Confused about SK epic quest, can anyone answer?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tatanka, Feb 29, 2024.

1. Tatanka Joe Schmo

OK, I just started working on my SK's epic 1.0 (first epic I've worked on since I did my druid's 1.0 in 2002 :) )

Anyway, after spending HOURS trying to get the darkforge mats to drop in Feerrott (very beginning of the quest), I saw in the ZAM writeup (https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=766) that this part was skippable, by just getting the cough syrup and turning it in to get some extra Truespirit faction.

So, I went and got the cough syrup, and when I turned it in, he just gave it back, and I didn't get a faction hit, but he DID follow along with the next dialog prompts and asked me to go get the Dusky Tome in the Hole. Read further that this part was also skippable, since it just gives a faction hit, so I tried the next dialog with him, and he has tasked me with the Ghoulbane/etc part of the quest.

So, my question is, am I good to go with just continuing from there, or are these parts of the quest actually required, and the ZAM comments are wrong?

Any help is appreciated :)
  2. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

90% certain you're good to continue. I would try the next step. If it goes as expected, good. If not, go back to step 1.
    Yinla likes this.
  3. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Thanks! I shall do as Vezzini taught us ;)
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  4. Bilderov Augur

I would just do the 1.5 pre-quest and carry on from there..
    Tatanka likes this.
  5. Lineater Augur

I've done the quest twice fairly recently on Aradune and Mischief. I've never heard of the cough syrup skip. The idea is you just need to get truespirit faction to indifferet to do all the turn ins. You will hit some snags if your TS faction is below indifferent. There have been some changes to the quest in recent years, so I don't know if you can still cheese turn ins with invis and/or FD.
    Tatanka likes this.
  6. Flatchy Court Jester

I have done my 1.0 and am glad that I did it just so I could get my ornamentation from it. Ever since the epic retelling quests came out my one hander has had my 1.0 ornamentation. My 2 hander has the 2.0 ornamentation . I think I did it twice so I could get them both its been many beers ago.
    Tatanka likes this.
  7. Bilderov Augur

See, there goes my noobness. I didn't even know the ornamentations were a thing.

I just remember sitting in Feerott for 2 days killing lizards for those drops and still not getting them all. In the end, I did the 1.5 pre-quest and carried on to get epic 2.0 a couple of hours later.
    Tatanka likes this.
  8. JetZeppelin2h Augur

You need to also remember that 1.0 (although a few have been changed over the years a little) don't have a quest flags like 1.5 / 2.0 so there is nothing saved that tells the quest that you have completed a step. 1.5 / 2.0 on the other hand have hails that may give a flag that is required to do the next hail. So anytiime a step doesn't return an item to you, you will probably be fine with skipping it. Most 1.0 stuff is even MQable if you have another character with one of the items that they can turn in then you turn in the rest afterwards (just make sure if MQing that the one who needs the resulting item always turns in last but not every step is always MQable)..
    Tatanka likes this.
  9. Vumad Cape Wearer

https://special.eqresource.com/anepicrequest.php

One of the best quests added to the game has been An Epic Request. They quest is class specific. It is a newer epic that, in lieu of a weapon, gives you ornamentations of your epics. You must have your epic complete to be able to earn your epic ornamentation. I believe you get 1 ornamentation for completing it but you can repeat it to get your other ornament. Now you can turn any weapon you have into your epic visual (assuming it meets the requirements). For instance, clerics can only put their shield on a shield and their flair on a weapon, but I can put my Staff of Eternal Eloquence on both 1 or 2H which is awesome.

It sounds like you have your epic, so just go do the An Epic Request for SHD and you will get an ornament to put on your weapons. Weapons ornament slots are free, they do not need to be purchased like the Heroes Forge ornament slots.

As you might guess from my signature, adding ornamentations for the Staff of Eternal Eloquence is the best quest added to the game since the epic itself.

Coming in at 3rd place is the Baby Wrulon Familiar which matches the HoH Dire Charm pet, so very appreciative of whichever Dev made that happen. The baby Wrulon is available to all classes btw.
    Yinla, Bilderov and fransisco like this.
  10. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Yea only reason to do the wizards 2.0 is for the ornamentation otherwise its just crap. Had a worthless clicky when it was new reduce spell resist by 1% yea 1% what the hell.
  11. Bilderov Augur

I don't know what they were thinking when they gave out the rewards of some of the epics. Some are still handy to use today, others were worthless almost as soon as you got them.

It's as if completely different people worked on the different epics and didn't talk to each other.
  12. Beimeith Lord of the Game

It reduces resist rate by 1-50%. It doesn't have a level cap so it does still technically work, though since Focus of Arcanum does the same thing and isn't limited to 8 counters there isn't much reason to use the epic.

And for what it's worth, resists were a LOT more common during Omens of War. Gates/OoW had the worst resist rates for casters of like any expansion. They're still awful.
    Yinla likes this.
  13. Herf Augur

Side note for SKs: IMHO the Greenmist quest from Cabilis may well be better (in era) than the epic. It's open to any SK who has Cabilis faction, which can be obtained.
  14. Bilderov Augur

I suspect (incorrectly maybe) that people are doing the SK epic even now because it is still an fantastic buff to use during tanking. It scales to the level your at with it being a flat % of dmg taken.

That's why I find it weird that some epics like the SK one are still 'useful' 20 years later, but ones like the enchanter rune, or the mage pet were outdated by the next expansion.