Firiona Vie server ruleset 2024

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Orablast, Feb 12, 2024.

1. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

In the Autumn, a couple months before the new expansion releases, they usually have a sale on the current one. If you're not max level yet for the expansions you have access to for free (115 now, will increase to 120 in the Summer when the next expansion goes to F2P) and there isn't a specific feature in the expansion usable by all, it's much better to wait until it goes on sale.

If you're still not level 120 when Laurian Song goes on sale and still don't want personas, you can wait until Nov/Dec to see if there is a feature in the next expansion you really want or wait until it goes on sale in next Autumn :)

In short, unless you're a level for the content in the expansion or there is a really cool new feature (like Tradeskill Depot in last year's Night of Shadows) or you want some of the other bits in the CE or PE bundles like mounts or bags, you can wait. As CatsPaws noted, you get all the previous expansions when you by an expansion BUT the special feature unlock (like Personas, Tradeskill Depot, Teleportation keyring, etc) is only part of the expansion purchase when it is current. Otherwise, you can purchase the unlock separately in the Marketplace usually in the Services category.
    Orablast and CatsPaws like this.
  2. Goranothos Augur

Glad you and your wife are having fun!

You gonna do your epic 1.0s?
    Orablast likes this.
  3. Orablast Elder

Thank you!

We'll probably work on that at some point for achievements, but if i remember correctly, the level 61 air pet blows the epic 1.0 pet out of the water. Our main goal is to hit 61 right now and start exploring PoP. We also would like to start working on our house soon :)
    Rijacki likes this.
  4. Schadenfreude Augur

You'll want to grab a Cleric merc each even if you don't end up using both all the time. It can stay suspended unless needed at no cost.
    Rijacki and Orablast like this.
  5. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Completing the goal of the epics isn't always about the value of the item. They're incredible quests on their own. AND, you get get an ornament of the item by doing the follow on Epic Request quest (https://everquest.allakhazam.com/search.html?q=an epic request).

Housing in EQ is a fun side endeavor that many of us enjoy. Nearly all weapon slot (primary, secondary, range) items can be placed. Weapon ornaments first need to be slotted into an applicable weapon (can be a cheap-o rusty) before they can be placed. When you get into the 90s, Veil of Alaris has some drop items and quest rewards that are placeable. When you get past there, the zones of three expansions (Rain of Fear, Call of the Forsaken, and The Darkened Sea) have house item rewards for collection quests. Other than that, there are some crafted items and other plat bought items with other items only for DB coin. If you want to see the crafted items which are the same in different texture patterns to bought, check out the plot near the big pavilion near the gate in the Cedar Country Meadows neighbourhood on FV. I also usually have a trader in the bazaar, Natubu, who has the collection quest rewards on sale. And, I have a little blogging on the housing stuff: https://rijacki-game.blogspot.com/search/label/house items
    Goranothos, Orablast and Nennius like this.
  6. Orablast Elder

Thank you Rijacki for the update! I agree that the epic quests are definitely worth doing and we do plan on working on it at some point. I didn't know we could make them into ornaments, that sounds awesome! I remember some of the planes being very difficult and I wasn't sure if we can handle them yet. The housing system sounds like a lot fun, plus my wife is very excited about decorating, so thank you for the tips! We'll be paying your trader at visit at some point I'm sure :)
    Rijacki likes this.
  7. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

There are several plots open in our neighbourhood, too, if you're looking for a place to buy a plot. If you need help with how to manipulate the decorating UI, give a hollar. Every game that has player housing has a completely different take on the UI to do so. I've played several. The EQ system gets easier the more you use it.
    Orablast likes this.
  8. Monkeychunks Augur

This is a very lengthy post I copied from another site. I would give credit to the player that made it but she does not want to be affiliated here. It has combined many of write ups about housing into one easy to read content.

Seems like everyone wants to set up houses lately! So I thought I would post this beginning guide on how to get started. Remember there are a lot of ins and outs so not everything will get covered yet. This is just the basics and is based on you already being in a guild and putting your house in that guild neighborhood. It would be slightly different if your not in a guild or if your making a custom guild hall. Sorry its so long.

First find the neighborhood zone called Sunrise Hills. This is down the north side area of the Lobby (to the left when your facing the Magus and past the bill boards) and looks like a big gate. Left click on the gate and a window pops up listing all the hoods. So scroll down the list until you find your guild name. Click it and up the top click the green "go" This will port you into your guild's hood. If you are not in a guild then scroll until you find one that does not have a guild name by it and those are usually open hoods anyone can use.

First thing is to find a plot you like. This is the land you will be putting your house on. You can bring up your map to see the sections, or just wander around until you find one you like. At each plot there is a corner stone. Left click that and a window pops up telling you which guild neighborhood your in, who if anyone already owns that plot and if its for sale then how much it costs to buy it (one time cost) and the upkeep. You will always pay lot rent/upkeep. Unless you own one of the special houses, like Bixie or the Ship, Tree etc. They erase all rent charges on the land. Make sure you pay some rent for a few days at least so you can place your house.

If you buy any of the houses listed on the Loyalty Merchants or from the Marketplace they will not charge additional rent. Loyalty merchant only has Manors and these are the best as they hold 500/300. The ones in the marketplace are ok but only hold 300 but are rent free. The ones from the NPC in Sunrise Hills, in the hut, will charge rent. But sometimes it the only way you can go. Do not bother with any of the one room houses on the merchant named Indy or the little hut you can get thru the quest - they are just too small. Right next to him is Ragthar who sells Domiciles that hold 500/300 - good size like the loyalty ones but will charge rent. You will see many variations in stone, wood, plaster etc. None of that matters as its just the look. You will also see residences, huts, houses but those do not hold as much as the Domiciles.

So take your house, go to your rent paid up plot, stand in the middle holding your house on your cursor till it turns green. When its green then you can drop it and you have placed your house!!!

To place stuff like swords on the walls, or beds, chairs etc like that you will need to go into the house, hold the item on your cursor and move it around till its green then let go. If your placing trees or fountains, pets etc outside then just stand on your plot holding the item until it turns green then drop it.

There is a window that will pop up when placing your house and the placeable items that will show you how to fine tune your placements.

If you want to use the house to store matts then you do not need to enter the house. Stand on the plot, click shift i or go to eq button then real estate then show items. There are a couple ways to get this screen up. The screen that pops up shows what is in your house. If you have something in your inventory you want to put in the house then left click the item, look at the bottom of the screen where "closet" lit up and click closet. That will put the item into the house .To take it out bring up the window, click the item in the window and click inventory on the bottom.

Tip for cheap upkeep. The loyalty merchant sells bags of doubloons for 11 loyalty tokens. Each bag holds 100 dubs. Each house/plot takes about 7 dub a week upkeep. You would need about 3 bags or 33 loyalty tokens for a years worth of dubs. You likely paid a bunch of plat up front when you bought the plot but thats ok - you can withdraw it and switch to dubs or whatever by clicking the little arrow in the escrow window.

You can also assign permissions for someone to enter or add etc to your house. EQ button, real estate, manage.

Finally don't worry about making a mistake or bad neighbors, you can always withdrawal all your rent, pack up your house and move. No realtor fees.
    Conelder, Rijacki and Orablast like this.
  9. Monkeychunks Augur

There was a player on the Zek server who made outstanding houses. After he passed away many of us would go to his houses and donate funds for escrow so the houses would always be there. If you want to see them then just make a level 1 character on ZEK and chose to "skip the tutorial" when your creating him and go to Sunrise Hills This post has all the address of the houses he made

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...-legend-armourcarr.294115/page-2#post-4273469
  10. Orablast Elder

Thank you Monkeychunks, this is great information! Sounds like the loyalty / doubloons is the way to go for us, because for some reason I have a lot on my account and I'm not even sure how they got there :) We're still decided on whether we should build a guild home or regular home. I read about placing anchors so that we can port back to our house, which sounds exciting!
  11. Orablast Elder

Wow, what an amazing community! It's great to hear how people come together to honor his memory, but also sad to hear about his passing. I'll definitely go check them out and pay my respects. Thank you for this.
    Rijacki likes this.
  12. Monkeychunks Augur

If your using an old account then you have max of like 5760. And your earning 120/week! Lots of goodies to buy.

And that player also did a write up on buying a guild hall and neighborhood that might help you decide which way to go.
    Orablast likes this.
  13. Monkeychunks Augur

It too is lengthy lol but it was really helpful to me and a bunch of other players on her server to help us straighten it all out.

Custom Guild Halls are great for everyone. Here's some basic info to help you get started

When you face the Magus in the lobby the door on the right is to the standard game guild hall. You can be in any guild (even the game provided guild) and get into this. There is no customization like hanging swords or special ports. Its pretty bland. But some guilds only need the port or bank feature anyway so its perfect for them. Nothing to buy, no rent to pay and you can create your guild with 1 person and use it. But to do these other custom guild halls you will need 10 alts, dogs, ex wives or whatever in your guild. And keep at least 10 players on the roster.

On the left of the magus is the door to special guild halls. You can only use this if your guild or someone in your guild has purchased a guild hall and placed it either in an "open" neighborhood or the guild's neighborhood. You can also still use the one on the right but none of your customizations will be there.

Down the corridor a little more to the left is the neighborhood gate where you can also access your guild hall but it won't be a straight zone into it like the door above, you'll have to run to where it was placed.

You can place your custom guild hall in your own neighborhood or find an open neighborhood with an open guild plot and put it there. To find an open neighborhood click the gate and look at the list of neighborhoods and just to the right you will see the guild names there. If a neighborhood does not have a guild name then it is "game produced" and anyone can put a house or guild there. Each hood has room for 4 guild halls so keep looking to the right under the far right column that says "used" (the second used column ) and that shows how many other guild halls are placed in there.

If you want to have your own neighborhood you will need a "writ" and this can only be purchased from the marketplace - $17.00 or its on sale right now for $14.00. More on this in a minute. The writ will create a neighborhood in your guild's name that will then appear on the list at the gate.

You can either buy your hall thru the marketplace or an NPC.

If you buy one from the NPC then you cannot buy the "writ" with it but would have to buy that separate from the marketplace.

Tanya Bekines is an NPC by the hut where you zone into the Sunrise Hills. She sells either a Standard Guild Hall which holds 1000 placeable items for 19 plat. Looks nice on the outside and from what I understand it is just like the standard one on the right hand door except you can customize it. Very small. Or the other one she sells is the Modest for 1,068 plat and you can place 1500 items it it. Placeable means stuff like statues, pets roaming around, tables, swords on the walls etc. But the guild halls themselves hold about 2000 total items.

If you go thru the marketplace you can buy the Grand Guild Hall with or without a writ with it. This one is about the right size to decorate, gather some friends etc and has a small dungeon. And the other one is the Palatial Guild Hall with or without a writ. This one is huge. Best for large guilds. You will get lost. Has a large dungeon too.

Even though there are 4 guild plots in every neighborhood you/your guild can only use one and guild plots are the only place you can put a guild hall. They cannot go in a house plot. The other open guild plots are for open neighborhoods and are often full with 4 different guilds using them

This is a list of some open versions of the guild halls on FV so you can go look and get an idea of how big they are.

Ab Inferno Village a Modest is at 200 Brimming Way
    Allegiance Village, has a Grand at 200 Brimming Way
    and Emerald Alliance reborn at 200 Brimming Way has an open Palatial.

I did not find a standard one, but its just like the standard one off the lobby.

Don't forget to go to manage - escrow and put some dubloon in there for upkeep. Nothing is worse than using your anchor to get back the hall and its out of rent!!

The guild hall belongs to the guild - not the person who bought it. All guild halls come with a supply of tradeskill things like an oven, pottery wheel etc, guild banker, personal banker, the port guy etc. They do not come with a Parcel NPC so you can pick up one of those for 1 plat from Tanya. Also pick up a couple of "Doors to nowhere". These you can place on your walls in the halls, right click and it will port you straight into the lobby. You can buy more of the guild NPC if you want but not much reason to.

When you buy your guild hall it will go into your reward window. Be at your bank or standing in your plot and have at least 4 slots open in your inventory. It is heavy and when you open it you will not be able to move much. If you bought the package it will show the writ and the guild pack. Don't try to collect just the writ because it will put it all in your inventory. However the guild pack will put 3 or 4 more heavy packs in your inventory. It can be frustrating. I go buy the guild plot I want, pay some upkeep and stand in the middle and then collect the reward. That way I can place the hall and lighten the load a little. But all those NPC weight a lot too.

Hope this helps!
    Orablast likes this.
  14. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

I suggest starting with a house on a plot to get your feet wet. You can always get a guild hall later after you look around to see the 4 types. My preference is for the Grand, you can see what I did with one on FV (Cedar Country Meadows - Lux Aeternam), but most like to go for the biggest, the Palatial. If you do decide on a guild hall, you are more limited in places you can place it. There are only 4 guild plots in each neighbourhood and you might have to get a completely empty neighbourhood to have an open plot. But, you can easily move a house from one neighbourbood to another if you start in one and get a guild plot in a different one. You just need to save your layout before packing up and then, after unpacking, apply that layout on the new plot.
    Orablast likes this.
  15. OldTimeEQ1 Augur

So refreshing to see someone (Well two people) enjoying a return to EQ after many years.

I am almost tempted to make a shaman to play with them - my time zone is odd though sadly heh.
    Rijacki and Orablast like this.
  16. Marden_JM New Member

Forgive me for piggybacking on this thread, but it seems like as logical of a place as any to ask this.

I just hit 82 on my Shaman yesterday, and its the highest I've gotten a character in EQ.

My question is: what do FV players do for gear in the 80+ levels now that defiant stops being effective/available? I managed to make a piece of SoD Shaman Fategazer armor last night, but I can see that I will likely level faster than I'd ever complete a set.

Am I just browsing the bazaar for cheap upgrades as I go? Or is there a more effective route moving forward?

Edit/side note: I am really loving SoD. So much fun with the time travel theme - Leveling in Blackburrow again was a riot.
    Orablast likes this.
  17. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

The more effective route would be the amour pieces from the HoT zones to make class armor.You might find pre-made on the bazaar (FV) or the pieces to make the armor. The pieces come from the nameds (rare). You can find a list of each of the nameds in a zone by looking at the Hunter achievement for that zone. The collective "Novice" achievement are the teir 1 (T1) group zones.

A bit over a year ago, I started a blog post to keep track of the class armor bits and what they make with comparisons of a sort. I still haven't finished it for the highest levels, but it might help for where you are now: https://rijacki-game.blogspot.com/2022/11/armor-set-by-prefixsuffix-with.html (I'm also missing the SoD armor mostly because of the overlap with defiant/HoT).
    Orablast and Marden_JM like this.
  18. Marden_JM New Member

Thank you! I will start researching this tonight. All of these expansions are brand new to me, so the direction to focus on is appreciated.
  19. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

I am a returnee also. It took me a while to sort a lot of stuff out for the expansions that were released while I was away. I still learn new things, too.
    Orablast and Monkeychunks like this.
  20. Goranothos Augur

Actually, IIRC, the 61 air pet and the epic pet are roughly equal. Now when you get to the 66 air pet that's when the epic pet is left behind. Of course, you and your wife are leveling so fast, you will probably have the 66 air pet before you could quest the epic pet. Anyway, as mentioned earlier, it's just "fun" to do the epics, plus you can get the weapon ornament to make any weapon you equip have the graphic of the epic.
    Orablast likes this.