eqgame.exe - Entry Point Not Found

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Out_Riding, Feb 5, 2024.

1. Out_Riding Journeyman

Hey all. Trying to get back in the game after a number of years away. It's an older Windows 7 machine running DirectX 11. The launcher opens ok, accepts my login info, installs/updates some game files - but when I hit Play, I keep getting an error that says:

The procedure entry point EventSetInformation could not be located in the dynamic link library ADVAPI32.dll

I did a SFC /verify - no issues detected. Downloaded and installed the whole suite of C++ redist from all reco'd sources, including Microsoft site. All game assets checked out valid via Advanced Tools. Tried downloading the latest launchpad from the official EQ site (using the repair option). Toggled compatibility mode and run as admin. Keep getting that same error. One thing I noticed is that the launch screen doesn't display any of the scrolling info graphics that are supposed to be displayed to the left of the Latest News section.

An uninstall/reinstall seems to be the next logical step, but perhaps there's something else I should try? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Are you 32 or 64 bit?

Start button, right-click Computer, and then select Properties. The version of Windows 7 is displayed next to System type.
    Out_Riding likes this.
  3. Soulbanshee Augur

If it is 64-bit OS:

Your GPU is required to support DirectX feature level 11_0.

You are required to have SP1 installed.

You are required to have KB2670838 installed.

https://www.everquest.com/news/eq-directx11-api-port-live
    Out_Riding likes this.
  4. Drencrom Beimeith's Supervisor

It's almost certainly because your PC is 32 bit. Same problem with other games on 32 bit machines.
    If your CPU is 64 bit you can upgrade windows to 64. If the CPU is 32 bit, you have to toss it and get a new one. A machine that will run EQ can be as cheap as 200-300 dollars. Look on amazon and newegg for cheap-o prebuilts.
    Edit: I see one for just under $150 but I'm not going to advertise for anyone.
  5. Out_Riding Journeyman

Thanks for your response.

Win 7 SP1, 64 bit. Running Geforce GTX 660.
  6. Out_Riding Journeyman

Thanks for your reply.

My Geforce GTX 660 supports up to DirectX 12 but I understand DirectX 11 is the ceiling for Windows 7 machines. I do not have KB2670838 installed -- but isn't DirectX 11 backward compatible for DirectX 9 games like EQ? I will go read that thread now...
  7. Cairbrae Developer

Yes, you need Platform Update for Windows 7 SP1 (KB2670838) to complete DirectX 11 feature level support on that platform. You're GPU should be okay.
  8. Soulbanshee Augur

The GTX 660 has up to feature level 11_0 even though it is DX12, which is fine for Windows 7. Its not DX11/12, its feature level 11_0 is required, though for Windows 10 this would be 11_1 so your GPU may be problematic if you upgrade your OS.
    https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-660.c895

Install the platform update KB then try again.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36805
  9. Out_Riding Journeyman

Thanks again for the replies. Perhaps my experience will help others...

I installed platform update KB2670838 - to my surprise, it did not help. Turned my focus to drivers and I noticed my Geforce driver was a bit dated - so I proceeded to attempt an install of the latest Win 7 64-bit driver. However that too was unsuccessful as it yielded a new error, setup.exe - Entry Point Not Found:

"The procedure entry point SetDefaultDllDirectories could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll"

Hit up the MS forums to troubleshoot and found a recommendation to install yet another MS update, in this case Security Update KB4457144. I've avoided installing updates on this machine for many years with hopes of keeping it as stable and 'un-Microsofted' as possible... but felt compelled to try this so I could rule out driver related issues.

After installing this Security Update, I thought I'd give the LaunchPad another shot before re-attempting to install a more recent driver... and whaddya know - it worked! Unfortunately........ it takes 3-4 minutes for the character select screen to paint up, and then a whopping ~8 minutes before I am in the game. PoK is barely navigable, and I can't even think of approaching the lag pile. Checked out Qeynos to see how things are in an empty zone... definitely better, but nothing like how smooth the game used to be on this exact same machine setup nearly a decade ago. Zoning back into PoK took another ~8 minutes....

I experimented with a couple drivers and it seems the older the better thus far - but who knows which driver is best suited for the current state my machine is in (unsupported OS, missing updates, etc). A shame really. It's reminding me of when I was forced off XP to play EQ. Any suggested fixes to the chunky lag and graphical issues?
  10. Iven the Lunatic

Do these step by step, not all at once, to find out what does help. Run EQ after each step !

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Use the LaunchPad (patcher) to validate the files. Click on the cog wheel in the lower left corner.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Check eqclient.ini This is how it should look with 6 CPU cores:

ClientCore0=-1
    ClientCore1=-1
    ClientCore2=-1
    ClientCore3=-1
    ClientCore4=-1
    ClientCore5=-1

Search for "CPU" and delete the lines with that key word.

3. Disable the new Ui engine in eqclient.ini

UseNewUIEngine=0

11. Soulbanshee Augur

You launched 6 clients. The CPU core is after the equals, where -1 means let Windows schedule the thread which is the default. Deleting won't do anything because the client will just add the setting back in the next time it launches.
  12. Iven the Lunatic

Yes, that is the best option, which got recently confirmed again by a dev.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...ore-changes-to-ini.285260/page-2#post-4284322

Obsolete entries do not get added into eqclient.ini.
    Cairbrae likes this.