Request: Out of Cycle Live Patch to Fix DX11

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Windance, Jan 28, 2024.

1. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

They possibly need to redo a lot of lighting in zones, I find the guild hall too bright, but places like Pal'Lomen too dark now. It used to be fine in both.
    Nennius likes this.
  2. jeskola pheerie

All the replies in the world will never be enough for some.

[IMG]
    Iven and Nennius like this.
  3. Gialana Augur

This was also happening on one installation of EQ and in some zones for me. When I turned off Dynamic Lighting, the overly bright textures were much better.
    Fanra likes this.
  4. Windance Augur

I also turned off Dynamic Lighting.

There were places where the entire scene would drastically shift from light to dark and back as you moved 1-2 steps.
  5. Laronk Augur

So i wanted to see some of what you guys see i tried turning off HDR in windows and oh my gosh is it ever blinding on my oled in the bazaar if I have HDR turned off. With HDR turned on it's fine, I'd take screenshots to show the difference but when you screenshot with windows hdr turned on it like turns it off for the screenshot or something. With HDR off all the detail is blown out of the walls in the bazaar unless I turn off advanced lighting without advanced lighting things look fine but i forget why i want advanced lighting on.??

Really direct x 11 change works perfectly fine for me but yeah there should be sliders. The sliders how ever they make them work in other directx games aren't needed for the majority of people they're there for the some people. Those games do spend money to get it working just right most of the time but some of the time people need the slider.
  6. jeskola pheerie

[IMG]
    Laronk likes this.
  7. Knifen Augur

It was a good show tbh.
    jeskola likes this.
  8. Laronk Augur

I loved it, I wonder what it would be like today though if they created a similar show since writing and acting has evolved.
  9. Febb Augur

Turn off advanced lighting, this issue has existed for many years with certain textures in certain expansions.
  10. Zinth Augur

aye, I still have it ON since it better in all the other zones... but there are still some buggy textures in certain places... and no I won't turn it off, I will just live with it the few places, since I like how the game looks everywhere else
  11. Mokara New Member

That is not a solution, he would have to recalibrate it back to normal after he exited EQ and used the computer for something else. If levels are normal in everything else, but dark in EQ, then there needs to be a slider to adjust gamma in game, like there used to be. Why was that removed?
    Yinla likes this.
  12. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Sorry i didn't answer earlier. I read the article Cairbrae linked and took a deep dive (well maybe medium dive) into some further info linked there.

It looks like the app switching/full screen/windowed issues are mentioned there as well.

As I mentioned this is stuff provided by Microsoft to help developers update their code, and use best practices, as well as move away from using code that is losing support, and they'd prefer you did it a different way.

It is tough moving from 9 to 11. Microsoft's suggestions to update come at each step. So Daybreak is having to combine two sets of changes.

This is all stuff though, in my opinion, that should have been researched first, and considered before any code was written, or posted to beta and then player feedback ignored.
    mercury890 likes this.
  13. Windance Augur

One of the Dev's posted on why. The answer boils down to:

1 - It relied on the OS/graphics level drivers to support it.
    2 - It didn't work reliably.

I'll add that it was a brute force, system wide adjustment to the graphics cards gamma. If you played in windowed mode you'd notice that it effected everything on your system.

They included a "brightness" slider in its place, its just that the range of scaling isn't large enough for how some folks have their graphics card / monitor brightness and contrast setup.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  14. Paladin Augur

So... why not have an adaptive INI that does this for the Players? Instead of making them jump thru hoops, many of which may not be computer friendly? Maybe?
    mercury890 likes this.
  15. Nennius Curmudgeon

I would prefer a personal assistant. The baby needs her diaper changed. :)
  16. Bernel Augur

17. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

Well I logged out, patched and logged back in, and now I can't open bags in my (default UI) inventory window.

This crap is what test server is for.
    mercury890 likes this.
  18. Brickhaus Augur

Is it that your right click isn't registering?

Cause that's been happening to me from time to time since the January patch, even before the hotfix.

Logging the character out then back in seems to fix ... but it is annoying.
  19. DJDan New Member

Just a guess, but Jenn Chan, the lead Product Manager for EQ probably makes the final call on how engineering resources are spent relative to the roadmap.
    mercury890 likes this.
  20. mercury890 Old Timer from the days of karana.

Thank you for suggesting this. I've mentioned it several times but have fallen on deaf ears or ears that don't care or possibly don't know what they are doing (or all of the above)......

Cancelled all access on all my accounts I guess until the first quarterly loss of earnings gets heads rolling,, REVERT!
    DJDan likes this.