Constantly having to log into the forums.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Bilderov, Feb 8, 2024.

1. Bilderov Augur

Is there some timer that automatically logs you out of the forums?

I think I've had to log back in on an almost daily basis the past few weeks. On other forums I just stay logged in indefinitely.
  2. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I have to log in every time I close my browser window on the forums. I would guess it is the forum setting.
  3. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

As long as my Browser isn't closed, even if the tab for the forums is, I remain logged in.

If you're leaving your browser open (with other tabs), you might want to check your browser settings and/or you might have something else installed (a security package or domain policy) that times out logins.
  4. Bernel Augur

I have this problem just on mobile devices. My computer stays logged in forever, but my mobile devices have to relogin every day or every time the network changes. It's just the EQ forums that have this issue. All other websites stay logged in just fine. I'm guessing that EQ has a cookie expiration policy in their servers that is pretty aggressive. I'm guessing the policy is:

* Expire cookies on mobile OS every 24 hours
    * Require new login if the IP of the cookie changes

I don't necessarily mind having to relog, but I wish I didn't have to redo the captcha all the time.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I think this is what happens as I notice my login on mobile devices expires a lot quicker when traveling then when I am not.
  6. Bilderov Augur

I wish I could use the forums on my device, the text is so small it's practically unreadable. If I increase the size of, I have to keep scrolling across.

Maybe it's my old man eyes, but I don't think the forums are mobile-friendly.
    Nennius and Rijacki like this.
  7. fransisco Augur

Super annoying. Especially all the captcha BS. Bots have been proven to be better at captchas than people are. Which also ignores that captchas incorrectly label which boxes the objects are even in.
    All they do is generate friction to stop real people from logging in.
  8. Velisaris_MS Augur

As others have said, closing the browser will force you to log in again.

I've also noticed that any sort of disruption in my internet connection will also force me to log in again. If my DSL drops for even just a moment, I'll have to log in again...even with my browser still open AND sitting on a forum page.
  9. Svann2 The Magnificent

Thats the weirdest thing. Ive not seen this in any other website.. ever. Not even banking sites do this.
  10. Captain Video Augur

Oh yes they do. My bank uses 2FA just to login, and then times me out after five minutes without fail, I don't even have to close the browser tab. And I wouldn't have it any other way, since security is paramount in this day and age.
    Barraind, Nennius and Rijacki like this.
  11. Svann2 The Magnificent

Thats not the same thing. Yes other sites will time you out with no activity. They dont log you off if your browser closes, and eq forums dont log you out for no activity.
  12. Strawberry Augur

Well, to be fair, nothing is stopping you from learning some basic CSS so you can manipulate the look of sites.
  13. Bilderov Augur

I see where you're coming from. Maybe in 2004, but in 2024 there shouldn't be any large gaming forums that aren't mobile friendly.

Warcraft, Lord of the Rings Online, even Pantheon (which is most probably never being released) all have forums that are readable without having to learn CSS to make it better.

Chalk up another reason for answering no to the survey...
    fransisco and Kyzvs like this.
  14. fransisco Augur

forums really need a dislike button, and I am a front end dev
    Bilderov likes this.