Memory Mode Loading Changes

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Veteran_BetaTester, Feb 21, 2024.

1. Derek Lorekeeper

I completely understand that EQ is probably tricky to code for, I'm not a coder but we had a much better working game before and now we dont. Take the time needed to make it work as intended but in the meantime give everyone back a working game. Revert. It was clear in beta there were problems, that's what beta is for, to work out these issues... and is something like being able to window out to access desktop and alt tab really all that difficult to just acknowledge and remedy? The issues with graphics loading I'm guessing is a priority but with the previous problems as well its just smothering the desire to play and keep paying...
    Krabbi, CatsPaws and Scila like this.
  2. fransisco Augur

My point is that no beta could make the rollout work. The wider eq population has so many different hardware combinations, its impossible to prepare for. Perhaps DB could have messaged better that it would be a little rough for a couple months. However no beta could've made it perfect. And thats before we get to the small size of the team.
  3. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

I ran backwards to the small bank, turned around and saw this...
    [IMG]
    The problem here is, if I'm in a raid and I turn around, this takes time to load which is processing taking time to load. I want it loaded. I can't spend thousands of dollars on equipment and fees to be fast to have a decision to effect MY game play by some Memory file adjusted.
    Yinla, CatsPaws and Metanis like this.
  4. Windance Augur

If you set your per-frame loads low you zone fast and can react smoothly, the cost is the models not having textures. After adjusting my graphics settings I have almost no lag due to textures loading. If you want one on one help with changing the settings send me a PM.

That last sentence needs some work but I think you are saying, you can't afford to buy a new machine and ... something ... not happy with the current game loop
    Veteran_BetaTester likes this.
  5. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

I was better before the patch.
    Yinla and CatsPaws like this.
  6. Nennius Curmudgeon

So was I. Now for my computer...
    fransisco and Yinla like this.
  7. Scila Augur

If the comp is current, updated correctly, and having problems, there is no reasonable explanation why this should be a problem other than an app problem. Buying new machines, adjusting settings on machines, changing individual app settings accomplishes squat other than to test what may or may not work moving forward or put the fix off to the player to adjust what they shouldn't have to imo.
    Barton-Vox, Yinla and CatsPaws like this.
  8. Kalamos Augur

I'm getting some pretty bad hitching in Frontier Mountains on a PC that was working with dx11 pretty well before the February patch. Looks like I'm going to have to start fiddling with some .ini settings.
  9. Lodestar The Undefeated

Straight up R-rated content. Good thing there's no kids playing anymore, and we're all geriatrics and slowly dying nowadays.
  10. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

This needs fixing before T3 raids are released. 2 of those raids have a lot of moving around the zone.
  11. Windance Augur

Then you actually WANT the game to let you in zone with out waiting for the all the textures to load. You trade grey bodies for load times. If you set the per frame values low, you trade smooth camera moving for grey bodies.

I have my files tweaked for fast loading and smooth camera motion and accept the grey textures. If anyone wants to replicate the settings the main things I did:

eqclient.ini

[Defaults]
    GraphicsMemoryMode=2
    MipMapping=FALSE
    ShowDynamicLights=FALSE
    TextureQuality=1
    AllLuclinPcModelsOff=0

Resources/memory.ini

[MemoryMode2]
    BitmapsPerFrame=1
    TextureLoadsPerFrame=1
    AnimationLoadsPerFrame=1
    MaxTextureQuality=0
    MinTextureQuality=0
  12. Scila Augur

The problem with futzing with the ini file ... you're doing db's job for them. Here is what is being forgotten. If, and I do mean if, it's like other businesses, they have set specs to play for a reason. They have a stash of comps in a test room with a variety of set ups to experiment with and see what works and what blows up. They can reset/reload at will and try again as much as they want to figure out what to push to test/beta before it goes to live.

These include the variety of desktops, laptops, video cards, monitors, etc. They won't catch every set up but working from the required specs to play the game, they can narrow down what won't work. This should be blowing up somewhere in that test room. If the test room doesn't exist or isn't being used, well, that's their bad.

And ... this is way before it goes to the test server ... or beta ... or anywhere else. This is a separate configuration between the dev's system where the work is done and "lets see if this works" which is where the rubber meets the road.
    Veteran_BetaTester and CatsPaws like this.
  13. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I don't want grey textures loading in when I'm trying to move around a zone while trying to avoid mobs.

Hitching was barely noticeable before the patch, I'd prefer longer load times than greyed out graphics.
    CatsPaws and Scila like this.
  14. Windance Augur

I'm 95% positive that when you zoning, your character is placed in the zone before the "loading" screen goes away. If you have longer loading times, its possible you are going to be sitting there "waiting" to go for longer.

I've seen this when two boxing. You can zone a character into someplace sucky like the GL lag pile, go load in a character and you'll see their model pop in before the loading screen goes away.

The loading screen is just there to hide whats happening to the game world while the client gets things ready.
  15. Velisaris_MS Augur

Why the hell have people bought into the idea that it's an either/or situation? Are we really this numb to crappy game performace that we're willing to just shrug our shoulders and accept it?

It's time they fix their GD game. It shouldn't be an either/or scenario...we should be able to zone with normal graphics loading AND have no hitching. That's how it's supposed to work, and the devs should be ashamed of themselves that it's not.

Players cannot start accepting this trade-off nonsense...both things should be fixed and working. And it's up to us to hold their feet to the fire and make them do it.
    Derek, thebes99, Scila and 7 others like this.
  16. Loup Garou De loop de loop

But its not just when you zone. If you are just standing there and turn then everything goes gray. If the client has to "get things ready" when I am just turning my character 1 inch then the "client" is lagging, not me.
    Yinla likes this.
  17. Bernel Augur

This also happens to me. It seems to be loading the textures when I look in that direction, not just when I zone in. I've done things like cast a port spell and then go get something to eat. I'll come back 5 minutes later and my view is loaded, but when I turn around I see grey textures.
    Yinla, Velisaris_MS and Knifen like this.
  18. Velisaris_MS Augur

Yep. On my server, the lobby is the "buff pile" zone, so that's where I usually log off and log in. After I've finished loading in, I turn a bit, let the textures load, turn a bit more, load more textures, and so on...until I've done a complete 360.

And the textures, at least for me, always seem to load farthest to nearest. The players farthest away from me always load textures first and then progressively load as they get closer.
  19. Windance Augur

With the way I have it set, I have almost no lag, because I'm not waiting on the textures to load.
  20. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Before DX11... anyone have a backup of the files we can have considering I have asked what the files looked like before the update and got given a Memory.ini copy paste of what is now being worked on.

What was it before?
    It worked for me before..

If you developers can not answer that, or get our game fixed, or put things in that breaks the game...
    Why are you here working for the company.

I don't get it.

Where is the.. management.. Why the . . you guys here still?

I just don't get it.

You have '' fixed '' the game to show maked npc's.
    It is as if you don't know what the heck you're doing?

Why are you touching our game??
    Seriously, why are you touching our game??

Why are you here messing with the game?

STOP.
    Who put you in charge?

IF this is it, let it go.

Stop messing things up.

Is this some kind of thing to see who gets pissed off?

We have had enough.
    Derek, Mesil and Yinla like this.