A suggestion for future Polling, regarding PVP interests

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Eridiniara, Feb 4, 2024.

1. Eridiniara Elder

Emails to accounts associated with PvP servers
    These forums do not seem to be enough to gauge interest for anything, lol
  2. fransisco Augur

hate to break it to you, but no one cares about pvp. Its sooo incredibly unbalanced and has been for 20 years. The amount of dev time needed to make it viable would be insane and very much not worth it for such a nich thing. Like expansion level of class rebalancing effort.

Plus, back when devs cared about pvp, the balance changes always screwed live over too. No thanks
    EagleTalon99 and Hobs like this.
  3. JeffHanson Augur

Unfortunately, a successful PVP server would require them to get cheating under control. That's not going to happen.
  4. OldTimeEQ1 Augur

That, and more than 15 people interested :(
    FranktheBank, Hobs and fransisco like this.
  5. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

These forums get players interested in lots of things, just PvP isn't one of those things.

With the changes to data laws I'm not sure if they can send a blanket email.
    Rijacki likes this.
  6. Cuzon Elder

These forums are a perfect example of how to gauge interest. The lack of interest in PVP is due to the fact no one (okay well not "no one", but a very very very very very small number of people) cares about PVP in EQ. You can go play on Zek if you need to scratch the itch, but dont expect anything more than that.
    EagleTalon99, Hobs, Eaedyilye and 4 others like this.
  7. code-zero Augur

Our guild occasionally has arena events. Not with prizes just to kill each other. Harm touch stings

I have an alt with a shield ornament that I won at a guide arena event

Way back my group geared bard killed a raid geared monk in a duel

My point is that PvP can be fun but not an entire servers worth of fun for most people

Also, I'm pretty sure that I've seen a lot more EQ PvP action than any of the Zek shy people calling for a PvP TLP have in years
    fransisco likes this.
  8. fransisco Augur

This. Server wide pvp is really just a griefing fest. You're not safe going anywhere, and there are trolls patrolling to gank anyone they can (like camping zone lines). Killing a named? Group jumps in at end to kill you and take the loot. Its not fun. Everyone hates it.
    Having reasons to go to the arena would be interesting and fun. Open World pvp is just feeding trolls.
    code-zero and Rijacki like this.
  9. Deckerd Smeckerd Augur

You could probably get a PVP server going by making players only gain XP from defeating other players. You can only gain XP from the same player once every 24 hours. You never lose XP for any reason. One kill against an even level opponent gets you a bubble. As for PVE, if you attack a player engaged in a fight, the mob considers it kill stealing and adds them to the top of their agro list. Kill stealers don’t get any loot, but the loot goes to the ones on the agro list who are not considered kill stealers.

Killing a level 5 or below character always grants a full level to the killer and 1/2 level to the victim. Of course, this system assumes only players within a fair level range can attack or assist each other. Or when you group, everyone gets the same average level. Perhaps not a true average, things could tend to roundup towards the higher level characters in the group. A level 20 grouped with 5 level 10s might result in a 17 being assigned to the group or something.
  10. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

No need for another useless poll. As you can see from your posts and responses there is just not enough interest to support a server for just PVP.

That is why Zek is there.

Go play on Zek and direct your PVP effort there by recruiting players to join that server and make it ! (if PVP was so good in the past, but it wasn't)

How funny - the filter takes out the word in my last sentence because it would be a slogan I guess. The word is great
  11. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

They can.

As long as:
    1. They only send them out to Daybreak account holders.
    2. When you create an account, the End User License Agreement says you agree.
    3. There is a way, prominently displayed, to opt out of non-account (email other than needed for the security and access to your account; like marketing or polls) emails. Both on their website and when you create an account.
    4. Every email has an Unsubscribe link that lets you unsubscribe to these kinds of emails.
    5. That they actually unsubscribe those that request it.
    The laws are designed to stop companies from sending email to those that do not want it. They are not designed to stop a company from offering their account holders information and requesting you take a poll.

Heck, I get all kinds of email from Walmart, my bank, Google, etc., asking me to review products, take polls, telling me about sales, etc. All legal.
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That might not be true for EU countries with the right to have your data removed laws.
  13. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

There you go. You have the right to unsubscribe.

As for Data Removal, that means if you close your account with Daybreak, you can ask them to remove all the data they have on you. Which means you no longer have an account:

Again, if major companies like Walmart and Google do this, then it is legal. Plus, Daybreak could only send out email to accounts with a USA address.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And how many of the target audience will have non active accounts that will get emails? That is what I am suggesting is the potential problem is the group of players that no longer play.
  15. Eaedyilye More stonehive bixies.

Sounds like a rigged poll. What about the people on FV who actually play on FV? Shouldn't they have a say if their server gets ruined?

My answer is NO!
    fransisco likes this.
  16. fransisco Augur

Real people play on FV? Dwarves aren't people though....
    Eaedyilye likes this.
  17. Svann2 The Magnificent

I think they already have functionality to take a poll in game on each individual server. Its been used before to see if TLP players want the next progression to proceed or not. Makes sense to give people that actually pvp the priority on choices rather than people that havent logged in to pvp for 18 years.

edit: oh and of course people on zek get no say in what happens on FV, obviously.
    Rijacki likes this.
  18. Nennius Curmudgeon

Sigh. Will the hate and jealousy never cease?
    fransisco likes this.
  19. fransisco Augur

Being a dwarf does have one benefit. Other races don't view you as a source of pie filling (stares at halflings)
    Nennius likes this.
  20. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

The OP seems to think that only PvPers should be the ones to decide the fate of an active non-PvP Live server and the characters of it's players.