Fixed Short freezes on mob spawn (DX11)

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by sunjis, Feb 2, 2024.

1. Windance Augur

Sadness. This means events that spawn lots of mobs are going to be super bad. Was hoping we'd get some returning members their last Dance of the Demiurge achievements.
    EtoileNEO and airez like this.
  2. Lodestar The Undefeated

Still an issue after today's patch. No change.
  3. sunjis Apprentice

Tried to do some measurements today. In Toskirakk, since it's most consistent for me, there is not much else going on in the zone, and it has fast respawn. Procedure: Alone in zone, killed first 4 slavers, then suspended merc, hid corpses, sat down and didn't move camera. Waited for first respawn then started capture with OCAT.
    Did that with different frame-rate limits and results are in picture that should be attached.
    [IMG]
    The three respawns captured are very evident at any frame-rate, though the effect is lesser in absolute terms at higher frame-rates.
  4. Nennius Curmudgeon

It also isn't a new issue. I happened in the past as well. Consistency is good?
    airez likes this.
  5. Lodestar The Undefeated

Great visualization. Hopefully this is clear for the devs!

I would very much argue however that at higher framerates with higher engagements of mouselook activity, the symptoms are worse. This is because the perception of going from 200fps to 0fps is greater than from 60fps to 0fps.
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  6. Rogue001 Lorekeeper

We tried to do Deepshade: Myconid Mutiny last night and it was completely unplayable. Every time an add wave spawned everyone in the raid had massive lag. I even notice this to a lesser extent in the Final Fuge mission. After the 3 goblins are killed there is a small lag spike, and when Khar spawns there is a small lag spike.
  7. sunjis Apprentice

Yes, I agree. Before the patch I played with unlimited framerate, but limited it to 60 after the DX11 transition because the inconsistency made using mouselook almost impossible in certain areas. Not that it was ever super smooth before, but certainly not this bad.

I also must stress that this npc spawn issue is by far not the only source of hitching and inconsistent frame time in the game, it's just the one I wanted to focus on in this thread.
    EtoileNEO, airez and Windance like this.
  8. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

This could be fun in the Nokk raid.

Experienced the mob dying after the char has dinged on Thursday.

Needs fixing sooner than March's patch.
    airez likes this.
  9. Velisaris_MS Augur

Yep, that is exactly what I experience every time doing that mission.
    Yinla, airez and Silvena like this.
  10. Svann2 The Magnificent

I think this has always been a problem, but may be more frequent or noticeable to more people now. What Ive always seen is that while moving around using left+right button mousemove suddenly Ill be pointing the wrong direction or even camera pointing straight up or down. Its annoying. I believe its not just npcs spawning but players entering zone as well.
  11. Briano Journeyman

In the NoS raid Myconid Mutiny, the video lag gets horrible.
    airez likes this.
  12. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

100% valid.
    airez likes this.
  13. airez New Member

i never had so much lag more mobs there are poping the more my player can't do anything i be pushing heal button now casting finaly we before screen unlocks find whole raid dead crystall crusher
  14. sunjis Apprentice

Situation still unchanged for me regarding this issue. The changes to allow more texture preloading made things much smoother in many areas (at the cost of significantly increased memory use, but this hasn't been an issue for me so far) and fixed the grey pop in issues, so thanks for that.
    However, the freezing caused by certain mob spawns persists, with the same intensity. (Retested only at 60 fps)
    [IMG]
    Windance and Velisaris_MS like this.
  15. Windance Augur

Thank you Sunjis for the post. It is a nice, clean, way to prove the scope of the problem. Love the data/graphs.

They really need to track whatever is causing these lag spikes.
  16. Cairbrae Developer

Internal good news to share: Typical NPC spawn performance has been improved by about 10x and its contribution to per-frame spikes has been reduced by over 50%. This is internal beta and not on Test or Live yet.
    Jedis, Miminona, Beimeith and 12 others like this.
  17. Velisaris_MS Augur

Any chance you can share what you think the problem was and what you did that may have fixed it?
    Knifen and Windance like this.
  18. Drakang Augur

Noticeable in the new Anniversary mission when the named pops drakes.
    Moege likes this.
  19. Peter_The_great Elder

Wonder what kind of hardware Everquest servers runs on, IBM 2004 machines? Would be fun to know.
  20. Peter_The_great Elder

Yea, no... BUT! The dev's surely can look into how to squeeeeeeze more money out of the game =)

Some one from the US gotta sue em, to get something rolling.. It can't continue like this.. Some dude sued EA-games and won, surely some dude can sue Darkpaw corp (Or whatever runs this show) for false advertence, also for the loot boxes.