mean those are not at play here.

Anyway, marketing people have a task on hand to tackle.
  6. Nennius Curmudgeon

Am I the only person here who is amused at the thought that Daybreak WOULD actually double the cost of EQ? It was a bit of speculation that has virtually no chance of seeing the light of day.

Next topic: Could the Matrix, or something like actually be real?
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  7. Alnitak Augur

Oops, I thought it is a "focus group" discussing dots on a screen.

It is real. Colorful pills work in amazing ways.
    Nennius likes this.
  8. Bobokin Augur

Economics 101: nothing is free; everything has opportunity costs.
    Nennius likes this.
  9. Bobokin Augur

All of the triple dip monetization of Everquest has already done that to many players and guilds.

When the whales beach themselves and die off, the game will die and close.
    mercury890 and Rijacki like this.
  10. Bobokin Augur

Yes, many of the players I group with are either lifetime accounts or FTP. Not many of them pay that overpriced monthly fee for Everquest.

Many casual players don't bother with the expansion packs anymore because they have almost no value without prestige armor, weapons, and especially augs.

Darkpaw has turned Everquest into Everbox, and there are too many MMORPGs out there to waste money on a 25 year old game that is just a lather, rinse, repeat experience.
    Rijacki likes this.
  11. Mesc No $$$ Until the Experience is put back on Mobs!!!

According to some top thinkers, there is a 50-50 chance the Universe is a hologram...
    Andarriel likes this.
  12. Nennius Curmudgeon

Hmm That gives me a one in two chance to be more than just refracted light. Woot!
    Mesc likes this.
  13. Nennius Curmudgeon

And I have the opportunity to save them up. 20k+ on one account now. 10k+ on the other. I am cheap. Err thrifty. :)
  14. AzzlannOG Elder

Perhaps not double, but I think they should look at increasing slightly. I would pay double if they never implemented FTE again.
  15. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Not sure about the hologram theory though its possible. I am on the determinism band wagon and still don't think things are random on the quantum level I am more in favor of missing information to explain that. But all that means is things were decided with the initial state of the universe and we are all just living out a story that is inevitable. As long as you can deal with redefining free will it works.

Not a lot of scientists are on the determinism wagon except on the macroscopic level though.
    Mesc likes this.
  16. error Augur

Charging more for less sounds like a terrible business model. If you want to pay double then buy another sub, same net result but you get a box and EQ gets the illusion of a higher user count.
    Barton-Vox and Svann2 like this.
  17. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

If they raise the prices on krono's that would be a big mistake and a bunch of people would leave. Im on fv and mostly on by krono's so i gotta make 6m on my traders to break even each month now if i had to make 12m i would have to bring some traders down although i might do that anyways. The 1 year sub price is pretty nice overall. Hopefully they dont raise anything be kinda foolish.
  18. code-zero Augur

The gaming has gone to microtransactions as the payment model so the chances of going to a single price luxury all included model is between slim and none
    KushallaFV likes this.
  19. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

It’s the entire gaming. Gamers complain about prices, then the companies post record profits and sales numbers. Gamers aren’t great at complaining but very bad at backing up their words.
  20. Muramx Augur

This idea would spell the death of EQ.
    However as others have suggested in the past. I would pay extra if they opened up a TLP with Free Trade, relaxed truebox at the start that had a GM presence. If they would boot the botters and cheaters. Then when they come back from their 7 day suspension the account is locked out of the server.....
    Yeah I would pay extra..