Funny EQ moments

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Flatchy, Jan 29, 2024.

1. Flatchy Court Jester

Everyone has their in game moments they will never forget. If you would please share a few of your favorites with everyone. I will tell one that I do not think I have mentioned before that still brings a chuckle to this old troll.

My wife and I played the game early in the mornings since I worked a late shift at that time of my life. Since we were on at an odd time we played with a few British guildees we had. This was during Veil of Alaris btw. We were camping a named in Beasts Domain. Now when I camp a named I have a habit of setting my pets out in front of us on guard so when I pull they come in from behind and attack. The group was made up of Me , a box , my wifes cleric, Hinan (mage) and Cattwin a Rogue that used to play. I told Cattwin to please hide and sneak and go sit with the pets so when he came in his backstab would be in play. My wife hollared from the other room that she knew what I was doing. The pets of course were standing out by one of the PH for the named. Eventually the named did pop and the poor Rogue died really fast.
    Long after that we always used to say "Hey Cattwin , go stand by the pets"!
    Nennius and Rijacki like this.
  2. Iven the Lunatic

The named saw through SoS or did Cattwin forget to hide ? o_O
  3. Flatchy Court Jester

Saw through SoS or maybe he just had group invis on not sure.
  4. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Long long ago in the aughts on FV, we were in the Grimling caves doing some grinding: me, my sweetie, and two others who were RP in a relationship (and friends in real life). In between pulls we would do a bit of RPing and our tank/puller had a macro where he would give a kiss to his in-game girlfriend using %T. Naturally, during one of the pulls, he accidentally hit -that- macro key instead of his pull message and told us he was going to kiss the grimling. From thereafter, when we were together, we would tease him about kissing grimlings.

In that same location, might have been the same night, we had been grinding for a while. All four of us were not in the same room with each other in person (and it was long before anyone commonly used voice chat while gaming). It was getting late and we were deciding to head off for the night when we realised my sweetie had fallen asleep at his desk. He was playing a rogue and was stealth in the corner. We tried to make as much noise next to his character as we could, sending off spells, etc. but he remained unmoving. We stayed a bit longer, through another pull, but decided he was "safe enough" so we could leave him and get sleep. The next day, he said he woke up to find himself alone, in the corner, grimlings all around. He was disoriented for a couple minutes as he tried to remember why/how he got there before slowly sneaking his way back out. That was in the days before melee had any "gate" like transport and the druid had been one of those who went to bed so he had a bit of a trip to get back out to safety.
    Flatchy likes this.
  5. Lubianx Augur

We have a guild mate called Raredory. Everything that goes wrong we blame on him (over 20 years).

Anyway during Rain of Fear the first couple of times we did the Calling Phantasm group mission in Shard's Landing, we was the murderer, so it was his fault.

When we finally got to do the raid, the first time we did it he was the murderer. Very fitting.
    Nennius, Flatchy and Rijacki like this.
  6. Act of Valor The Newest Member

I love that raid solely for the fact that it made voice chat more interesting.
  7. Bigstomp Augur

Grouped with a cleric once in wall of slaughter, who knew everything about the game according to them. After 2-3 wipes caused by the cleric sending their hammer pet across the zone to pull random everything I decided I'd rather just box, brought my own cleric, setup near by doing my own killing and watched the group wipe about another 6 times before they gave up.
  8. Flatchy Court Jester

That is humerous, I have a Gnome wizard named Deiter that I used to play but have not for years. Hinan still constantly says " I blame Deiter" . Whenever something bad happens.
    Nennius and Rijacki like this.
  9. Kyzvs Augur

Way way back - prolly 2000/2001 I shot a gnoll that was in the bottom of the pit in blackburrow. At that time there were 30+ people in the zone and it took several days to level 4-5. I never expected the uber-train of death to form, pretty much the whole zone was wiped out by it before it got to the top and flattened me. I shouldn't have laughed, but it wasn't intentional and the OOC screams of the other players were so funny. Then to see a whole zone's worth of gnolls heading towards me - yeah, really funny moment.

In my defence, I stayed on an extra couple of hours that night helping with CR's (items stayed on corpse in those days and precious little opportunity to summon them) and generally repairing the damage I'd caused and apologising a *lot*. It was genuinely a "surely this would't cause an issue" moment and I never did it again. It wasn't that long after that the height mechanics on archery were changed and some other bits to avoid trains like that again. Not in my defence, I was still chuckling when I went to bed.

It's a similar thing I have now in LDoN's - as it's just me, there's no grief of other players involved, but it's quite funny pulling 8-10 yellow/red mobs (my current toons are only 65ish) and the mayhem trying to sort it all out - especially when the pathing screws up and you end up with half the zone.
    Nennius, Herf and Rijacki like this.
  10. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

I started playing when SoL launched. My former boyfriend had a Vah beastlord and I had, as my very first character, a bard. He had never played a bard so also knew nothing about the class. In those days it took a significantly longer amount of time to level.

We had been fighting bugs in the area under the city of Shar Vahl when we dinged to level 2. We went into the city to get our new spell/song. I went up to the bards and needed to step away for a short afk. He was going to buy my song for me so we could go back down to work on leveling again. I returned to find my character lying on the rug and the guildmasters and merchants in the room walking over her. My then boyfriend apologized and said he didn't know what happened, but he had tried the new song I got even thought it was a damage song. We guessed he had the merchant still targeted and everyone else assisted. We recovered my body and stuff and went back down to the pit.

Because we needed more damage, while we were fighting, I started to sing the new song. Additional bugs nearby joined in the fight then even more from further away, it felt like the whole area was converging on us and we fell to a mass of bugs. We decided I shouldn't sing that song until we had a better understanding of what it did. The level 2 bard song is a PB AE and neither of us really knew what that meant. The bugs in the pit, at least at that time, were pretty closely packed -and- hyper social agro. I'm still not sure of the exact radius of the AE of that song, but it wasn't quite as deadly on Oakwynd when I started my bard there, but it did make me nervous to sing it the first few times I did there.

The other story with those characters.... well.. with any of the early beastlord pets or even any pet at that time. The most frightening thing for a pet class was, while out of battle, realising you had no idea where your pet was and then hearing "taunting attacker, master" only to have you pet suddenly appear pulling a train from who knows where. There was a patch, not long after we had started adventuring in Paladul Caverns, that changed pets agroing mobs when you weren't engaged with them.
    Nennius and Herf like this.
  11. Windance Augur

We were doing plane of time raids and our main tank lives though the entire Quarm fight with ZERO deaths only to fall to his death in the elevator in plane of knowledge!

We ribbed him about elevators for years after that.
    Rijacki and Nennius like this.
  12. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Was clearing TOFS (the level 30-40 version) recently and got to the Icy Shade floor with the traps. Didn't realize they are a little bugged now and how much damage they are doing and sent our bard in to disarm them to watch him get instantly obliterated 100-0.

We DA'ed past them after that.
    FranktheBank likes this.
  13. birdsong_pawn Augur

1) In the early days of EQ, the winner of a duel was announced to the entire server. One afternoon, my friend and I decided to make level 1 ogres, duel to the death, then rinse and repeat. (I was making shadowknights and kicking his butt with harm touch.) After a dozen server-wide announcements, the GMs stepped in and disabled duels for the rest of the day. Apparently they didn't find it as funny as we did.

2) During the Kunark expansion, my guild was raiding Chardok. After fighting all the way to the bottom -- quite a lengthy task in those days -- one of the druids misclicked and cast Succor:East, thereby porting his entire group to East Karana. This event became part of the guild lore and was known as "The Premature Evacuation."
    Shanarias, Nennius and Rijacki like this.
  14. Windance Augur

We've had a few iterations of that as well :rolleyes:
    fransisco, Shanarias and Rijacki like this.
  15. Svann2 The Magnificent

Oh yea. That raid the tank forgot he still had on his kunark teleporting hammer.
    Tyranthraxus, Nennius and Rijacki like this.
  16. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

This only happens when a mage calls the tank into a deep location after a druid or wizard has ported the tank to a location close to the raid...
    Herf likes this.
  17. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

On a raid one time with a tank and spank boss in a place with more than one target, the fight ended and the tank just stood there... He wasn't moving with the others to go to the next target. He didn't seem to be LD but wasn't moving. Someone called his house (we weren't on voice coms then) to find out if something happened. He abruptly returned and said he went out to help his girlfriend bring in the groceries and beer while he was auto-attacking and then go locked out of his apartment. He had to find an open window to crawl in since his keys were in the house and she didn't have one yet and no one else who had keys was available.
    Herf, Grove, Flatchy and 3 others like this.
  18. Lianeb Augur

One of my guilds was working on the sisters raid (I think it was) in Convorteum, After we had given up for the night we all gated out on a wipe. 3 people landed in the Guild lobby with the Sisters Viral DoT on them and spread it unknowingly to every one in the GL afk for buffs.

There were people who lost 10 or more levels that day, the OOC comments were hysterical. People didn't know how they lost so much XP and or didn't understand how they were chain dying at their bind points. I believe the GMs revived all the lost XP and the lobby thus became a non-combat zone.
    Herf, Iven, Rijacki and 3 others like this.
  19. fransisco Augur

The best was that insta click AA evac. Someone ported the main tank group away mid raid once. That was fun!
    Rijacki likes this.
  20. Windance Augur

Another plane of time shenanigan ...

We're plowing through yet another fight with Rallos Zek mostly on autopilot because we've got the event down when suddenly all hell breaks loose. The main tank is complaining that he suddenly lost agro and can't get it back, sending the other tank scrambling to get control back.

Mean while one of the clerics is cracking up laughing ...

Turns out the prankster decided it would be funny to cast divine barrier on the main tank just to "liven" things up ...
    fransisco likes this.