planetside sold?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Svann2, Feb 14, 2024.

1. Svann2 The Magnificent

2. Drink water New Member

Hopefully EG7/Daybreak were not a zombie company before the interest rank hike by the fed.
  3. Alnitak Augur

They were not. EG7 as a whole, and DPG in particular are profitable and sustainable.
    According to their 2023 report DPG made about $72mil revenue, or $272K per employee. Quite a business. Although it was about 9% YoYdecline
  4. Tatanka Joe Schmo

So, (not that I care, never played Planetside), does that mean All-Access no longer applies to that game?
  5. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

heh.. yeah was thinking the same thing.
  6. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

And where do the Kronos go if you played multiple games?
  7. Captain Video Augur

We don't know the status of Planetside 2. ATM it is operating as normal, there has been no official announcement from the company. Some gaming news outlets have chosen not to report anything yet, because what little that has been reported is unconfirmed speculation based on digging through tax filings.

What we DO know is that there have been at least a few layoffs in Austin, and it's more than just from the PS2 team. Mepps is gone (long-time CM for DCUO; he was once the CM for the Denver studio, when it still existed, so close to 15 years with the company going back to SOE). Apparently his last official task for DBG was that EQ survey thing, which may or may not have been completed. Everyone should take a deep breath and then sit back and wait for a company announcement, whatever that turns out to be.
    mercury890 likes this.
  8. Beardsy Elder

To be fair it was only Planetside 2, the first iteration of the game was infinitely better than this one(imo)

Now if they start messing with EQ1/EQ2 we're gonna have some dark days ahead of us. I'm hoping it's safe to assume that Everquest and its IP are safe, for now... It's still their biggest cash cow right?... Right?
  9. Strawberry Augur

Nope, EG7 and Daybreak are in a lot of trouble.

EG7 earnings have halved in the last year.
    EG7 share price is down -62,48% in the last year.

Daybreak earnings are down -25% and revenue is down -8.6% YoY. Daybreak was forced to sell Planetside's IP to increase liquidity. Although that will not be nearly enough, investors will put pressure on EG7 to drastically cut costs.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Fenthen likes this.
  10. Velisaris_MS Augur

Everything is ALWAYS for sale. If they think they can make one penny more by selling off a property rather than keeping it, they will.

The bottom line is all.
    mercury890 and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  11. fransisco Augur

it is concerning that they arent willing to accept a bad year. They must sell off the seed corn to make sure profits stay the same...
  12. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

My personal player studio royalties (from EQ1, EQ2, Planetside2) have been down about 10% for the past 3 quarters. After being pretty steady for 10+ years.

Just to throw another data point out there, for what it's worth.
    Wulfhere likes this.
  13. Fenthen aka Rath

You pretend as if they aren't actually here already.
  14. fransisco Augur

Selling eq isn't possible. Thats where most of the krono are. If eq was sold, the new company wouldn't want to honor krono. Thats an incredible amount of subscription time that the new company wouldn't get paid for. To sell eq, db would have to offer a significant discount to offset all the krono in the game.
    Which of course ignores how players would react to krono losing their value. Also, what if players just consumed all their krono before the sale, because they fear losing krono.
    Now you have accounts that won't have to pay to sub for a long time. The new company will be paying to support a game which might be making zero profit for a significant amount of time.
    Theres probably enough krono out there for all accounts to not pay a sub for at least a year. Thats a crazy liability.
  15. Captain Video Augur

There is no liability, because Krono's value is booked to DBG, not to any individual game. They can sell an IP (it appears they just did, even if it's not official yet), and no Krono goes with it. If they sell the other IPs, then there are empty servers left behind, and the value of Krono goes poof. A concept that the majority of Krono lords around here fails to understand.
  16. fransisco Augur

But what if all that krono were consumed? If we catch wind of eq being sold, everyone is gonna use every krono they can get their hands on.Those paid subscription times DO transfer to the new owner.

Also this is VERY concerning. Its hard to imagine a world where EQ doesn't suffer, even if its not part of the problem. Like all those devs that left last year? Are any gonna get replaced?
    Fenthen and mercury890 like this.
  17. Emilari UI Designer

There are 8 job postings for the San Diego office: several management/business positions, in addition to an RPG artist, a software engineer, a Creative Director for Darkpaw Games specifically, and a Game Designer for EverQuest specifically. I'd say they are looking to fill the positions that were lost over the summer.

There's also two positions in Austin and two positions in Washington.

https://www.daybreakgames.com/careers

In addition, the EG7 Q4 presentations and financial data indicated Darkpaw is slated to be releasing a new game of some sort in 2025.

While the sale of Planetside is worrying, I'd say EverQuest, considered to be a Core IP by the business, isn't going to be sold off in the next couple of years.
  18. uberkingkong Augur

I dislike the posting of the
    https://www.daybreakgames.com/careers?job=7030194002
    Game Designer I- EverQuest

Did HR person write that, what are they really looking for, I'd say from a designer standpoint looking at that, its not appealing.
    Working knowledge of Word, Excel, and other office software

Its not like we need people that can do Docker, people that can write C++, can do elastic, know how JSON works.

Nah this Word, Excel, baby stuff. Other software, that makes it sounds like they didn't do their homework, they don't know what they really want. So just Other Stuff.

I suppose its designer not developer, so making art? That title might be wrong.
    If its a quest making person, I'd say creative person.
    Designer is making the visuals
    Developer is making the stuff work
    Creative is making quests and stuff

If all you need is Word and Excel, idk that's not appealing. 58000 in California. idk.

• Become familiar with the design database, with a specific focus on NPCs and quests
    • Become familiar with mapping, pathing, and populating a zone
    what database, excel word theres no database, its like mysql you should know what it is. No all they want is you to know Word and Excel and others.... others.
    People applying can't read your minds they don't know what others is.

mapping and pathing in what sense, knowing how the code works? You don't mention nothing about that.

Effective at managing your time appropriately and remain productive so most small tasks are completed in 1 - 3 days
    Might be a red flag, kinda gives a, this place might have issues time management if they have to explicity say, get your work done in 1-3 days, quit procrastinating.
    Are small tasks really small? Whats the deal the here.

HR can do better.

A lot of competition lately, especially wages, being paid fairly. I think I read something about 50 dollar an hour minimum wage, if that happens this 58000 job is gonna be minimum wage tuned. Because its less than minimum.

To attract people, if they gonna get minimum, they look for growth.
    I don't see much growth in getting better at
    Word, Excel, and others.

Now if they said, we do stuff HTML, markup language, css, javascript, contribute to the local repo of information, that sounds better. Oracle , Salesforce Org. Sounds way better than Word, Excel.
    I prefer notepad. I aint bringing up no Word. The only reason I'd go with Word is you can put pictures in it easily.

Notepad if they let you put pictures in it, that would be a big deal. That would hurt word a lot. I guess thats why we have Notepad then WordPad then Word.

Shoot word, prefer VSCODE over word. Download the extensions.
    That job description doesn't say know the basics vscode, do you know how to get terminal open at least?
  19. fransisco Augur

not concerned iwth eq being sold. More with it just withering due to decreased support/money
  20. uberkingkong Augur

This is why they should have, they need to do EQ3.

Its too much milking. When all the milk is gone now what. Should invested in a new game.

New games are breaking records. 2024 2023 2022 is about new games. Not expansions.

No one is excited for the WoW expansion the ESO expansion that other game expansion. They excited for new games. The next game in the series. A brand new game can be EQ3 whatever but not an expansion.

Too late if they in struggle mode and can't do stuff now. Too late, should have listened.
    New games new games new games.
    EQ3 when?
    Eq3 when?

We will talk about.
    No talk, been talking.
    Lets start get it rolling, if you considering it, your gut says to do it. Stars align for it.
    Why talk even more.
    Do it. Should been done a long time ago.
    EQ 1999 EQ2 2004. OLD OLD OLD
    20 years difference. And you think talking about it.
    This game isn't Runescape. This game isn't WoW. Its not considered being successful. Its hanging in there. Thats different than its seeing success. 49/140, thats a bit away from success. Your not close to it, its quite a bit aways. Hanging in there just like other games.

Expansions, new zones, another random story, isn't gonna cut it to break outta the 49/140 and go into success mode.

New game, simple, they be breaking records. Instead just watching others break records do something. 31th expansion aint gonna cut it. New zones. Doing the same over again. Expecting huge results.
    Nothing for newplayers and expecting influx of new players.

Keyring
    Tradeskill Depot
    Alternate Personas
    new players we got stuff for you!

Aint got any keys.
    Aint got enough materials
    Aint max level and needing an urge to go through the level process all over again.
    Nothing for us.

EQ3 though, ok. Hype! Tell me more. Show me more. Hype Hype.

Frustrating.