Steal from Season of Discovery!!

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Brazy, Jan 18, 2024.

1. Waring_McMarrin Augur

What this idea is suggesting doesn't seem anything like the challenge server which had rewards for beating content 10 levels below the max level. This seems to be keep the levels lower to drag out how long it takes to do things.
  2. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

With how easy EQ has become at lower levels locking levels will not stop players completing the expansion, it just becomes more challenging.
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Again, this suggestion reads to me as level locking for the purpose of slowing down people from reaching max expansion level instead of level locking for a challenge and reward.
  4. Indigo_Quarmite Augur

As a current player of retail WoW and WOTLK Classic - i assure you that SoD is not and was not a massive hit. Most everyone already returned to their main servers already. It cannibalized existing players from retail and classic and moved them on to SoD for a few weeks while it was novelty. It has since been taken over by bots. It will see an influx of players at the next cap increase, true.

It did not exactly generate new subs. If you weren't already playing WoW you weren't like cool let me come back after 10 years away for this. If you did it was for one month and done due to bot infestation.

EQ doesn't have enough player base to cannibalize their own people like that. Leveling isn't casual enough like WoW.

The whole goal of SoD was to keep people sub while waiting on the new wow expansion and Cata classic release.

EQ and WoW do not have the same situation and not even remotely similar communities. EQ doesn't need to keep its subscribers busy until the next thing drops. TLPers play TLP and Live players play Live - they aren't jumping ship for something like that and certainly don't need a server to play casually while waiting on their weekly lockouts....because its EQ...
  5. Indigo_Quarmite Augur

Vaniki was never going to be great. The concept is a flop for EQ.

It's pretty great for logging into and killing Yelinak and CT to get buffs/port claims on the current TLP.

That's about it.
  6. Kahna Augur

I mean, that is basically what my friends and I did on SoD. Get to max level, clear the content, then stop playing until more content came out. Only it took 2.5 weeks to do instead of a month or two.

If they just level locked the servers and didn't do any additional content my friend group wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.
  7. Kahna Augur

This.

I am curious why the OP considers it to be a massive hit. It's got like what? 6 or 7 servers? Only 1 normal non PVP, non RP server. This is WoW we are talking about. Classic WoW had more servers than that before it even opened and had to scramble to open more. I didn't see any scrambling with SoD. For WoW half a dozen servers is NOT a massive success. Not by a long shot.
  8. coltongrundy Augur

Don't ever @ me to tell me how great you think wow is, I promise you I don't care. Level cap 20 EQ sounds like the dumbest idea i've heard for a tlp server. Makes me think this is a troll to make pvp sound good by comparison.
  9. Hdizzle Augur

There it is. That's not a thing. You are asking for more than a lvl cap. You are asking for new additional content in your favorite video game zones.
  10. Kahna Augur

I don't think he is asking them to make new raids like SOD did. I think he is planning on "raiding" Guk at level 20.
    Hdizzle likes this.
  11. itsalmosttime Lorekeeper

Oh look warring is here poo pooing on any idea that isn't another phinny clone.

Shocker.
    Lineater likes this.
  12. wade_watts Augur

OP's idea is great, at least in terms of looking outward at what has been successful. SOD may or may not be a winner for EQ.

I'm sure however that they will just keep listening to existing subscribers instead of the people that left the game. This kind of survivorship bias is exactly what will keep the game declining.

Do they want to grow the base of players that are interested in playing or just keep existing people from leaving. They (seemingly accidentally) stumbled upon very successful TLP combinations and then they never refined/replicated it even in spite of a vocal community. Most of those players have now lost interest. Sad to see such a great IP wallow in decline and mediocrity from poor product direction.
    GRACUS and OldTimeEQ1 like this.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

No, I am suggesting that capping the level at 20 isn't going to attract anyone as people already complain about how long classic at level 50 is. There are many other options they can go with for something new besides just capping the level 20 (or some other low level) any not changing anything else.
  14. GRACUS Lorekeeper

Are you delusional? Do you even play WoW SoD? Because if you did and joined the "LookingForGroup" channel on just about every server, your statements would prove false. There are multiple 10 man pug raids being formed 24/7 on just about every server. The Wild Growth normal server has over 300000 players alone. Yes some are bots but the vast majority of players are not.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Where exactly are you getting your player numbers from? 300,000 on a single server doesn't sound right.
    Indigo_Quarmite likes this.
  16. jeskola pheerie

You're right he meant 3 million
  17. Indigo_Quarmite Augur

Its not even. Check the logs. It's very public. They have appx. 4.5m total subs right now which covers all versions of the games. 300k might be all of SOD servers combined. It certainly is not 3m.

3m might have been the total since launch that dabbled with it and left already (like me) which didn't result in new revenue since i was already subbed. Which goes back to the point and keeping it forum appropriate, is not a good idea for EQ to splinter it's playerbase for something that won't draw in more returning players.
  18. Xazier Augur

Everyone thinks they have the analytics of EQ's TLPs. Let me tell you, you don't know, you just speculate. DPG is going to give us a server that they want. Obviously DPG has the data on what is popular and what brings in the money, not the average forum poster who thinks they know what is popular.
  19. DeadRagarr Augur

SoD worked because it was entirely new content not because of level lock. New raids, but also new entire class mechanics. Warlock tanks etc. They would have to redo the entire AA system and make a system where rogues can MT etc to "Steal" from SoD correctly.

Granted an TLP where AA's can be earned and spent from level 1 through various questing etc to break up the same old grind would be nice. Imagine having to complete quests or kill named in zones nobody cares about because it gives you a nice +1 stat line or innate haste.
  20. Indigo_Quarmite Augur

Again, it didn't really work. It was a lot of development cost to cannibalize players. If it was super successful blizzard wouldn't have laid off 1900 employees today. Just don't copy that mess. In fact, if Holly was one of em I would like to see her back at EQ.