Can we double the price of subs and Krono?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by fransisco, Feb 28, 2024.

1. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Increasing the price of the subscription doesn't mean that they will be spending more money on Everquest or any existing game. Not to mention as the subscription is currently in the price range of other modern MMO's that would give players a hard choice of paying more for an old game or less for a newer game.
    Syylke_EMarr and Rijacki like this.
  2. Dre. Altoholic

In what way?
  3. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Who wouldnt love $30 krono's haha ;)
  4. Windance Augur

I think if they jacked up the monthly price they would loose a lot of players. There are just too many other options out there, including their "free to play" model.
    Syylke_EMarr, Rijacki and CatsPaws like this.
  5. Dre. Altoholic

3 month sub perhaps :)
    Andarriel likes this.
  6. Marton Augur

Any extra money would just get siphoned out of EQ and we would not see any improvements.

Also, the state of the game, daybreak's approach to various issues, things we see in beta year after year after year ... we should pay more for all that? Seriously?

No.
  7. uberkingkong Augur

Yeah,
    think about krono is.

multigame currency.

So the pricing effects all the games. You gotta think about EQ2 community, they gonna get affected.
    Let EQ worry about their financials, you don't need to worry them.

Just need to give them easier test cases, be better QA testers because thats all you can do to help.

They need to that themselves though honestly.
    Provide good test cases for them.

Like 2 mercs fighting a T1 named mob, can they survive 10 mins. easy test, engage and go afk 10 mins, thats easy, do coding on something, go multitask and check back after 10 mins, merc survive. Thats good, its good to go production deployment.
    Note I didn't say they killed the named, I said they can survive. So the player can do dps and kill it, hopefully in 10 minutes which might be even more because these nameds are beefy in hp.

One thing I dislike about modern EQ.
    HME gap is really big at end game.
    Raider at 595 HME and then someone else they same level and like 265 HME.
    that means 2 times less dps or more 2 times less AC or more.
    So T1 named tickling raiders, they mauling other people. Including mercs. Gap is tooo big.
    Casual tickles on the named.
    The mercs aint doing squat but getting destroyed so its not fun.
    If the mercs could survive, I'll be able have T1 named be doable.
    takes 30 mins to kill good, at least its dead after 30 mins.
    Right now not doable, T1 named destroy merc, 265HME person gonna get whooped within the minutes.
    265 HME person is not the issue. The merc not surviving is the issue because its wailing on me, I'm not a tank, and if I was I'm not geared to tank, I don't years of investement to tank. Don't need argue about my stats.
    Problem merc not surviving, merc not doing good, tank merc cannot tank.

Better to have doable casual content then not doable.
    The biggest outlier is can mercs survive. They can't. So means not doable.
    Whether its 5 mins 10 mins 30 mins T1 named fights, not doable merc cannot survive so neither of these are doable.
  8. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

But that is the point and why players are so angry. It is not a lack of money that is causing the current issues.

And throwing more money after bad will not improve the recent issues.

They do not owe us everything but if they want to keep us then they do owe us a playable game. For everyone like it used to be. Just last year.
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Also as has been mentioned this would impact all games covered by the subscription which include Everquest, Everquest 2, Planetside 2, and DC Universe Online. All of those games could be impacted and hurt by an increased cost causing players to leave.
  10. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

I think the sub price is fine where it is since, as noted by others, it's in the same range as the sub price for other MMO type games. If it was increased, not only would there be no guarantee the money would go into game development but there would be no reason to have it put into EQ only since the sub does cover multiple games.

However, maybe Krono should have an expiration date on them. If not used within 3 months of purchase from DBG, they should be unusable or only redeemable for 1/2 value in DB coin. While the initial purchase of non-duped Krono is from DBG, the unredeemed Krono does impact their accounting (in the same way unredeemed gift cards or unused vacation days do for other companies). The fact Krono is hoarded and circulated through 3rd party sites, et. al. is bad on the books (as well as being disruptive to the game).
  11. uberkingkong Augur

I'd say to keep me, gotta go into EQ3, EQ is just far behind.
    You gotta let go.

Technology changes, can't keep a game up to date.
    Even games like WoW, they should make a WoW2, but since they #1 mine as well milk it.
    EQ though its 49/140 its in milking but kinda in long gone mode too.
    Bad idea to try get EQ outta 40s and get into the top 10, its gonna take a lot of luck, its 1999 core game.
    Runescape its 2004ish, EQ2 2004ish WoW 2004ish, their games are a lot smoother than EQ, a lot more capabilities. Thats just 5 year difference too. The MMORPGs like 2013, GW2 ESO FFXIV even more capabilities.

Expansions, not really helping, dished out 30 consecutive expansions, pretty much on life support because expectation of expansions and the expansions last just enough for a year.
    Other game like GW2, aint no one got everything. Legendaries, all of them, oh heck no, maybe a showoff that spends $$$$ and just buys everything, theres a lot to buy though.
    So point is that game isn't living off of expansions, too much to do in that game.

People angry EQ1, probably because time spent on depencency upgrades, but they use normal terms like DX upgrade, 64 bit upgrade, the ui engine upgrade, sounds cool think your gonna cool stuff. nothing, just the dependencies got upgraded. Honestly that means your computer uses more resources so it could affect your boxing if you have a barely boxable computer.
    UI engine? everyone is turning it off, so how long they spend on that, yeah that could make people angry. the old saying "prefer they work on something else" sad part is dependencies you gotta upgrade them. some dependencies break code so takes a long time to do.

Too busy too much time on dependencies, could have made EQ3 in that time.
    I guess at least EQ1 is playable in modern era so I guess thats a plus.

Go load a game like Lords of Magic (great game), all funky and crashes weird and what not, because it has some compatibility issue, dependencies need to upgraded or something. So its not smooth as it was back then.

So plus is EQ1 is playable in 2024 so I guess thats that.
    But so much time, coulda did EQ3 with that time.
    dx, ui, 64 bit, thats like what 3 years? 3 years enough to get EQ3 in early access.
    Could be enjoying 29 million players in early access, 29 million players paying $30 for early access.
    Like Palworld, and many other new games.

People want new games. They don't want no expansion that barely brings in anything.
    If anything I want in EQ1, is fashion wars. This game cosmetics is garbage. So hopefully that designer is doing fashion war stuff. Not no cartoony fashion either. Go back to core EQ, that kinda vibe fashion I want.
  12. Smokezz The Bane Crew

I don't see anger. I just see disagreement with the idea.

PS: I disagree too.
  13. Svann2 The Magnificent

I guess the plat price of kronos would double. Not saying thats good or bad, but its something to keep in mind.
  14. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Every time its mentioned that the evils of Krono are due to third party sites I envision a little gnome stamping out Krono discs on his forge in a smokey far away land. Lots of monkeys around for some reason. :confused:

Krono all come from DBG to begin with so its a win win to them and not real sure how they would shut down those sites. Its not like these are fake Air Jordens or Yeezys!

An expiration date would kill sales. I have a few hoarded for the last few years that I was given as a present and I would not like to feel forced to use it within a certain amount of time. If I did have to then it would be to sell them since I would forget and they would expire.
    code-zero and fransisco like this.
  15. Syylke_EMarr Augur

This right here. EQ does not exist in a vacuum. It's not the only MMO out there. Doubling the cost for a much older MMO makes absolutely zero business sense. We would see EQ dying within a year, most likely. (Or the cost change being reverted)
  16. Nennius Curmudgeon

Daybreak's record on reverting things isn't good. Anyway, you are right when you say that this games doesn't exist in a vacuum. If the price were raised much, or at all, there are certainly folks who would vote for another game with their feet, err fingers, and go elsewhere. Having said that, I could see a change in price at some time in the future. Up or down I can't say.
    Rijacki and Syylke_EMarr like this.
  17. Finchy Augur

you want more revenue for EQ, or well, EG7 (and hopefully they share some with Darkpaw?)

• Add more illusions to the game, and allow them to be accessible earlier on TLPs.
    • Add more mounts to the game, and allow them to be accessible earlier on TLPs.
    • Add more ornaments to the game, and allow them to be accessible earlier on TLPs.
    • Stop putting the crates and LoN stuff behind a gamble paywall and just put the items from inside of them on the marketplace directly, more will sell as people can buy exactly what they want. oh and allow them to be accessible earlier on TLPs.
    It's a pretty easy concept imo.
    Yinla likes this.
  18. Warpeace Augur

No, absolutely not, did Uber put you up to this?
  19. Lilfella Elder

I'm okay with there being a server that costs $30 a month to play on as long as it's not my server.
    Barton-Vox and Nennius like this.
  20. Iven the Lunatic

There is a sweet spot for subscription prices:
    If the prices are to high, less people would subscribe, which would result in less revenue.
    If the prices are to low, more people would subscribe, but the revenue would be less.

I think that the current subcription prices are a little bit above the sweet spot because of boxers. For single account players, the current price is alright, maybe even a bit to low. However, boxing 2-3 accounts seems to be the most common approach. While the subscription prices have been slightly lowered over the years, DBG has added many new and extended options where players can spend their money. You have to see the whole package, it is not only about subscriptions, where the revenue is coming from. That the money inflation is eating up the subscription revenue is fair, because the game is aging, and all the new additions/features can not really balance that out.
    Bernel likes this.