Help with new hardware please

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by sesnw, Jan 20, 2024.

1. sesnw New Member

Hi
    I am returning to EQ and currently only have a Chromebook which is useless for EQ, so was looking at a cheap laptop just for EQ - but comparing EQ specs with onboard graphics is a little confusing. If there is an expert out there that could tell me if this would do just for casual time to time EQ

• Lenovo V15 AMD Ryzen 3 7320U Processor
    • Radeon 610M Graphics card
    • 15.6 Inch Full HD Screen
    • 8GB RAM
    • 256GB SSD
    • Windows 11 Home
  2. Keenween Elder

Short anwser

If you want play Tetris , yes
    if you want play EQ, no
  3. Riou EQResource

If you only wanted to play 1 single character you would probably be fine
    minimind likes this.
  4. Peter_The_great Elder

One Everquest game should be just fine.
    minimind likes this.
  5. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Any new PC will be fine for one instance of EQ. If you want to box, the more clients you want, the better PC you will want. The main criteria being enough memory, and a non-crappy video card.

One comment I will make, though, on your proposed system. 8GB is not enough for ANY modern PC. 16GB is pretty much the minimum. I'm not necessarily referring to EQ here, I just mean in general.
  6. Exmortis_MT Augur

So pretty much as stated if you just want to run one client at 1920x1080 that system will do the job, but barely.

iGPU (610M) - Reason is that iGPU is extremely weak, just 2 CUs even if RDNA 2. You may find it not enough with future xpac's if they up fidelity, and even as it is, it may require you to turn features off like shadows. Good news is RDNA 2 is DX11 compliant. But I would go up if can.
    I run EQ on a 5600G with Vega 8 iGPU at 2560x1440 max settings. This iGPU is two generations older but has 8 CUs. That's 4x the Compute Units as a comparison.

RAM - 8GB is enough for just EQ or most older games, however as mentioned beyond EQ it may be on the low side, or for multi-boxing. My 5600G systems all have 16GB as a comparison.

STORAGE - 256GB drive is very small, again if using it for just Windows and EQ it is enough, but again little space beyond the OS and a install of a few EQ instances. EQ is around 16GB per install.

CPU - this is more than enough for a single EQ instance and probably could handle 3 for sure. a 4th may be more challenging as it has only 4 cores. Remember it is a mobile CPU with the U moniker, thus it is a low power usage in order of 10-20w depending on system. This handicaps the CPU, my desktop 5600G is a 65w CPU as a comparison.

In order of importance for upgrade:
    1. better iGPU if at all can.
    2. 8GB Memory, 16GB would be better, especially if boxing.
    3. 256GB drive (again if this is just an EQ box it should be OK, so save a buck for better iGPU).
    4. CPU - If a better box comes with a better CPU it is a win, but this should be fine.

Please remember I have not specifically tested the hardware nor with EQ.
  7. Iven the Lunatic

It will work fine even for dual boxing. RAM is a bit small but will work with virtual memory. EQ is CPU dependant so the graphics card does not matter much if the screen is small. I am just wondering why you want to go for a laptop when you don't want to spend much money. You can get a cheaper price or more tech when you buy a midi tower system instead. It would be also a better long term investment. Try to get a (refurbished) office tower if you want to go cheap.

A few reasons for not buying a laptop and investing more money

Performance, upgradeability, live duration, and return on value will be so much better.
  8. PraimFaya Journeyman

I agree with everything you said about desktop v laptop.

However, for me from 2001 to 2012 or so I traveled a ton. Mon through Thurs nights in a hotel. A always carried 2 laptops. My work one and a snazzier one for gaming.

Subway, bag of chips and EQ or Warhammer Online for 4-5 hours.

When I stopped traveling as much I build a beefier desktop.

Thanks
  9. Iven the Lunatic

Mobile use is a good reason for laptops. That is what they were made for.