Post patch bugs.

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Herf, Feb 21, 2024.

1. Herf Augur

Graphics:

Zoning in to PoK takes a second or two to render textures on buildings and toons. Nothing worse than seeing a pantsless male ogre.

[edit] 5 seconds to render on my Dell laptop.
    [edit] frame rate still a slide show when turning corners into new areas.

System info: Win 10, 16 gig memory, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

Personas:

(alleged, not experienced.) Can't switch persona.
  2. Soulbanshee Augur

Delayed loading to correct client freezing, this is the new normal.
    Herf and fransisco like this.
  3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Yep had no problem before the patch with stuff being gray when I zoned or logged in.

Now it does the gray thing every time I zone or log in.

Was set at balanced memory so I changed it to "least" and then tried "most" - both made it worse.
    mercury890 and Herf like this.
  4. Herf Augur

Sigh. Does it really have to be THIS hard?

[edit] my GOD this is horrible. I'm true boxing 3 toons, switching between accounts to buff in PoK and it's now taking many seconds to render pok when I zone in.

PLUS after beign logged in but not moving, rotating in place is a lesson in texture mapping.

I can't believe this patch was tested before being fielded :(
    mercury890 and CatsPaws like this.
  5. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Still missing textures and a few seconds of grey while some stuff load in. :rolleyes:
    mercury890 likes this.
  6. Zeelot Elder

Same problems here. Game is becoming more and more unplayable with each update.
    mercury890 and Iven like this.
  7. Lodestar The Undefeated

• Memory.ini is where quickness of textures loading can be adjusted.
    • TextureLoadsPerFrame at higher values will cause blank/gray textures to render faster, however hitching/stuttering increases significantly.
    • TextureLoadsPerFrame at lower values will cause blank/gray textures to render slower, however hitching/stuttering is vastly improved.
    So until further enhancements happen, pick your poison. Decrease hitching at the cost of slower texture loading, or increase your hitching (stuttering) to see textures quicker.
  8. MischiefMage00 New Member

Unreal. Let's solve the problem with more arcane ini commands that nobody will understand or know how to set.
    Herf likes this.
  9. Iven the Lunatic

I think that hardware, drivers, and Windows versions are becoming more and more incompatible to new and old code. A solution could be to let EQ run with an e m u l a t o r (censored word !) or a virtual OS, that in the best case does get automatically provided by DBG without the user noticing.
    Metanis likes this.
  10. Dre. Altoholic

What are valid ranges for this variable?
  11. Missiny Journeyman

somwhere here there is a thread talking about memory512.ini. If I remember well, there has been description about the range of the values.
  12. Soulbanshee Augur

Documentation for all the settings is in the Memory.ini file.

# TextureLoadsPerFrame--The number of deferred textures the renderer will load from disk each frame.

# AnimationLoadsPerFrame--The number of deferred animations the renderer will load from disk each frame.

# BitmapsPerFrame--The number of textures that will be analyzed for reclamation each frame.

# DownsamplesPerFrame--The maximum number of textures that can be down-sampled each frame.

# DownsampleDistance1--If a texture is further than this distance (in feet) from the camera, it will have one MIP level removed when down-sampled.

# DownsampleDistance2--If a texture is further than this distance (in feet) from the camera, it will have two MIP levels removed when down-sampled.

# UpsamplesPerFrame--The maximum number of textures that can be re-loaded per frame if they have gotten closer than UpsamplesDistance.

# UpsamplesDistance--The distance at which a texture will be upsampled to a higher quality.

# TimeoutNearDistance--If a texture is further than this distance (in feet) from the camera and not being rendered, it will use a linearly interpolated timeout between TimeoutNearTime (milliseconds) and TimeoutFarTime (milliseconds).

# TimeoutNearTime--Timeout (milliseconds) since last render for closer textures.

# TimeoutFarDistance--If a texture is further than this distance (in feet) fromthe camera and not being rendered, it will use timeout of TimeoutFarTime (milliseconds) before being unloaded.

# TimeoutFarTime--Timeout (milliseconds) since last render for far away textures.

# MaxTextureQuality--The maximum quality that textures in the game will be loaded at (0 is highest, 2 is lowest).

# MinTextureQuality--The minimum quality that textures in the game will be loaded at (0 is highest, 2 is lowest).

# TextureDistance1--The distance beyond which textures will be loaded at the medium texture quality.

# TextureDistance2--The distance beyond which textures will be loaded at the low texture quality.

# MaxHighQualityTextureMem--The maximum amount of memory that can be used by the game on high quality textures.

# DownsampleTextureMem--The minimum texture memory that must be loaded for the game to begin downsampling textures that have reached downsampling distances.
  13. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

This feels like a graphics render pipeline limitation. DX11 allows for more render calls per cycle, resulting in increased render performance.

Cairbrae, not sure if this is being looked at. I'm sure it is...
  14. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Just to make sure that this is the new normal - everyone playing the game on any computer should see white out or grey renditions when zoning?
  15. Lodestar The Undefeated

Yes, it's the normal for this patch, unless you increase your TexturesLoadsPerFrame to well above 10. However if you do this, hitching is worse, so I wouldn't really recommend it.
  16. Cairbrae Developer

17. Cairbrae Developer

It's a 32 bit integer so the positive range is 0 to 2147483647.
    In practice a much lower value like 10000 is "unlimited".
    Dre. likes this.
  18. Ozadar Elder

I froze up and eventually crashed while zoning on multiple characters. This was on the classic UI and full screen. Did not have a problem at half screen with no stretching.

Ozadar of Zek
    Ascending Dawn
  19. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Hitching is noticeably better like this. It's obviously not a perfect solution, but I'd way rather see some weird gray textures for a few seconds after zoning than I would hitch every time adds spawn in a raid.
    Windance likes this.
  20. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I did not have any "hitching" or "zoning freezing" before. Now I have up to 5 minutes, yes 5! of grey renditions after zoning depending on the zone. Yes, I understand it depends on how much it has to render up.

The only time this is not a bother is when zoning into dark zones like Demiplane of Decay as someone else mentioned that is so dark you can't see anything anyway.

I would prefer the hitching or slower zoning.

I think my EQ days are coming to an end.
    mercury890 and Yinla like this.
  21. Windance Augur

Before when? DX11 push to live? or before this latest patch?

I run the other way, I prefer smooth camera motion with delayed texture loading rather than getting camera hitching or slower zoning.