State of the Wizard

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Usti, Dec 28, 2023.

1. Slamg New Member

Oh come on o_O you are the game-wide wiz class leader!:p
  2. kizant Augur

I just play dumb. Hit burns as much as possible and cast a lot of immolation. :(
  3. Tatanka Joe Schmo

That's what made it so funny :)
    kizant likes this.
  4. Xandos New Member

CrazyLarth likes this.
  5. Cmaxx New Member

Xandos - thank you very much for your guide! It helped me immensely. Question though, you state, and I tend to agree:

"Spells NOT to use (this list is not exhaustive): Thricewoven Lunacy, Lure of the Cold Moon/Fyrthek, Tears of Night Fire, Cerebrumfreeze, Moonflame/Darkice Pillar, Leap of Levinsparks, Branched Lightning, Chaos Whirl, Lightning Maelstrom, Diabo Xi Fer’s Pyroblade, Tundra Ice Cascade, Volcanic Barrage, Hypothermic Torrent, The Diabo’s Fire."

In all my tests, these spells just dont matter. What I cannot figure out is why Darkpaw gives us these spells then. Surely they have a purpose. Anyone out there use spells like Kindleheart fire, or Glacial Ice Cascade?

I want to try to put them in my line up, but I cant find a reason to.

Thanks again for the great guide!
  6. Brickhaus Augur

Most of the spells you list have legacy reasons for being there. Sometimes those reasons have changed because the game changed so it just doesn't make sense anymore to use. Since we generally get a fire, magic, and cold version of lines ... it makes the bloat/non-use spells seem even worse than it is.

There's been recent talk about culling lines, which will be fine going forward ... but in the grand scheme of things, not matter much to wizards. About the only thing it will do will be to take us back to the warrior side of aas (until focus aas, wizards had one of the lowest aa totals ... and now those just take the place of glyphs and fireworks for the many unused lines we have).

Some folks are really gung-ho about this. Given how little time developers have, I think it's a waste of a precious resource cause doing ANYTHING other than the status quo is going to take time ... but I think I'm in the minority.

P.S. At least for Glacial Ice Cascade, the spell line is non-reflectable. So if you have a npc with a reflect buff, Glacial Ice Cascade will still get through. Used it a ton in Mearatas on one of the named that spawned in the center. I don't believe they've used that trick since TBL ... but you never know when they might bring it back.
  7. Szilent Augur

raid boss, Zelnithak
    Brickhaus likes this.
  8. fransisco Augur

I'd consider less AA to kinda be a good thing. If you're not already max, thats just less grinding to catch up. Plus once your max, grinding out all those AA isn't necessarily fun either.
    kizant likes this.
  9. Rooksmirk Journeyman

Topic : Wizard on TLP.
    Questions: 1/ With the release of Kunark at launch of the next TLP, will wizards still have most their spells resisted in plane of Hate, sky, etc ? That was very frustrating for me on Oakwynd.
    2/ If one were to box another char wizard, which class should it be ?
  10. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

On Mischief, I still saw complete resists in Sky during Kunark, though I saw fewer resists in Fear and Hate. As far as a second class, I'd say bard. You wouldn't reap the full benefits for a few expansions, but eventually you'd have access to the mana songs and the Rizlona line of songs.
    Rooksmirk likes this.