Resetting my EQCLIENT.INI file for today's patch!

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Metanis, Feb 21, 2024.

1. Metanis Bad Company

I use per-character virtualized eqclient.ini files. I've saved a copy of all of them including the base game eqclient.ini file.

In all those files I've put everything back to my defaults from last November before the LI release.

After today's patch I'll compare the current settings in eqclient.ini and memory.ini with the copies I saved. Then I'll play the game and see if Cair's new changes work on my system. Then I can tweak based on the new baseline and from what I can learn in the inevitable forum posts here.

If people don't accept the new patch settings it will really complicate the Devs work in trying to overcome the various DX11 problems as there will be dozens of unique client configurations muddying the water.

Start with a fresh baseline!
    Cairbrae likes this.
  2. FYAD Augur

If the code worked right, it wouldn't matter what was in the client's ini files. Ini files are only there to store your settings, not fix bad code.
    Herf and Fenthen like this.
  3. Rylak Elder

That's an extremely short-sighted take. This is a 25-year old game, spanning across 6 major OS upgrades (at least), multiple DirectX upgrades,and literally thousands of user CPU/GPU/Motherboard combinations. You can probably count on on a couple hands the amount of games that fall under that category, in comparison to the millions of games that come and go over just 1 hardware / OS cycle.

But keep on living in dream land. You should be happy there are some great people posting on these forums that are going to the absolute depths of these configuration files to understand them and help the rest of us. To expect that this gets solved with the wave of a wand by a dev, and/or troubleshot on a test server no one plays on.....good one :).
  4. JetZeppelin2h Augur

This is true. I deal with this type of thing all the time. When doing updates for my own software I make sure to test and make sure any setting is forced to go back to default if the current setting no longer works or make sure it is backwards compatible.

Either the setting in EQ files should be reset to default if the current saved setting will no longer work anymore or it should still function fine. If there is an issue with new code then there is a bug and it wasn't done correctly.
  5. Soulbanshee Augur

6. MachoSod Lorekeeper

For those of us that made the manual changes to the memory.ini file per one of the developers recommendations, (it was the memory512.ini creation), do I need to change the client.ini to direct back to the regular memory.ini? I'll try to find the post.

Edit: Found it:
  7. Metanis Bad Company

We don't know yet what settings will be changed by the patch.
  8. MachoSod Lorekeeper

Got the update. Yes you do need to make a change or can choose to keep the modified one:

9. Cairbrae Developer

Well the truth is that Memory.ini is a tuning feature that enables each client to configure its graphics memory usage without the need for shipping a new executable. This feature was introduced in 2009 to enable the client to be adaptable to a wide range of systems, but it has received little fanfare or attention over the years.
    Dre., Fuelforfire, Metanis and 2 others like this.
  10. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

I have a feeling, like a UI file.. messing with it (a UI file) messes with players ability to play without countless searching for player fixes on various threads.
    Here, since DX11 roll out, I see comments here and there about memory ect that developers mention... it gets confusing.
    I haven't touched anything in my files for this temporary beta fixing.

Randomly searching and seeing occasionally comments from developers on memory ect suggestions to me as this thread " Resetting my EQCLIENT.INI for today's patch!" seems to be experimental and not proper fixing.

I'm lost! I don't want to know what the heck you guys are on about because when I knew that when a patch comes you have to reset your eqclient.ini, I was uninterested to spend time searching.

Respectively speaking that is! Also, I am thankful the team is working on ideas.. and maybe after today's patch their maybe a fix for issues.
    It has been quite sometime to prepare for this DX11 input (Before it went live). There is Test Server. There is internal testing.

For us to be doing these memory adjustments for fixes on DX11 issues ... .it's not fair.

Anyway, now that this DX11 stuff is out.. It would be nice to have a developer create a thread to say, here is what we have played around with sofar.. or, just put out the fix. . . not just sparatic input here and there (in different threads) about suggestions.
    Silvena likes this.
  11. lagkills Slain by Fippy while guards stood and watched.

I don't know what they did but the hitching is gone and game is smooth again. AA still not supported!
    or maybe barely anyone logged in atm lol
  12. Jedis Arch Mage

There is only so many hardware configurations that can be tested internally and on Test server.

And as you mention, most players are not technically inclined, so expecting the people playing on Test server (for free, I might add), to be the primary source of shaking out a wide variety of client configurations and issues, is kinda wishful thinking. There are helpful people that /testcopy from Live, but they are not playing there as their primary server and conducting guild raids in most cases.

Is the rollout perfect? No. I don't think you'll find anyone disputing that fact.
    Is progress being made? Yes. Maybe not to some folks expectations, but it is getting better with every patch.

For those that are technically inclined, they are contributing to testing and providing useful tweaks in the various threads. It was wishful thinking on anyone's part to expect this DX update to go off without a few bumps and bruises along the way. It's long been neglected and DPG recognized to keep the game sustainable and around, they needed to make the (painful) investment now. There's a reason it hasn't been touched in over a decade, and we're seeing that for ourselves now.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Nennius like this.
  13. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Add to that, the vast majority of people started threatening to quit, cancel subscriptions, and the like the moment the expansion went live. They couldn't even be bothered to wait a single update cycle before saying the sky was falling.
  14. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Playing on Test you are a subject for the developers to get input without your /bug reports.

I think taking so long on a comment on the topic pissed off people as well. There was just no word, no fix.. no patch.. nothing.. You have to dig into comments to find a dev comment.