Fixed Short freezes on mob spawn (DX11)

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by sunjis, Feb 2, 2024.

1. sunjis Apprentice

Firstly, the game runs relatively smoothly now for me after fiddling with some settings (reset eqclient.ini, disabled mip-mapping and social animations, limited framerate to 60) and I never experienced any serious graphical glitches with the update.

However, there remains a big issue and that is reoccurring hick-ups where the whole client freezes for a quarter of a second or so. One trigger seems to be certain mobs spawning.
    Today I was in Toskirakk and found that EVERY TIME an ogre spawned the game would freeze for a short moment. And it seems to be ONLY the ogre models, though I will try again tomorrow to verify. Hitching would occur regardless of whether I was close to the mob spawning or not. Was keeping track of spawns using, well, Tracking, if you are wondering.

This issue is very irritating, because it isn't just a graphical glitch, but the game also ignores any input while it is frozen and makes moving using mouse look almost impossible.

System is i7-12700K, 32GB RAM, RTX 3070, 1TB SSD, if it matters.
    Miminona, Bad_Warrior, airez and 20 others like this.
  2. sunjis Apprentice

Can confirm now that boars in Toskirakk do not cause any perceptible hitching on spawning. With Giants (warmasters) and orcs (blades) I noticed some minor hitching, felt like two very short freezes in a row, nothing compared to the ogres though.
    airez likes this.
  3. Conq Augur

This also happens during the Final Fugue mission. Every round of new mobs spawned freezes the game. Every time. Very repeatable. Very noticeable. Very annoying.
    Conq
    airez, daranged, Lubianx and 2 others like this.
  4. Windance Augur

I noticed it with the hooded shades in Ka Vethan.
    Same with the mushroom guys in Myconid Mutiny.

Also fits Myconid Mutiny when everyone gets turned into a mushroom.

I'm on an i7-6700k 4ghz, 32 GB ram, Nvidia 1070.
    airez and Silvena like this.
  5. Scila Augur

If you spend time in Laurion (and this has happened since release), there is a huge lag when everything flips (think alligators to sharks). I've also noticed that when I'm running around doing collects, there is a small hitch and a shiny will pop in front of me.
    airez likes this.
  6. Randel Flag Elder

all these happen to me also, and more, almost any time an aura is generated too

RTX 3070 also
    airez likes this.
  7. Lodestar The Undefeated

8. sunjis Apprentice

I can't speak for the newer zones as I don't have any high level characters, Seeds of Destruction is as far as I have come. For me the issue so far only cropped up in particular zones with certain NPC models or otherwise it's at least not very noticeable. Korascian Warrens is the same story as Toskirakk, I can report, bad hitching every time an ogre model spawns, but not the other types.

Any theories on what could be causing it anyway? I feel like there shouldn't be any loading going on if another instance of a model is added to a zone with dozens identical ones already in it. In that case all meshes, textures and animations are already loaded and ready, so I wouldn't think that can be the cause.
  9. Windance Augur

Its like the models are not cached and its reloading everything for each model.
  10. Lodestar The Undefeated

Yeap. This is a serious issue. Devs must look into this.
    Peter_The_great likes this.
  11. sunjis Apprentice

Hills of Shade: fishermen and Blackwater residents cause hitching on spawn consistently, but NOT Blackwater lookouts, odd. Undead, fungi and plants are fine. Group of wereorcs that pop periodically occasionally cause hitching.
    Old Bloodfields: Dragorn types cause hitching all others seemingly not.
  12. Velisaris_MS Augur

When the final mob pops in the FF mission, I get a 2-3 second freeze on all accounts. That never happened with DX9.

It's definitely a graphics rendering issue.
  13. Lodestar The Undefeated

Just FYI: May not necessarily be a direct in-frame graphical rendering issue, as the freezing happens when not actually looking at NPCs loading in. It happens when they are in completely different rooms 500+ feet away. This is egregious because loading in models/textures is a foundational operation continuously occurring, and if it's causing hitching when NPCs/PCs aren't even in view then it's a substantial issue.

But yes absolutely, needs to be addressed.
    Silvena and Windance like this.
  14. Bigstomp Augur

The most brutal form of this I have seen is the raid, 'The Artist' and whenever mushrooms spawn it makes a bit of lag. Then later in the event when most of the raid force gets illusioned to mushrooms it's pretty brutal. I'm usually ok elsewhere, this event though, something about the mushroom models is just bad.
    Sumasi, Silvena and Windance like this.
  15. newc322 Lorekeeper

ive noticed this happening to across different zones if im close to where a mob is spawning. my client essentially has a stroke when i /overseer as well, but only on one of my accounts and have no idea why
  16. Allayna Augur

It also happens on leveling.

I can be killing an NPC, the character will level and all of autogrant spam will fire, the con of the NPC will change on my target and THEN it will die, graphically....even though I leveled off of the kill.
    Yinla likes this.
  17. Soulbanshee Augur

Overseer runs synchronously while the rest of the game runs asynchronously, having lots of agents extends the loading of the Overseer data which would be different per account.
  18. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I have noted these freezes as well in many different zones.
  19. sunjis Apprentice

No change after 2/22 patch, hitching is still present with same zones/mobs. Not surprised, as I don't believe this to be due to a performance bottleneck with loading textures or such. I suspect a synchronization issue or the like where a thread gets blocked longer than it should.
  20. Dewhead Journeyman

Same experience as above poster - adjusted many settings/memory/ini options to test repeatedly and same performance as pre-patch. Starting to feel more that this points to it not being texture related but more client data handling as others have mentioned.
    Nennius likes this.