Do we need a hardcore server?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by TanlerTheTease, Feb 21, 2024.

1. TanlerTheTease New Member

Is that even a viable idea? Maybe not hardcore in raids?
  2. Dre. Altoholic

This was called Discord once upon a time. And pvp I believe.

Maybe a HC server that is ONLY hardcore in raids!
  3. Vetis Augur

I don't think its viable sadly. Outside of the death touch mechanic and rez becoming useless. People would spin up level 1's just to train people. FTE could mitigate it a little bit but still.

I think Dre hit it on the head. PVP is EQ on hardcore mode.
    Peter_The_great likes this.
  4. Aiona Augur

For some reason my mind went directly to Runescapes Ironman mode, which I might be very interested in if it came to EQ.

Hardcore as in perma-death if you die? Nooope. :p
  5. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Depends on what your definition of hardcore is.

Permadeath, Lower Exp, Reduced Drops, No Trading, No Boxing, No Exp Potions, Reduced Coin Drop, Reduced Tradeskill Chance, Reduced Spawn Rates, No Pickzones, No Origin, Obscenely Dark Darkness, Increased XP loss on death (instead of permadeath), No AoCs, Reduced Group/Raid Size Caps.

Lots of options, and lots of combos make a really terrible play experience. At the suggestion of being slower exp Mangler was pretty quickly changed after a pretty vocal forum outcry so I wouldn't hold out hope that the community really wants it.
    code-zero likes this.
  6. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

That's not what Dre was saying. The Discord server that was a temporary server leading up to the release of GoD, was a server that you went back to level 1 upon death and it was a PvP server.
    I have always wanted to see what a PvE version of Discord would have been like. I think that it would have been a lot more fun not having to worry about all the griefers.
    Cidran and Dre. like this.
  7. Xeris Augur

Selos was called the hardcore server, no?
  8. error Augur

EverQuest is a game where a mob literally just paths badly then warps on you and one-rounds you. The kind of gameplay that a "hardcore" server would require wouldn't be appealing to 99.999% of players. It'd be along the lines of mains afking in safety at max exp distance while double invised and letting boxes carry them.
    Shalom and Peter_The_great like this.
  9. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

According to Darkpaw, originally No. https://tagn.wordpress.com/2019/02/14/everquest-20th-anniversary-progression-servers-announced/ (third party "announcement" but is close to what the ofificial original announcement was that no longer exists)

They believed Selo would be the casual friendly server because it had faster XP rate (nevermind the 1 month expansions lol) and Mangler was set to have much slower xp rates, hence the "hardcore" tag. The reduced XP was scrapped quickly after the announcement and it was then rebranded as a "standard" progression server.

Which just emphasizes to be careful what you ask for if you ask Darkpaw for a "hardcore" server
    Vetis and Hekkthebank like this.
  10. jeskola pheerie

That was before bobby and co schooled holly in that one chat
  11. jeskola pheerie

Why can't DPG just contract Bobbybick. You too busy staring at faces in east karana pass?
    Bobbybick likes this.
  12. Chuuk Augur

Hardcore-ish? Yes.

It's no secret that EQ TLPs are just stupid easy. Player power, no CRs, overpowered items, rampant boxing and "software" usage...you name it.

Personally, I prefer P99 because it's actually challenging. I don't like every aspect (definitely don't bring back corpse runs!), but man, you can at least play the game. It's like actually fishing, not just catching.

If they made a TLP that was pretty close to P99, I'd get back in and play for sure. Just, no corpse runs man.
    Vetis likes this.
  13. Hekkthebank Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds

P199 is challenging? Are you intoxicated?
    Muramx likes this.
  14. Muramx Augur

Lol there is nothing "challenging" about p99... Slow and tedious yes... Hard not at all.
  15. Shalom Quillmane Bane

This is exactly my first thought, the game is way to janky to support a perma-death mode. Although, it would be an interesting experiment. Players would find new ways of doing things and a new "hardcore" meta would arise.
  16. Arclyte Augur

I don't see a "hardcore" server ever working. It would be cool if they could make the game more challenging without making it more tedious though.

Maybe something like ~30% increased respawn rate across the board. Would make the group game a little harder in some places, with the upside of reducing some toxicity from groups pulling each others mobs.

Also, remove keying :)
  17. Chuuk Augur

Yes^2.
  18. Ubuh New Member

Discord server was incredible and would be my #1 ask with a huge bullet. That said, cheating was rampant on it so and would need to be addressed, but permadeath + pvp was incredibly interesting and tense outside of the hackers.
    Barton-Vox likes this.
  19. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

As we saw with the initial announcement for Selo and Mangler players and devs have very different ideas on what a hardcore and casual server should be.
  20. code-zero Augur