What do you like about playing EQ

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Puckbone, Feb 25, 2024.

1. fransisco Augur

I like that its a complex game that can be coop (just play with a couple of friends). Some classes like SK and SHM have very low skill floors, so people can play without huge investments, yet other classes have much higher skill floors and ceilings. So you can put alot of time into it to be better if you want.
  2. Cadira Augur

I don't really like eq, I'm just severely addicted to it.

On an unrelated note, y'all got anymore of them raids? *Scratches neck*
  3. minimind The Village Idiot

1. Variety of game play styles. Classes, level, content, group size, seriousness-- all variable.
    2. I haven't played on one yet.
    3. When I complete all the content from the newest expansion (all quests, AAs, worthwhile upgrades, etc.). This usually doesn't happen until spring/summer because I never rush through it all.
    4. Financial risk. Most would predict that few would actually show up to play new level 70 zones, quests, and raids. Thus it would be best to develop new content for where the current players are: level 110-125+. Sure, people could go back to the new low-level zones and breeze through there while being overleveled or they could play it at-level with alts, but it wouldn't be as well-played as new zones for the top levels.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  4. Nennius Curmudgeon

I also forgot to mention the free krono.
  5. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Bug fixes would never go amiss especially if the bug manifested because of an unrelated change (such as the change to body types making game play immensely different in certain locations). Sadly, I don't think they give much thought to how the global changes made for current expansion content affects all the existing content. In part, that's because there is A LOT of previous content. But, unlike a release for a product, the customers/players aren't and shouldn't be encouraged to only run the most current release.

One way to encourage play through of the lower level content, the immense wealth of it, could be rewards for the max (or just higher level) characters on the same account. In a way, something reverse of the heritage bonus on Oakwynd.
    • Since there are already merchants in-game for it, giving a much higher Tribute value to low level (especially non-Defiant, i.e. earlier itemisation) items including all those with a 0 coin value (like quest items for quest rewards with earlier itemisation) could encourage doing the content that the "value" of the items themselves would not. Since classic to PoP (and later) TLPs don't get Tribute until the expansion it's unlocked, it would have zero impact on them.
    • Add yet another alternate currency and a merchant that will take those same type of items as noted above and offer items from specific expansions unlocked by the character's level. For example, having the Faded Snowbound items available for characters that have hit level 110, they would still need the vellium and emblem to make the armor part. The merchant items could be limited, too, by the F2P expansions and/or where AA auto-grant comes in. No impact on TLPs and no new items made. This wouldn't be as impactful for those in the current expansion but could help bridge the "gap" of the 100 to 120+ that some complain about.
    • Give AA rewards, either AA points, or a new type of AA to the completion of the lower level "progression" and other general. You have to go many expansions down the timeline before you start to get ANY rewards other than maybe a compass for exploring and/or a small (by today's standards) bag for hunters other than meaningless achievement point score. Even the most completionist player still likes rewards more than smoke. Or, a reward could even be placable item that have no game play impact that could be sold to the Loyalty merchant to buy a different reward for those who are completely anti-housing.
    • Give rewards for levels of achievement points scored (give a meaning to the 5pts, 10pts, etc for different types of achievements).
    Just a few I could think of off the top of my head that would likely have lower development impact than, say, adding a whole new zone in a level range unlikely to impact any but a small number, but might encourage more to go back into the lower level areas on Live.
    Dre. likes this.
  6. Fenthen aka Rath

Saturday, my friend! Five more sleeps to go!
    Cadira likes this.
  7. Dre. Altoholic

Would love to see a vendor that sells loot that's outdated, but still nice for lowbies, at a tribute cost.

Anyone can earn tribute = anyone can gear themselves for their level.
  8. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

That would be nice in both directions. Tribute for ALL outdated items, gear and quest bits, as well as the same merchant(s) selling it for tribute so someone could get that nostolgic item. Again, since Tribute merchants don't come into the game for several expansions, it would have zero effect on the early expansion TLPs.
    Dre. likes this.
  9. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I am not a min max player in fact the exact opposite so prejudging is probably a really bad idea. I have been leading a guild since 1999 so. I run no spreadsheets. I just enjoy the content and one of my mottos is Everquest should not be a second job so you pretty much got me 100% wrong. I run a casual guild for casual players called Lions of the Heart. The guild name is very important because the underlying thing is that I value the people in my guild not their EQ gaming abilities. By their nature high end raid guilds need to emphasize quality players and players who can follow the instructions of quality players. I just concentrate on nice people. That is not to say that raiders are not nice many are great folks but we just have a different focus. Head to lionsoftheheart.com and check out our guild history and such.

I was around when the term min/maxers came about with point based table top RPGs where folks would take try to make characters with the most benefits by maxing penalties and bonuses. I have always been more of a role player in those games. It wasn't about maxing your benefits it was about creating a character that could have a good story. And a side note my first character was named Corwyn no h in it and that was in 1975 when I started playing D&D during my first year of high school.

Not sure what discord has to do with anything. I much prefer Teamspeak but my guild members wanted discord. Rarely gets used though. Where does discord come into the discussion? Because we are not a goal based guild and have no DKPs to worry about folks tend to not use the discord channel much.

And I agree they could do better with what is already there. I think more then the Heros Journey should be done.

I also think there is more we players can do. I regularly do buff sessions in PoK on my server and they are always for all levels. I do MGBs at eight different levels the lowest ones landing on level 1 toons. Because they low level game is a solo one I think its the best way to help folks out.

Heh oh and on my personal business cards the motto is "Enjoy the journey not just the destination". Its a principle I live by.

P.S. I should probably update my recruitment ad on here I am guessing you got the 21 year thing from there?

P.P.S. Not offended at all but surprised you pegged me for a min/maxer. I am not even a completionist. I don't like people pushing me to jump through their hoops so Daybreaks attempts to get me to spend more time on the game for things I dont find interesting falls on deaf ears for me. Even though I box I play for the peeps in the game. Its the same reason I do all level buffs for folks as often as I can and still get my own play time in.
    code-zero, Yinla and Rijacki like this.
  10. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Psst... look at your signature :)

The rest of your post is wonderful :)

I'm an RPer and also think the journey is what makes the game.

I have also done min/max raiding years ago while also being an RPer who likes the journey, so it's not entirely incompatible. Part of the RP for that particular character was entwined with her min/maxing. Why shouldn't a character want to be the very best she can be? Of course she would know how the world works and how various aspects of it affect her abilities. Even in my more recent forays into non-progression raiding, I still RP. Some of those with whom I have raided haven't picked up on that until weeks after I've been raiding with them 'cause I don't usually use accents or other stilted language with most of my characters.

All have backstories of some sort, aspects of which that often gets shaped as I play though usually starts as seeds while I am in character creation. I have alt-itis but each character has their own uniqueness. I also often incorporate game features into the RP of my characters, too. For example, I have 2 merc slots open on an account: My not-oft played monk has a healer merc and a damage dealer merc of her same race; the mercs are her dads who want to come along on her journeys to protect her but one always needs to stay at home to run their business. Even though I just solo that character the RP gives her life and personality.
  11. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Heh heh thanks :) Changed it up so I don't have to update it each year.

Mix maxing in EQ really isnt quite the same as it was in table top gaming. For EQ it just means getting all you can out of your stats and gear etc really. In table top games folks would have x number of points to spend on a character with bonus traits costing points and negative traits giving you more points effectively. Folks would sometimes pick contradictory traits just to max the points they couild spend. In these games RPing was put in the backseat to maxing the character power. But yeah in EQ they are not contradictory at all.

And I am the same with backstories :). Every game I play I am always story building (I guess many years as a Game Master for tabletop RPGS started it. Any game I play I create a story in my head as I play it whether its a zombie survival game like 7 Days to Die or empire building like Bannerlord I always build a story around my game play. Nice to see I am not alone.

Mix maxing in eq is just extra work I can't be bothered with. I prefer to spend my game time leveling and keeping my characters progressing. So I stick to the basics most of the time maxing my levels and aas on all 9 of main toons on my accounts so I am ready to do MGBs each level increase. All are toons I use to buff except my wiz.

I am not even sure min maxing even really applies to EQ. I think its more of whether a person is a completionist or not. ie... getting every bonus by completing even the most tedious stuff. Only ever done one epic for myself. Many for others. Never done the tradeskill earring or the gear that needs leveling. I do commend those that do it though. Lots of work and I am sure all the bonuses add up.
    Rijacki likes this.
  12. code-zero Augur

@Corwyhn Lionheart : you likely got labeled a min/maxer because you haven't chronically quit the game since 1999. I have observed that most claiming to just "enjoy the journey" are notorious for staying camped in the same place way too long and consequently missing the journey. Funny how that works
    Rijacki likes this.
  13. uberkingkong Augur

Not gonna lie, one of my favorite things nostalgia wise was looking at LFG and seeing familiar people and catching up if they was fun to play with, which most were.

Sad thing about EQ, today.
    0 LFG, all day every day.

I loved seeing a buddy or someone I'm familiar on LFG and surprising them running to where they are at and then grouping up and having fun.
    Back then, two people hybrids or whatever they could do nameds. Like in Karnors castle, Veksar (some nameds too tough). So no more just killing at entrance, now we can venture and do stuff somewhat decent yet slow, and hope no adds come. Nameds went down pretty quickly compared to today too, like 1 to 2 min fights. Stressfree, unless it was a unique one or in tough area ones.

But EQ LFG it was you meeting a person, other games its more of a filling of the role, so kinda not as unique.
    This is why TLPs are the way to go, people get that nostalgia vibe, go LFG. Check LFG LFG LFG.
    Andarriel likes this.
  14. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

I do agree with uber on this. I went lfg to no avail. There's a reason why people play with there boxes. Last time lfg went well for me was during LDoN were i could put lfg and have a group within 5 mintutes miss those days.
    Dre. likes this.
  15. Bigstomp Augur

There is nothing mysterious about 1-75. Everyone's figured it out and it's trivial to beat old raids because everyone knows how the mechanics actually work.

The hard part is forming up enough bodies into a raid force because old stuff still needs at least a few bodies.
    Rijacki and Yinla like this.
  16. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Not many use LFG these days most groups get formed with friends, guildmates or players from /general.

Persoanally. I get messaged in Whatsapp, if I'm free I'll log in and group if not I'll let them know when I'm available and we plan the group from there with or without me. If I want to play and Whatsapp friends aren't available I'll log in and see what the guilds are doing on one of the servers I play on.

Usually if there is nothing going on I will do some tradeskill, old hunter or old quest stuff no one else wants to do. On rare occassions I will see if there are any groups going in general. I can box if I need to but I'm very lazy with that and it is only as a last resort. I tend to box more on Vaniki than on live, mainly due to my playtime and there not being very many euros on that server.

I can always find something to do in EQ thou.
    Rijacki likes this.
  17. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Heh heh... I see your point but disagree. Who is to say that the person enjoying the journey sitting in a came is not enjoying their journey?

We can't define how everyone is enjoying things. And I take the enjoy the journey simply to mean folks aren't turning the game into a job till they get to a specific goal. So it doesn't matter what they do or how they do it. As long as they are enjoying what they do and having fun it hasn't turned into a job for them.

And to be clear there is no right way to play. Enjoying the journey or turning the game into a job till you get to a goal are both completely valid ways to play EQ. I think the difference is about how driven a person is to get to a goal. Some drive themselves hard in games and some don't. Both are valid.
    Rijacki likes this.
  18. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

During Covid when I was playing with my daughter we out levelled some low level TSS content really fast. When your first playing the game you don't want to be one shotting mobs, as this is a mindset you don't want to get used to or you get a shock when you move on to harder content and mobs don't fall over when you look at them. It is also easier to learn your class when mobs aren't dying in seconds.

We got to Goru Mesa before she returned to work, but a lot of the time we were killing greens and greys and trying very hard not to level.

She has shown an interest in playing again recently, but I not until the DX11 issues are fixed or she won't last long.
  19. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Good example.
  20. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

LOL thats exactly what i do hunters or tradeskills. Yea theres lots to do in eq for sure.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.