Memory Mode Loading Changes

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Veteran_BetaTester, Feb 21, 2024.

1. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Graphical loading is now slower. More naked npc's. Turning to face 180 and turning back the world has to reload. memory has been effected so much it doesn't remember behind me.
    Zoning into a zone: I zone in and see the world still loading.
  2. Warpeace Augur

Seeing a lot of grey loading textures when zoning in both the default Memory.ini and the recent Memory512 version.
  3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

4. Jedipokey The Devs have become better at Apathy! (380)

Oakwynd you cannot change personas
  5. AfridKanne New Member

Cant be in full screen mode and tab out. EQ only offers a windowed version when tabbing back in, alt-o shows the setting to be in full screen mode but it won't maximize

Had similar issue last patch but was able to minimize web browser and EQ would self maximize into full screen
    Hegsheoshed and Aaikan like this.
  6. Lodestar The Undefeated

Memory.ini is where quickness of textures loading can be adjusted.
    • TextureLoadsPerFrame at higher values will cause blank/gray textures to render faster, however hitching/stuttering increases significantly.
    • TextureLoadsPerFrame at lower values will cause blank/gray textures to render slower, however hitching/stuttering is vastly improved
    So until further enhancements happen, pick your poison. Decrease hitching at the cost of slower texture loading, or increase your hitching (stuttering) to see textures quicker.
    Metanis and Missiny like this.
  7. Windance Augur

The flip side of this is zoning seems to be faster than before. The difference is: rather than looking at the "loading screen" for an extra 5-10s , you get to see the game engine loading.
    AfridKanne and Cairbrae like this.
  8. Garadgari Journeyman

Every time I zone my Mercenary's' heath drops to 73%.
  9. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

So to get it back where it was, I would have to twink those two areas in the Memory.ini ?

It seems they don't have a fix for this, and DX11 is too much for the current Developers to deal with, It took so long to put out a patch, now they put in this memory.ini nerf they were talking about in bug threads causing us to load the game slower? Shouldn't this be an option for older systems?
  10. Scila Augur

I'm back with the white out. It's not a new thing. This onion getting stinky peeling back things that used to be resolved now popping back up again to fix something else.

Here's my response to all the bandaid fixes to our ini or comp ... reminds me of a co-worker whose fix for everything, and I do mean everything, was two things. Reboot ... /flush dns ... no clue how to fix or repair/replace a faulty anything in a machine/app etc. They eventually got moved to a non-technical spot.

Not to sound negative to those that are working behind the scenes to fix it, but this is February and alot of this has been talked about in forums since beta. I do understand spaghetti code is complex and there are a mountain of machine types, but basics are basics. What caused the white out to begin with? What resolved it? Why is it back with what was recently done? There should be a record somewhere to start with to connect the dots on some of this.
  11. Velisaris_MS Augur

I think two things are probably at play here:

1) Someone up the chain is telling them to release things, working or not, to adhere to some arbitrary, made-up schedule that doesn't mean anything.

2) All the people who knew anything about anything (code-wise) have all gone, and the remaining devs are literally just throwing spaghetti at the wall and hoping like hell something sticks.
    Jedipokey, AfridKanne, Derek and 3 others like this.
  12. Jedipokey The Devs have become better at Apathy! (380)

I think it is a mix of both options
    Derek and Veteran_BetaTester like this.
  13. Scila Augur

It's also not archiving off old problem records/documentation never to be looked at because "yeah that'll never happen again" into oblivion.
  14. fransisco Augur

Don't forget:
    3) competitions to make the most players suffer. Winner gets free candybars on thursdays.

EQ is probably one of the most difficult games to code for in existance. There is a reason modern games choose NOT to support old hardware. EQ needs to support 100x the crappy old 3rd party hardware than any modern game does. They can all be configured in wonky/bad ways. Part of the reason AAA games work well is they refuse to touch the wide range of hardware EQ has to deal with. They just tell you to buy a new computer instead.

NO amount of testing can make something like dx11 release flawlessly. Just give it a couple months while they work through the problems. Approaching it with patients, and the big issues will be fixed. Being angry serves no purpose except to reinforce why devs don't communicate. The forums are nothing but weapons to attack them, by a player base incapable of being happy.
  15. Velisaris_MS Augur

But more/better communication with the players (like posting things HERE as opposed to only posting on Discord) would probably cut down on some of that anger.

That's why most of us are angry...because they don't say anything, eventhough they always promise to communicate better.
    Derek, Windance and Fanra like this.
  16. Angahran Augur

Reward for The Emberclaw Sisters went from giving roughly 36 AA, to giving 2 AA.
    No mention of this nerf in the patch notes but apparently this is "Not a bug" :(
    Fenthen likes this.
  17. fransisco Augur

That might have worked 20 years ago. But post after post is about how the devs are terrible people, how they hate the players, how they are purposely doing these terrible things.
    Its been that way for years. If a dev responds, the thread always turns into a crap fest of angry people.

Why would they subject themselves to this? The devs don't get paid to deal with all this rage, anger, and slander. They are people doing a job. Its not "our right" to spew constant hate and anger at them. Any helpful communication is met with angry people. ALWAYS. EQ has one of the worst player bases.
    Kyzvs, Elenderil and Metanis like this.
  18. Knifen Augur

Id be fine with how they do some of the patch notes release.

Make their post and just have it locked right after, so they are passing info on just not taking suggestions. Better than a surprise imo
  19. Jack Elder

People like Angelinana could also link to relevant discord information. This would at least give people an avenue to see stuff has been addressed. I know I already have a lot of discord servers I'm in and adding more just to see if something on the forums was answered there sounds like a nightmare.
    Ndaara and Fanra like this.
  20. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Do you know the exact changes that I can revert back to by chance? :)