Spell not found error with Malo AA

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by fransisco, Feb 28, 2024.

1. fransisco Augur

Class: mage level 111
    Zone: any
    Date: 2/27/24
    Server: Bertox

A friend and I were playing around on alts, and his mage hit lvl 111. His Malo AA immediately stopped working and gave him a "spell not found" error. This persisted until he left the group to gather his lvl 111 spells.
    Nennius likes this.
  2. Soulbanshee Augur

Not a bug.

Malaise (31)
    111 ToV
    Cast: Malaise IX
    Malaise IX, when activated, casts the highest rank of Malosinara that you have scribed.

The character levelled up, got the 111 AA auto grant (or bought it), and no longer met the requirements of the AA. This is not unique and all AA that "cast highest rank scribed" do this, which there are lots of among all classes. The error message in chat tells you that you do not have the spell scribed.
    Beimeith likes this.
  3. fransisco Augur

Sounds to me like the definition of a bug - by your own words. The spell was not scribed, yet it tried to cast it.

Not sure why you are trying to police honest bug posts
  4. Kaelwyse Journeyman

An interesting question is what should happen in this scenario. There are three reasonable outcomes I can think of.

1. It automatically casts the best spell you have from previous spells in the Malo line. In this specific case, presumably the level 106 Malosinata.
    2. The AA should not be available for purchase or autogrant until the Malosinara spell is scribed.
    3. An error message saying you don't have Malosinara scribed.

Of course, being Everquest, the third, most user-hostile option was chosen.
  5. Soulbanshee Augur

Yet they specifically coded the game to work exactly this way. This is the work of the AA revamp/consolidation, they reduced the work for having to create spell data for these types of AAs by instead having it cast the player spell. It was worse before where we used to not even have the error message telling us which spell wasnt scribed.
    Beimeith and GNOME_POWER like this.
  6. 666DPSweDeliver Augur

Read the exact words of the AA. The AA is trying to cast the level 111 Malosinara RK I, II or III but the mage only had the level 106 version of the spell scribed ... malosinata. Thus the AA is working correctly. Its looking for a spell which the mage didnt have memorized and has no capability to cast any lower version. The AA is working exactly as the description says. That folks want it to do something else is a design decision, not a bug.
  7. fransisco Augur

It says it will cast the highest version scribed. It is trying to cast a version that is not scribed.

Further, what is with the fun police here, declaring bugs "not a bug".
    Yinla likes this.
  8. Raccoo Augur

4. Turning off auto-grant for it (which I'd bet would be the most likely solution).
    But would players like this option? You'd have to spend AAs for it every level up instead.
    I'd prefer what it is now, and just having to remember to grab the next malo spell.
  9. Kendeth Augur

I think the fact that recently they changed the level of the LS rank of the malo AA for shamans because they were getting the new rank a level before they got the new malo spell was causing this same issue is a good indication that they think it's working at least somewhat as intended. Otherwise they could have changed the AA to instead cast the highest rank of any malo instead of changing the required level for the AA.

10. 666DPSweDeliver Augur

Because you continue to fail to see it's not a bug. The AA description says exactly what's it's trying to do, it's trying to cast the highest version of a specific spell. Heck, it even links in the AA description the exact spell it's trying to cast. The highest version is not a spell line, it's the rank 1, 2, or 3 of a specific spell. If you don't have any rank of that specific spell scribed, it casts nothing because you don't actually know the spell. Every caster class has a similar AA, and all of them work exactly the same. When something in the game works exactly as stated by the in-game description, it's by definition not a bug. But hey, keep claiming otherwise.
  11. fransisco Augur

Read your own description. The highest version of the spell SCRIBED.
    However this is devolving into forumquest - your here to win, to the detriment of the game.
    Its sad that people like you are policing the bug forum as you are
  12. Beimeith Lord of the Game

And you don't have it scribed, so it fails.

This is working as intended and is not a bug.
    Raccoo likes this.
  13. Windance Augur

I've been bitten by this exact issue a few times.

As others have pointed out, the text description would lead me to believe that it WILL cast the highest level spell I have SCRIBED, yet, it is implemented to cast the highest level spell I have AVAILABLE to me.

Its fairly trivial so I don't really care one way or the other, but a quick "fix" would be to just change the description of the AA to describe what it actual does, ie. replace SCRIBED to AVAILABLE and call it done. ( or mark it not a bug and just move on )
  14. Gialana Augur

I don't know if all AAs that cast spells work the same as Malaise, but I think I understand what fransisco is saying now.

The AA description for Malaise rank 31 says it casts the highest rank you have scribed of Malosinara (a level 111 spell for Magicians). This isn't quite true. The rank 31 of the AA actually casts Malaise IX. This is the name that will display in the cast bar, not Malosinara. If you have some rank of Malosinara scribed, then Malaise IX will apply that rank to your target. If you have no rank of Malosinara scribed, then when Malaise IX finishes casting, the npc you have targetted will aggro you, and you will get the error message that you don't know the spell. On the positive side, no mana is used.

So I agree there's no bug here, but it also wouldn't hurt to make the AA description more verbose. Something like:
    Casts Malaise IX.
    Malaise IX casts the highest rank of Malosinara you have scribed with a cast time of 0 seconds.

Maybe "cast time of 0 seconds" would be confusing, but I added it since Malaise IX has the cast time.

Edit: The striked out text is maybe not much better. Maybe this is:
    Casts Malaise IX.
    Malaise IX applies and consumes the mana of the highest rank of Malosinara you have scribed. If you have no rank of Malosinara scribed, no effect is applied.