EQ Survey Thoughts

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by KushallaFV, Feb 3, 2024.

1. Riou EQResource

Absor isn't in charge of EXP rates, he's also not the Lead Designer, nor has he ever been
    Yinla, Fenthen and Szilent like this.
  2. Velisaris_MS Augur

But he is the one who more often than other devs comes out and says variations of "the xp is too high, I'll have to adjust it." GMM being a prime example.
  3. Mesc No $$$ Until the Experience is put back on Mobs!!!

You are correct i made a mistake. He is not lead designer. All my other points still stand though. And he may not be the lead designer but he is the most senior Dev. And after over a decade still refuses to explain himself. And they wonder why people leave this game.
  4. Mesc No $$$ Until the Experience is put back on Mobs!!!

Nennius likes this.
  5. Mesc No $$$ Until the Experience is put back on Mobs!!!

Nennius likes this.
  6. Mesc No $$$ Until the Experience is put back on Mobs!!!

Wouldn't a Lead Content Director be over a Lead Designer?
  7. Bilderov Augur

I also work for a very large government company who do many surveys each year and almost everyone I work with will tell you that it's a pointless exercise that does nothing to improve our own day-to-day working environment. They're generally just finger in the air polls, or some high-level management / steering group asking what they could do to help us.

I would agree that you are correct in that efficiency is best for a survey. They are the best way to get an initial response. However, they only do just that - to go beyond that takes a conversation and surveys are the absolute worse for that as they simply take a point in time view and do not drill drown into any real detail.

Most people posting on here are looking for conversations, discussions, questions with answers etc. a survey cannot provide that.

As I said, if everyone responded with Yes or No, would it still be considered a successful survey?
  8. Riou EQResource

He is still one of the 2 assistant lead designers (only of the content half of design, aristo is the systems half), but there are at least 3 people above him, the actual lead (ngreth currently, prathun previously) sets the EXP and rewards, so if either thought the rewards were fine they would have just overruled any changes
  9. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Defining success is key to any project. Step 1 - what are we trying to accomplish? Step 2 - what does success look like?

The question I was responding to purported surveys are less efficient than dialogue. It was never about success. We weren't part of the planning process, how could any of us define the scope of it?

This thread is about the survey. Not about the obvious reason people are posting about it and everything they're unhappy with today, which seems to ebb and flows with the angry horde's mood.

Darkpaw is trying to give people a voice with the resources they have. It's pretty clear to me that many in this thread would rather finger-point than participate.
  10. Mesc No $$$ Until the Experience is put back on Mobs!!!

Or they just passively went along with him because it didn't matter to them.
  11. Bilderov Augur

Unfortunately, with the severely limited survey, they're giving people a hands-up (or not) at best. They're not responding to us and are not allowing any further questions.
    Bobokin likes this.
  12. Risiko Augur

o_O Hello... McFly! Ahem. Bigger picture folks...

This was posted on every game forum for every game that DBG publishes including DDO, LoTRO, DCU, Magic, and EQ.
    Rijacki and Nennius like this.
  13. Bilbo Backpackens Journeyman

EQ is the only game I play in their catalog. Thank you for sharing this, it's good to know the full story.

This reinforces my belief that the text box responses will be ignored.
  14. Stymie Pendragon

In my opinion, if they were actually interested in a survey of this single question it should’ve been a one time pop up in game with a decline button. The forum population, as well as those who also have a google account, aren’t representative of the game members as a whole.

Also, the timing was just bad, and it came off like being handed a note in homeroom asking, “Do you like me?” with a yes/no check box.

All in all I’m appreciative that they made the effort, but I think that they could’ve done better in the execution.
    Nennius likes this.
  15. Nennius Curmudgeon

Well put. In 23 plus years I have encountered a LOT of folks who don't even know there are forums. And the timing has me wondering as well. What with the DX11 issues, lag issues, etc. It could have been done a whole lot better.
    Bobokin and Stymie like this.
  16. Bobokin Augur

Glad they kept that survey up for a long time. :(

Did they want feedback or not?
    CrazyLarth likes this.
  17. Bobokin Augur

Certainly, many ex-players will not respond.

Everquest is dying a slow death, and it may hit the cliff soon.
  18. Angahran Augur

My feedback is stop focusing everything on TLP players.
    Like this 'Year of Darkpaw' - So far it looks like junk for low level players.
    There is nothing on the merchant that someone level 125 would want apart from possibly the mount.
    The charm is no use and neither are the type 9 augs that go in it.

Hoping maybe later in the year there will be stuff that's actually useful?
  19. Velisaris_MS Augur

Clearly, the feedback they WERE getting wasn't going the way they thought it was going to go.
    Bobokin likes this.
  20. Barraind Grumpy Old Bastage

By October/November, the charm with TBM augs (which is assuming there arent better augs added to the vendor in the next 8 months) will be on par with the NoS raid charms, and better than this level ranges chase charm.