Make EQ Open Source

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Venuhm, Feb 20, 2024.

1. Venuhm Journeyman

in 2003 a new operation system was created called "Android". in 2005 Google would buy Android and indented to use it as their new mobile operation system. This new system was Open Source. In 2008 the first commercial device was launched. The HTC G1. With in days, it was Rooted and Superuser access was gained. (Like Admin access for Windows)

If you have a Android or iPhone today (99% of you) most of the features, you use didn't come from Google and Apple. They came from 3rd party Devs. Swipe down from the top to turn on Wifi or Airplane mode? that was on the G1 a few months after launch. Google introduced it in 2012 and IOS got it in 2013 with a more robust version like Android had in 2017.

What's the point of all of this? The massive, combined force of Google and Apple couldn't keep up with a strong community and some kids messing around on the weekend. Who consistently outpaced their entire development team.

If the DPG team would just open the door to all the of 3rd party Devs that know this game, you 100% would have a better product. Maybe not full Open source, by invite only or something. But its blatantly obvious the current EQ Dev team is struggling. Updates are coming slower. Fixes are not fixes at all but keep breaking the game.

Its nothing new for a game to announce something "new" and it doesn't work or never comes. But i truly believe the Devs at EQ want this stuff to work. I think they want Persona to work. They want less lag. They want sharks to stay in the water! We all want that, so let us help you! Open the door!
    Metanis likes this.
  2. uberkingkong Augur

This game?
    I don't think this game would benefit open source.

Now Palworld, definitely content creaters would make a huge difference, even bigger hit of a game.

EQ though have you seen the VR, that person needs to open source if not already and people expand on that, not this game, this game is too old, outdated.

More quests, more missions more raids more zones, aint gonna do anything really, just more time wasters.
    Game needs more fun stuff, not more time wasters.

You know what, Palworld is just 1 massive zone, well the zone is like a region in EQ. Anyways, see that VR video, if they just that region and did stuff to it like open source and added stuff, quests and what not, quests and what not would be fun in that. That person already has the fun stuff, the modern stuff, can do more though, but there is enough.

This EQ now, just not enough fun stuff, more quests more zones missions, raids, etc. Not as appealing more. Wheres the new features, wheres the fun stuff.
    Why is follow still bad, why is movement still bad as in jump, just jump and feel it. Theres no sliding, theres no gliding, etc.
    Solaar Esten likes this.
  3. Metanis Bad Company

I've wrestled with this same Open Source thought for years. I just don't see how DBG can maintain a profitable business model while opening up the game to outside developers. They don't have any locked "value add" to offer once anyone can spin up a server.

Unless DBG died and the codebase somehow found itself in the wild... now that would be interesting.
  4. Venuhm Journeyman

yeah, thats why by invite only might be an idea. give some outside devs access. Keep control but get the input/Code fix's. pure voluntary basis and DBG maintains full control.

I mean, the current Devs are having one heck of a time getting very basic stuff done. maybe a round table of veted 3rd party Devs and they get limited access to code the current team is having a hard time with. something to stop the bleeding! like, they could issues a temp login token to a person that allows them to log in to Test and run thru some issues with Code access. i dont know. just a dream!
  5. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

They would still need to pay those developers or whomever their contracting firm is which would pay them.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  6. Angahran Augur

So you want the game ruined by out of control automation, script kiddies and bots?

If you want that then feel free to go to any of the 'emulation' servers.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Kaenneth like this.
  7. Act of Valor The Newest Member

The emulation servers like P99 have way, way, way less cheating than official live EQ servers.
    Bobokin, Xanathol and JeffHanson like this.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

They also have a much smaller player base and can ban players with little to support the ban unlike what Daybreak can do with the paid services.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and alanus like this.
  9. CdeezNotes Augur

They can also ban people to feed their ego.
  10. alanus Augur

If EQ were made open source the cheating would get far worse
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Kaenneth like this.
  11. JeffHanson Augur

That happened a long time ago.
  12. Stymie Pendragon

I think that sometimes people forget, or overlook, the fact that this is a publicly traded company.
  13. Venuhm Journeyman

I said that where? oh that's right, i didn't. I mention 3rd party Devs because they already have knowledge of the game and how it functions.

not sure why that matters. My choice of words is wrong i think though. Code sharing? Google, Facebook, Nivida, Amazon and 100s more of publicly traded companies have a Github for Code debugging
    no?

non the less. the amount of ,GERR i r mad at the world and must comment something negative is laughably painful. you can lock this thread. im over it
  14. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

How many games in active development by a company are opened source? The only one I could find was GTA 5 which happened a year after the code was released by hackers.
  15. FYAD Augur

You don't want open source, you want an API and add-on platform that allows the community to create and distribute mods for anyone to use. Basically what WoW did very early on.
  16. Cassiera MOAR DoTs

Orrrrr FV on a Tuesday
  17. Angahran Augur

I'd love to see the data you are basing that statement on.
  18. Act of Valor The Newest Member

No data, just personal experience playing both there and on live. Many hours spent on P99 and I never ran into anyone I'd suspect was cheating. I'm sure it exists, but it is very seldom and subtle. Unlike on live where you can't help but trip over krono farmer afk bot groups. I'm not trying to tell anyone where to play, it's just my own long observation of both environments.
  19. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

One data point does not a statistic make.

Making broad assumptions based on limited data is generally a very bad practice.

I do see automated groups from time to time on Live. I take a video, report them with a link to the video via petition/ticket. Most of them disappear within a few hours. It's magic! :)
  20. JetZeppelin2h Augur

That isn't how it works. I think if they made it open source it could get worst for a short while because the hackers would have full access to the code to see what they could exploit. However, the way open source works is everyone would know those flaws and people would fix them instead of just leaving them alone.

I get the feel you think people would add flaws to the game on purpose if it was open source but that isn't how it works.

Unlike fully open source software if they allowed people like myself who are software engineers work on it we could find and make patches to fix things like bugs, flaws that allow hacks, etc and then we would submit a fix and other open source devs would need to approve these changes. Once they are approved by the random devs it would be submitted to DPG and they would give the final approval for the fix to go live.

They could also limit which code people have access to so it isn't like someone is going to take the time and setup their own EQ game servers and everyone would jump to it even if it was free. There is a possibility of it but limiting certain pieces could stop someone from making a full exact copy while also allowing players like myself to fix bugs we see in the game.

Heck if you want to pay us give us DB Cash or krono based on how many fixes we make. I would even be cool with maybe some special new artifact type items being created and given to devs who help make the game better.