EQ Survey Thoughts

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by KushallaFV, Feb 3, 2024.

1. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

We're 25 years in, and the survey question is whether we would recommend EQ to people. Come on, we've all tried bringing friends into the gaming 2 decades ago.
    Hobs, Barraind, Andarriel and 2 others like this.
  2. Velisaris_MS Augur

I refuse to even take the survey because I'm not clicking a link to some sketchy 3rd party website.

I've never seen a company more afraid to use their own website/forum to communicate with it's customers than Daybreak. It's astouding.
    Barton-Vox, KarmaKitty and Herf like this.
  3. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

It's a one question survey asking how likely you are to recommend EQ to friends, and then a write in for anything you'd like to add.
  4. Strawberry Augur

Right off the bat, I would never recommend EQ unless they implement default maps for all zones.

Telling a new player they need to start downloading files from 3rd party sites in 2024, to even know where they are, would be too ridiculous.

Hell, not downloading random zip files from the internet is the first thing they teach people in those "how to stay safe online" classes.

Why the hell does this game still not have basic maps.
    Kaenneth, Mesc, Shanarias and 5 others like this.
  5. Febb Augur

I think it's self explanatory why there aren't any official maps. They created the LoY map system so players could make them instead of paying someone at the company to make them.
    Allayna likes this.
  6. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

The "third party website" is Google Forms. There is zero "sketchiness".

The only objection anyone could have is you must sign into a Google account (at least I had to) to answer the survey. Daybreak/Darkpaw does not get your Google account name, etc.

While I agree that Daybreak/Darkpaw should use their own website for more things (having important game information only in Discord is bad) setting up a survey on their website is enough extra work that they probably wouldn't have even done it at all if that was the only way they could do so.

Almost every company in the world uses Google Forms or an equivalent (like Microsoft Outlook). Nothing sketchy.
    NatazzEvoli, Hobs and Hegsheoshed like this.
  7. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

The survey has a place you can tell them this.
    Xyza, Hobs, Kaenneth and 1 other person like this.
  8. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

They do have cartography with basic maps and have since LOY was released. This is the link for the original release. https://web.archive.org/web/2008060...est.station.sony.com/legacy/f_cartography.jsp

Players can build on that or download maps that others have provided. Its up to the player. They do not hold your hand in this game and a player will have to take responsibility and or actions on his own. Many players find that fact beyond their abilities. So the player made maps are great.

Personally, I would likely leave the game if Dev's started to provide maps. They have not proven a solid product over all least of all with the map feature.

. There are so many zones connections that are wrong right now, the zones that are in the zone guide are all listed catter wampus in the file - does the zone have a "The" in front of it or is it just "Whatever mountains" or is it "Mountains of the whatever"? Or is it Lake of whatever mountains. All the stones in POK have different labels.

For example a guide comes on and says to meet him at the X stone for a guide event. There is no stone called X but there is a Y stone that leads to zone X.

Most new players do not know that either. So why not revamp all the books in POK to show what they really are? That has to be far more confusing to new players.
    Mr newbie says: How to get to Crescent reach?
    Old guy responds: just take the Crescent Reach stone.
    Mr Newbie: Uh I don't see one that says that.
    Well, mr newbie its really says Blightfire Moors but that will lead you to Crescent reach.
    Mr Newbie: and then where do I go? this is too hard. and quits game.

But even that is on the basic maps. And they have the "find" key and the zone guide. So the game has given many ways to find where a player needs to go or is going and if you want more they can make it or download it.
    Nennius likes this.
  9. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I'm confused over this statement. If Darkpaw provided maps we could still ignore them and use player provided ones.

I've done my fair share of complaining about zone names. Having a wiki where I have to name the zone articles will quickly make it very clear the problems with things like "The Hero's Forge" zone or "Hero's Forge" zone. Also, "Hero's Forge" is the name of their armor augmentation ornamentation system.

I've worked around these issues fairly well and it's not a huge deal, however annoying.

The biggest issue was the reusing of zone names. "Hey, I want to get to Maiden's Eye, how do I do that?" "Which Maiden's Eye do you want?". Darkpaw seemed to listen to that complaint and has mostly stopped doing that. I never understood why they did in the first place, as the "new" Maiden's Eye could have easily been called "Luclin's Eye" instead (Luclin is also called "The Maiden of Shadow".)

I hear you on this. I do understand why the stones have the city names and I also understand that is not correct.

I suppose if the stone has room it should say, "Blightfire Moors (Crescent Reach)". I'm not sure it has room for that.

The other issue is that in the past when I had my graphics settings really low the stone name was blurry and basically could not be read. I think that for signs the texture for the name should be "special" and clear no matter what your settings are. But that's a separate issue and might be "fixed" at this point.

I have a wiki because this game is so complex players (me) need help. Although to be honest, it seems all these games are complex. I started playing Destiny 2 (free version) and understanding the many different currencies, stats, gear enhancement, and everything else is so difficult.
    Hobs likes this.
  10. uberkingkong Augur

Agreed

Nope, EQ2 doesn't have maps either,
    EQ you have to download maps
    EQ2 you have to download maps

Explore the unexplored. smh, they behind times thats all. I'm exploring the unexplored in Palworld and they provide maps, there is better ways of doing explore the unexplored ideology.

I didn't get survey.

Whats the 3rd party, is it surveymonkey? There are some 3rd parties which are totally legit, and if ain't those, then you got a point. I wouldn't goto a 3rd party I do not recognize.

Nope I would not recommend.
    I'm sure others don't recommend because how many people have kids???
    Are your kids playing this game???

If you can't even get your kids to play or you don't recommend it to your kids, don't bother wasting recommending it to others.

If its an old timer to old timer recommendation thing, the other old timer probably has nostalgia in whatever game they like, they want you to play that game instead.

Other MMORPGs have everything EQ has and more.
    Open boss? check
    72 or more people fighting a boss? check
    Corpse run (not anymore in EQ, lost its identity)? check
    fast travel? check
    mounts? check
    guilds? check
    quests? check

Progressing Storyline (eq does not have) EQ does not check
    Meta events. EQ does not check
    Dodge, modern movement. EQ does not check
    Mounts with abilities. EQ does not check
    Alliance wars. EQ does not check
    voice acting NPCs. EQ does not check
    so on and so on and so on.

Nostalgia is all EQ got, and all you see with new games it, it has what pokemon has but its better.
    That means it has the nostalgia of another game, but its better.

Nostalgia aint gonna be around forever.

How many hulkamaniacs are still around. goldberg fans? ewww oldies. More Roman Reigns! Hail the Tribal Chief! ACKNOWLEGE him.

Oldies getting oldies if thats what the survey is trying to figure out, not gonna work, they want you to play their game, obviously you do not. vice versa.

Runescape is doing a lot better than EQ, come play Runescape, EQ is dead, people still play that?

Need EQ3.
    Take notes from Guild Wars 2. They the game that transitioned successfully.
    EQ isn't WoW.
    WoW is top #1 2006. top #1 2024.
    EQ top what 10? 2006? 49/140 2024, it hasn't been holding out like WoW.

You know what, EQ isn't WoW, its 1999. EQ2 is the equivalent to WoW, but WoW is just way better.

EQ is like Playstation game, graphics are just a little old, its not a PS2 game. PS2 games are still holding strong. WoW and EQ2 are PS2 games. It's just EQ2 never really hit it.

Lastly,
    Nostalgia, it just gets someone to come back and play for a short while. They find out quickly with lack of LFGs and so on, game changing stuff like coin weight and corpse stuff. Just isn't what it used to be, and they go on their way.
    Time sucker game too, all secrets are pretty much gone, playerbase doesn't really LFG, too many sweaties. I sure don't recommend this game.
    Would I recommend they play EQ3, sure, lets do it.
  11. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Its a hidden feature much like basic maps. :D You kinda have to read and comprehend.
  12. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Google Forms.
  13. Toukan Augur

Couldn't take it. Don't have a google account.
  14. Kalvenie Elder

My feedback as someone who works in employee / customer engagement, an NPS score based on customer recommendation isn't likely to lead to any useful insight.

whether people are loyal to play the game isn't necessarily linked to whether a person would want their friends or family playing the game. Some would, for sure. But gaming, particularly older games., played by older people are not likely to lead to chats with peers about playing as well.

a better NPS quesiton would be "How likely are you to open another account to box with" ;-)
  15. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

What survey?

*Edit* NM I see it.
  16. Nekk Augur

17. Conq Augur

That was a survey to survey how many EQ'ers would respond to a survey. The useful information gleaned from the one question posed is nil.
    Conq
    Fenthen and Herf like this.
  18. Vanrijn New Member

EQ just about the only game I play, since 2001, when my kids got me into it on test but I'm slowing down, yawn only 1 time playing till 5am in the last 3-4 years, I'll just tag alone for a few more I guess. Let the newbies have their fun.
  19. Herf Augur

Really? That's terrible.

That's literally the same question I get when I go to my local grocery store checkout. Which I always ignore. Not because the store sucks, but it's also not some place I'd recommend either.
  20. Herf Augur