Can we double the price of subs and Krono?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by fransisco, Feb 28, 2024.

1. JetZeppelin2h Augur

I thought they already backtracked and said they will not do it now (given it probably has hurt them overall for a while like some other company advertisements)?
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

There is no way for Wendy's to undo this. Even though they also stated they "never said that" to the interviewer. People are fed up with shrinkflation and this is just stupid.

However there is time for EQ to undo or fix the UI and/or DX, Gamma. But time is passing.
    Rijacki likes this.
  3. Iven the Lunatic

Because of all those serious bugs and the shrinkflation, it would be more realistic to temporary half the prices instead of doubling them, until everything got fixed. That would not better the game but it would be more fair and keeping more players hooked. EQ is on a very weird anniversary trip, and they came up with those UI, UI engine, and gamma changes in the worst possible moment, just as francisco with his idea of double prices.

Basically the idea behind the changes was to get everything done until the anniversary but it turned out being more complicated than it seemed and someone made a risky and therefore bad decision about the timing and the time window. It was unrealistic right from the start to get it done until the anniversary.
  4. kizant Augur

An extra dollar or two might not be bad idea. That plus they can just ask me to make decisions for them. That's the best way to a better game tbh.
  5. Scila Augur

So lets just double the price of everything ... oh yeah ... your salary stays the same ... survive. It then boils down to household economics, what gets tossed out to survive? Food, roof over the head, necessities come first ... guess what's on the chopping block .... ding ding ding we have a winner. The house of cards starts to tumble. If you're one of the lucky ones that has a "necessary" job, you keep your job. If you're one of the unlucky ones, you're caught in the house of cards that tumbles ... econ101.

A business has to measure what will keep them in business or what tips the scales to nope there's other stuff out there for my entertainment dollars. Doubling a sub price isn't going to do it when there are alot more options available ... econ101.
    Rijacki likes this.
  6. Bobokin Augur

Everquest is already monetized in a gazillion ways. The game would do much better if Darkpaw made it cheaper to play rather than more expensive.
    Rijacki likes this.
  7. Bernel Augur

I've wondered if they would make more money if they had ways have lower-tiered subscriptions to convert some of the F2P accounts to memberships. I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't care that an AA membership gets you access to all the games in the DP stable. There's no value in a high subscription price that gives access to 5, 10, 100 games if someone only plays one of them. For those people, have an EQ-only subscription that's $12/mo. Also, have a subscription which gives you Silver-level features for like $5/mo. It's not that $15/mo is too high, but I have a few accounts and don't really need the AA features on all of them. If there was a way I could get more features on my F2P accounts at a cheap price, I'd consider it.
    Rijacki and Svann2 like this.
  8. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

"Silver like features for $5" would be exactly like the old Silver accounts which were $5. They were discontinued for a reason. Now,they just want us to buy the F2P upgrades in the DBG marketplace.

I do like your idea to split out the games. I think they use that "access to all games" to fudge the true numbers of subscribers. Its like "look we have 40 subscribers" but in reality its 10 subscribers over 4 games.
  9. Vumad Cape Wearer

I didn't read most of the replies.

Google supply and demand analysis.

I pay for 4 accounts and I 4-box. I mostly play in the morning hours to get my group content done. I do not have the time in my schedule to do group during the high population hours. I absolutely do not have time to waste LFG trying to get what is pretty basic gameplay done. For me, the choice to pay for 4 subscriptions and 4-box is a cost benefit analysis to my time vs my income.

For anyone having negative attitudes vs boxers, I play EverQuest for the social aspects with my guild. I am highly social during raids and in raid related content, but my allotted evening playtime during peak hours is dedicated to raid hours. Finding people to group with at 8am EST (5am) is few and far between, and I have quit EverQuest in the past because of the time wasted LFG. Boxing group content is a necessary component for me to be able to be part of the raiding "team". My guild to me is the same as how some people see being part of a league and the associated camaraderie. Group content is the practice I have to schedule or I have to sit the bench at game time.

Increasing EQs sub rate may cost a large amount of subscriptions, probably 2 in my case, and in some cases even more than that. You simply can not assume a price increase will result in an increase in revenue. A supply vs demand analysis would likely see a significant decrease in subscriptions.

It is also very important to note that you risk not losing just the people who are not willing to pay the increased sub. I absolutely loved another SOE game, Cosmic Rift / Infantry. They were completely FTP, but when they went paid, they were not conscientiousness of their player base. I was too young to have a CC so I had to pay my aunt my sub to handle it for me. Going to a $5 a month sub decimated to player base and I believe it was due to similar situations as to mine. SOE should have made Infantry a feeder game to games like EverQuest, but by not paying attention to their player bases ability to pay for the game, they completely obliterated the game entirely. I quit playing before the servers shut down for no reason other than there wasn't enough players to fill up the MMO and I assure you that I absolutely did not want to quit playing infantry.

PS. FreeInfantry is now privately hosted. It is still a wasteland most of the time but they did add some AI components. I would absolutely play it if it has a sufficient population.
    CatsPaws likes this.
  10. Barton-Vox Fizzlethorpe Rules !!

Oh look, another thread that proves we need a dislike or downvote option here on the forums
  11. Barton-Vox Fizzlethorpe Rules !!

Bernel referenced $5 a month for silver like features not a one time $5 purchase. So it would not be exactly like the old silver accounts which were a one time purchase
    I do think they should bring back silver account status/membership but $5 was (shocker incoming ) to cheap
    They should bundle Silver Account Status/Membership
    with a bag and a mount for like 34.99-49.99
  12. Eaedyilye More stonehive bixies.

My 5 gold accounts disagee.
    Nennius likes this.
  13. Iven the Lunatic

Maybe $5 was to cheap in the past, but grandfathered silver is not even worth that. A cap of 1,000 AAs is a joke today, and general chat access is only important for Daybreak but not so much for the players. Over the years I made many suggestions about new account types, and it usually ended up that most players disagreed with my ideas.

Today it seems to be more clear that a single subscription offer is not enough, and that the whole thing should be revamped. FTP is more or less a demo mode and only good enough for very old content, while AllAccess is often to expensive and obligatorily, because of the requirement to box. Why should someone run a sub when he/she does only play 8 days a month ? The "buy everything or nothing" pricing policy does lock out more and more players in an increasing worldwide economic crisis.

There are always those players that pop-up with statements that they subscribed for 4-10 accounts, but those are uncommon. The average player does spend about $31 per month which is just about 1-2 AA subscriptions and some other stuff, including a new expansion every 1-3 years.
  14. uberkingkong Augur

You know what, I agree with double the price after thinking.

McDonalds Big Mac its double price. A lot of things today is double the price.

EQ Dev's gotta eat
    Lets make sure they eat good, lets double krono prices.

Palworld tiny team, some of the developers just started, they don't have any IT knowledge.
    Palworld $30.
    Palworld they gotta pay up for server prices, https://www.techradar.com/pro/palwo...pt-the-studio-ceo-quips-and-it-will-go-higher
    500K per month

No subs, no in game store, just keep buying $30 the early access.
    Yet they do a lotta work, https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1623730/view/4178847793405854409

A lotta bug fixes, tedious, gotta figure it out kind of coding.

EQ, sub prices, expansion prices, in game store prices, perks prices.
    AP? gotta pay. Want a wardrobe, heroes forge? gotta pay.
    EQ the problem is not are they spending wisely.
    Definitely not making enough $$$ thats the issue, so lets double kronos, good idea.
    We need an escalate button. So we can escalate this to the decision makers.
  15. Iven the Lunatic

Why do you think that the devs would receive double salary if the prices would be doubled.
    Has buying Big Macs increased the salary of McDonalds workers ?

A big bowl of green salad with tomatoes each day would do more for the devs than anything else, and they should be totally able doing that.
  16. Nennius Curmudgeon

Is it time for a vote?
  17. EagleTalon99 Elder

I have to wonder how many players will actually buy the 46 slot bag this month. It's basically $45 worth of DB coins.
  18. Nennius Curmudgeon

Just did. Free DB coins FTW.
  19. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

There not really free coins. You have to subscribe to get them every month so its really not free.
    Rijacki and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  20. Waut New Member

I have to say the roughly forty dollars for a pixalated bag being sold in the Marketplace ought to pay for the devs just fine!