Give us an Era Locked Server [OOW/DON]

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Xeris, Feb 4, 2024.

1. Shalom Quillmane Bane

Daybreak lets the p99's of the world do the era locking. They literally gave them their blessing.

The majority of the people who play TLPs want that classic grouping / leveling / item trading experience and then fall of by mid kunark. The rest of the server hangs on until PoP and then a huge decline from there.

Those that want to LIVE in Norrath play Live or p99
  2. CdeezNotes Augur

Who would benefit from this? Certainly not the business. That means a ton of new infrastructure requirements and all the costs associated with it. Free transfers means no additional revenue.
    Yinla, fransisco and Rijacki like this.
  3. NuffanTuit Nuffan Tuit on Innoruuk Server

Since the rule seems to be in stone for some odd reason that true box must remain until OoW I would prefer a Server that ends at OoW.

In 2024 True box seems fairly pointless to me. I see people running large bot crews on Oakwynd nothing is done about it. I who would rather play my two character on a single machine with a dual screen setup for simplicity sake. one mouse and one key board is a game changer.

A OoW server would make an Ideal server for any TLP to allow transfer to. A jump off spot for those who want to avoid the later EQ. So those who play the TLP cycles can PAY for a transfer at OoW launch (as long as they do so before the next expansion launch)
  4. Pickaname New Member

Can we please get an F in the chat for all the TLPs that thrive beyond PoP.
    Defenestrated Vase likes this.
  5. xxar Augur

That has more to do with the release cycle then the servers , look at the last "locked" server ... There asking for more expansions to be released.
    fransisco likes this.
  6. Pickaname New Member

The last and only locked server is almost 7 years old. "They're" only asking it to go up a notch and most would argue that a vote would be the right way to do it (and/or a new locked server).

So you think the only reason people drop off servers at Planes of Power is because a new TLP is released? You clearly have no clue how the EQ playerbase works.
  7. RaptorGesus Journeyman

If you have 2.0s done on multiple chars in 2 months then the lack of content is not your problem. It's your life balance and lack of touched grass. If you are putting that many hours into a game each day then no game in the world will offer enough content for you. Feeling like there is not enough to do doesn't actually mean there is not enough to do.
  8. CdeezNotes Augur

Some epics can be done in a few hours...? Quite a few can be completed in a few hours over a weekend.
  9. Xeris Augur

I mean, for you, maybe. For people who haven't done the quests before/casual players, no.
    Defenestrated Vase and Kaenneth like this.
  10. CdeezNotes Augur

So why does it give that person the right to attack someone and judging their work/life balance?

Just because that person can't do the quests quickly, it doesn't mean those who can are just neckbeards playing 24/7.

Personally, I did 3 2.0s in era taking a collective 20-25 hours? Over the course of 2 months that's what, couple hours a week at most?
  11. xxar Augur

That point being is it's still a locked server , regardless you will run out of content.
    That is what you asked for and now that it's happened , there's a issue ?

The age of the server is irrelevant , regardless you hit the server "cap" and platinum becomes useless , item progression ends ...

I just don't see the point of two locked servers , even more so when a large portion of the player base either already play's there or has no intention to play there.

I just see it splitting a small subset of player's even further and for what ? What do you gain, that is not already available on the current server? A new start ? That is in essence a server that is designed for rerolling and capping out.
  12. Xeris Augur

Well: there's lots not available on the current server, because its locked at LDON. Everyone who wants a TLP locked at OOW era isn't getting what they want out of the current server. And other TLP's won't give people what they want for reasons I already outlined in the OP. There's a big difference between playing on a normal TLP just to experience OOW and then quit, vs. having a locked TLP at OOW era.

If you don't understand that, that's fine. The only real argument against it imo is splitting player base and extra costs for adding more servers. My argument, generally, is that additional players would come to such a server, the people who play on the current locked server (Agnarr) are quite big spenders. Thus, a new locked server would bring big spenders, and new players. It might dilute some current servers; but ultimately, if the extra revenue > extra cost from having another server; I'm not sure why they wouldn't do it. Having such a server has 0 negative impact on anyone that wants a normal progressing TLP, so if an era locked server isn't your cup of tea, fine. What's the point in arguing with people who want that?

Are you trying to convince us our opinions are wrong? lol.
    Defenestrated Vase likes this.
  13. xxar Augur

No , everyone is entitled a opinion.

I just spelled out the why , from my perspective it didn't make sense.

I didn't flame you or anything believe it or not , not everyone is hostile on these forums and some of us want to see other people's perspectives.
  14. Bewts Augur

I'd hate to see what an Oakwynd-level economy mess up would do to a static state server economy by opening up a transfer to Agnarr once their LDoN unlocks.

But I do get the point - if OOW is the last bastion expansion for Truebox on TLP - having an option to jump to a content locked server at that last bastion makes a lot of sense for those participating on a subsequent TLP playthrough.

That said, I really do think that another era lock server is supportable. However, I do think that it will spell the demise for the current viability of Agnarr. The players that enjoy content locks are or have already played on Agnarr and that crossover playerbase demographic would likely lead to far less participation on Agnarr.

Which, is why I think the ultimate play 7+ years into Agnarr would be to announce Agnarr will unlock GoD in 9-12 months and advance to OoW/DoN. No new infrastructure needed, gives players a year+ lead time to build characters in the current Agnarr era to begin the advance through GoD and ultimately to OoW / DoN.

Between those that had played on Agnarr which left / retired that re-sub, and new subs for folks looking to participate in the advance to OoW/DoN with a bunch of lead time - it costs the company almost no expense for a good bump in subscriptions and krono sales.
    Kaenneth likes this.
  15. Juskov Lorekeeper

Having seen Fippy and the era of Magefire, I get the truebox thing. Sure, there will be a few edge cases of obvious botting on any server, but it truly was out of control before the Phinny server seemed to find a sweet spot. I really don't mind the boxing, I do it myself and it's actually not that hard to get some reasonable use within the truebox rules with a few numberpads. What I don't like is the severe disruption the massive box armies caused in open world in the past. Once you get to later xpacs, RMT is way down and most of the remaining RMT is some guy running a script with his army in an instance and not really disrupting open world. So at that point, like OOW, I don't really care and you could relax the true box.

One big irritant that remains is the Truebox disconnect when spamming keys, multibinds etc. while legitimately on different computers though. What I'd like to see is perhaps 2 EQ instances allowed per computer in Luclin and some tweaking of the disconnect to not be so sensitive. Call it restricted box in Luclin, and do the normal OOW relaxed true box later. Bit of a compromise. I wouldn't get rid of it entirely though.
  16. Xeris Augur

Yep, I agree w/ this. Nice thing is Agnarr is a small enough community that it's easy to take the pulse of the server. I'd reckon that ~60-70% of the server would prefer an OOW lock. I also know for sure that there are many people who have retired from Agnarr/EQ, but would come back to play an OOW era lock server.

Whether that's a new server, or Agnarr moves over to it, makes no difference to me :D.

One nice thing though is that unlike some later expansions that add things to the game (such as mercenaries) that would dramatically change the experience of earlier expansions; adding OOW era to Agnarr would not change much for the current player base. I.E. people who don't want to experience that content can easily stick around familiar POP era stuff if they want without brazenly having out of era things alter their experience. If the issue with DBG is cost/infrastructure restrictions, certainly opening Agnarr to OOW/DON would be a welcome change.
  17. Bewts Augur

I'd most certainly purchase the new expansion and collect pixels to have a zerker persona gear set ready to PL / raid within 24 hours of launch of GoD ;)
  18. Xeris Augur

Yep :D I haven't spent money on EQ in about 2 years but I'd open the wallet for OOW/DON LOCK ^_^
  19. CdeezNotes Augur

You just explained why they most likely won't open another locked server. Eventually they stop bringing in enough income. You know what normally happens to servers that don't generate income? They get merged. An older, regular TLP of similar population will almost assuredly generate more income than Agnarr. Why? There are still incentives to buy potions, expansions, etc. There is less incentive to do so on a server stuck at the 4th expansion.

The best chance is getting agnarr opened up more rather than a new server. Both have low odds of happening.
  20. Vedian Lorekeeper

I agree with this first point but then it's followed by a bunch of comments asking to to do the opposite. After putting in a ton of work to get BIS items in Agnarr there is zero chance that I would want to continue or return if all of that work was wasted. If people want to experience OoW, they should do it without destroying Agnarr.

I think a separate locked server in the right era could be successful. It's obviously tricky to find the right one though because there are downsides to every other expansion. Using 2.0s as the basis of a locked server isn't a recipe for longevity. The biggest drawback for another locked server is that it's only going to divide the locked server player base even further which could make neither server viable. Also, Agnarr's main appeal is the nostalgia since it was the era of peak subscriptions that people got to experience, something the 70 era isn't going to come close to competing with.

The 70 era feels more like a one or maybe two year event server to me. It could also be an opportunity to sell more people on the value of personas. Something like 51/50 but do it with level 65/100 with raid level gear and spells and all persona slots unlocked. That way people could get a jump start on running all of the 2.0s and play through the 70s expansions without committing to a permanent locked server that's doomed to fail long term, and probably take Agnarr down with it.