Progression server idea: DX 9

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Gidora, Feb 1, 2024.

1. Gidora New Member

Make a Progression Server that still uses DX 9 stuff so the peeps with older hardware can still play.
    kevvlar, Yinla and Andarriel like this.
  2. Soulbanshee Augur

TLPs are the exact same DB and code base as live servers. They have already stated that DX11 is final and have no plans to make graphics switchable.
    Kaenneth likes this.
  3. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

a Linux or iOS release would be more useful.
    Vumad likes this.
  4. Strawberry Augur

All GPU released within the last 14 years are DX11-compatible. Likely 100% of EQ's playerbase has DX11-compatible hardware, older hardware would not be able to run today's EQ, not even in DX9 mode.

This is purely an EQ software issue the developers need to fix, not a hardware issue.
  5. Windance Augur

The last thing they want is to have more versions of the EQ code base to maintain.

They just have to work out the issues and getting it rolled out before folks decide to quit logging in.
  6. Kyzvs Augur

Back when I first started boxing, in about 2003-4 maybe I had EQ running pretty much perfectly under wine on RedHat it would have been at the time, I don't think I started Debian until later on. Does it still work?
  7. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

Maybe, but last I heard just running under a VM is bannable because it makes it easier to use cheat programs. I think WINE isn't technically a VM though?
  8. Strawberry Augur

It's not a VM. Wine looks for Windows specific calls and translates them to calls Linux libraries and API understand.

You should use Bottles though, it's lot more productive to use than Wine itself.

Both suck, and I don't play games on Linux. Valve is just creating a monopoly on Linux. Instead of native Linux ports you basically now have Valve using Proton (which uses Wine) to become the default gatekeeper on Linux. Not only is it monopolistic, it is failing just as badly as SteamOS machines did. Once Microsoft updates DirectX, Valve would have to start all over again trying to redirect all these Windows calls, it's a mess and pointless.

The whole selling point of Linux on desktop was that it was free. But Windows is free too, Microsoft is now a services company. Microsoft wants you to use Bing, Game Pass, 365 and OneDrive, they don't care if you pay for Windows or not.

And if you're going to just play games made for Windows instead of native games, uh, just use Windows.
  9. Lodestar The Undefeated

Uhm the progression server should start on DirectX 6, and should also lock at DirectX 9 permanently.
  10. Eaedyilye More stonehive bixies.

Don't forget dialup. TLP's need to have mandatory dialup. If you don't have 4 or 5 link deaths a night, you're doing something wrong.
    Nennius and Kaenneth like this.
  11. fransisco Augur

DX9 is out of support - for the entire world. EQ needs to upgrade to 10 year old technology just to continue functioning.
    Rijacki likes this.
  12. Lodestar The Undefeated

Come on man you're killing the fun! What about 28.8K modems do they still function with EQ? We just want to experience the game in all its glory before DX11 came along.
  13. Windance Augur

Think these folks should check out or spin up their own servers.
    fransisco likes this.
  14. Nennius Curmudgeon

And for that ultimate EQ experience close your eyes while you meditate. Death is the price for pleasure.
    fransisco likes this.
  15. kevvlar New Member

LoL. Too late for that... I wish they really believed that and left well enough alone....I think the DX whatever has been maxed out with development. The graphics engine is maxed, it ran its course, and they should have left it alone,,, There was no more maintaining that needed to be done across differing systems,, DX can only be so good with the EQ graphics engine,,....with all the known issues in Beta and STILL releasing it Live.
    I appreciate their zeal to, as they said,,,, pave the way for the future, but they really made a bird nest of things,,should look at Eq history, and revert...
    I DO like the suggestion,...
    mercury890 likes this.
  16. EagleTalon99 Elder

kevvlar likes this.
  17. Wulerdar Gnome Slayer

i mean if you want to go that far then full screen only alt tab auto boots you from the game =P
  18. Captain Video Augur

FYI, FF14 will become 64-bit-only and DX11-only at their next major patch sometime in March/April. For any of their players who don't want to upgrade ancient equipment or OS, tough beans. Of course they've been running a stable DX11 build on their Live servers for a few years now. A major graphics overhaul is going live for them later this summer. Oh, and their Xbox open beta is a few weeks away... I wonder what EQ would be like on the Xbox platform. It's not like any other DBG game is on console. Oh wait...
  19. Peter_The_great Elder

Would it use Vulcan? Direct X is Windows only.
  20. Strawberry Augur

This is only the case for Intel/AMD.

Nvidia still has native DX9 support, even on their newest GPU.

So if you are a person who likes to also play older games, or often use GOG, I would highly recommend an Nvidia GPU over AMD/Intel (not like Nvidia needs my support making billions, but anyway).