Enchanter Moloing Possibilty

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Sieya_Mizuno, Feb 19, 2024.

1. Sieya_Mizuno New Member

I've been away for a while and have started playing again recently and wanted to know if it is possible to Molo with an enchanter without charming. I know it won't be the most efficient experience but I find charming mobs very dangerous for myself and haven't been very good at it in the past. Right now at level 64 I seem to be doing ok with a tank merc but I know that this is around the time they start to become pretty useless, would my own buffs be enough to keep them alive an viable for close to level content or should I invest in pet AAs and switch to a cleric merc before spending any of the mercenary points I have accumulated.
  2. fransisco Augur

you're REALLY handicapping yourself by not charming. Enchanters at that level range have less dps than an afk cleric.
    I don't know how much the dot revamp helped, but when I was 60s-90ish, chanter dps was REALLY bad.
  3. Tatanka Joe Schmo

You mention you are level 64. Get to 70 ASAP, and then look into the Dire Charm AAs:

https://www.raidloot.com/aa?name=dire charm&effect=&class=Enchanter&level=&tab=Class&exp=

Once you get at least rank 2, Dire Charm will charm a mob without a chance for the charm to break for several minutes. Takes some of the risk of charming away, for chanters. Granted, it's once every 2 hours, but it's something.

A better approach would be to pair up/group/box with a snaring class, and then swarm charm. It's MUCH better XP than regular charming, and with the mobs snared, your risk is reduced a LOT.
  4. fransisco Augur

Reverse charming is better than any duo can dream to.
    Charm a mob, attack another (make sure to do 1 damage to the attacked mob). When your charm pet is almost dead, clicky invis to break charm and charm the other one. Now kill the almost dead one. rinse and repeat.
    Its risky until you get good at it, but really fast killing.
  5. Sieya_Mizuno New Member

So levelling Enchanter without charming is impossible is what I am guessing here.
  6. fransisco Augur

Not sure where you are getting that idea. Enchanters have alot of odd tools and abilities, so they don't play the boring facetank method that some melee do. Thats what makes enchanters fun, they are very different. Charm is the fastest way, but not the only way. Not sure why you are excluding charm. Thats like leveling a mage without pets. You are taking away their most powerful tool.

They are not the highest dps class out there, but learning to use all your tools solo is what makes you a good enchanter. Most players don't even understand what an enchanter can do. Its funny watching groups fail fail fail on missions and stuff, yet beating them first time with no raid gear cause we have an enchanter. They are a very powerful class. Just not a favored one because they don't box well, and don't fit into the melee box meta.
  7. Sieya_Mizuno New Member

The problem I have had with charming in the past is that inevitably the charm breaks and I am immediately mowed down by whatever I had charmed. This is just a me problem and I know that charming is the most efficient way of levelling but I am perfectly happy with a slower but safer option for myself.
  8. fransisco Augur

somewhere around 70? chanters get direct banishment aa. Pushes a mob back and roots.
    As well, charm kiting can involve keeping mobs rooted for saftey too
  9. Cidran Augur

It isn't fast or optimal, but it is possible... Anything is possible in EQ today as long as you have the time and will for it. You'll have to be patient until 85, from there /overseer will help you on the way to level cap.

For safe/lazy mode, staying at older expansions is your best bet. Enchanter's animation isn't durable, neither it deals good damage... But everything helps. Also, it can taunt mobs, which provides a distraction so your casts don't get interrupted as often.

You have to keep a cleric merc on reactive stance to ensure it survives. Gear and buffs help quite a bit. Still, it's not able to manage aggro well so you must be ready to take hits yourself too.

For the same playstyle, a Magician performs much better in comparison. But if you like Enchanter, for whatever reason, go for it ;)
    fransisco likes this.
  10. Gialana Augur

I'm not sure if it would work, but you could also try stunning with a tank or dps merc. The mob won't be stunned 100% of the time, but it might be enough for the mercenary to regenerate enough hitpoints. However, I expect this won't work for very many levels because the mob's will start to hit much harder than the per/tick hp regeneration of the mercenary. You'll also have to use the PBAE stuns until level 74. Until level 74, the stuns will also only work on npcs 1 or 2 levels higher than the level you acquire the spell.

For charming, as long as you work in wide open areas, you can root the npc your charmed pet is fighting and move close to max casting distance. Keep whichever regeant-free runes on yourself that are available. Tell your pet to guard so it won't follow you and get too close when it's not fighting an npc. If charm breaks mid-fight, you should at least have enough time to re-tash it and start re-charming it. If the cast is interrupted, cast your PBAE mez. That should give you enough time to re-charm it. Once you get access to the directed banishment AA, that's usually better than AE mezz because the root lasts longer than 6 seconds but not too much longer. Eventually, you'll also get a defensive mezz proc that you can keep on yourself. After your charm breaks, it will be mezzed for a short time after it starts to hit you.

Lastly, you can try root rotting, but it will be very slow, I think.
  11. Ismel Augur

You should be fine moloing you may have to target some weaker mobs, be sure to debuff them, and maybe look for some cheap/summoned gear for the pet, at a minimum 2 1hand weapons, I used Napaea daggers as they stack so it was easy to carry around some stacks and not run out of weapons.

at level 74 you get a nice single target stun and chaining that + nuking during recast is very easy and safe, not fast by any means but very low risk.

if you feel up for trying charming again I very much recommend the pit in Plane of Tactics simply stand right by the exit tash and mez the nearst mob charm it hasts it and send it of to attack the nearest mob root and tash that, if charm break simply zone out and run back, it will kill 1one 2 mobs np and if the mob you have charmed gets below 5% invis and nuke it for a free kill and charm the rooted mob key is just zone if anything looks risky.
  12. fransisco Augur

You could consider pulling with tash (unresistable) and immediatly using beguilers banishment AA to push them back and root them. Then you can do as you like (charm, dot, ect).
  13. Vumad Cape Wearer

Boxing a mage would be a much more enjoyable experience.
  14. Eaedyilye More stonehive bixies.

I box 4 mages and an enchanter, works very well.