A request for mounts

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Gnomie, Jan 15, 2024.

1. kain200 Augur

I'm so glad this was mentioned and ttobey is looking into it. The jungle raptor on the 85 heroics literally makes me sick whether in first or third person. The lion mounts with the HoT pack are bad too - verdant hedgerow leaf, dessicated hedgerow leaf - something like that. I also wonder whether the annoying "drifting" is intentional or not. The effect that makes you move as if you are on ice when entering combat on a mount.
    Ileasa likes this.
  2. Vumad Cape Wearer

Is the jungle raptor the one I see where people are leaning back like 30%.
    Ileasa likes this.
  3. fransisco Augur

Another annoying mount is the Shadow Wurm Saddle. Lots of rocking back and forth
  4. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I picture ttobey, spiraling into the rabbit hole, separating from his sanity. Surrounded by all the mounts bobbing around him. :D
  5. Cuzon Elder

Speaking of mount movement, can we please do away with the ice skating effect when you are on a mount and are in combat? I never understood why when not in combat mounts work fine, but the second you get aggro your mount slides all over the place.
    fransisco, kain200 and Cidran like this.
  6. kain200 Augur

Yeah sometimes the raptor model makes you lean in all kinds of weird, impossible directions. It happens alot when gating, you'll appear half in the ground and leaning backward when you arrive. The raptor mount is all kinds of wonky.

Aside from the ice skating annoyance, I also wonder why it is that you can "kick" while on a mount, but not "round/flying" kick. Also you can't use strikes/frenzy. Unless this is a bug, wouldn't it make more sense to be able to frenzy, strike, etc (upper body movement) than to kick? I suppose you could kick from a horse, not a very effective kick though. There's also an issue with being able to bash but not slam, or the other way around, I forget which exactly atm.
  7. strongbus Augur

could just make it so the kick is coming form the mount and not the rider. That be fun make it so if your on a live mount or a clockwork one they can kick and bite the target for extra damage.(sorry carpet/chopper riders no kick/bite damage form a mount with no feet/mouth)
  8. Tyranthraxus Grognard

Your horse kicks, it should have a + damage modifier lol. On that note we really need a snake mount, with a kick damage mod
    fransisco likes this.
  9. ttobey Developer

OK Mount movement- I've pretty much done all I can, it's now in codes hands to get the camera working correctly. It's a universal issue on the mounts, it's more noticeable depending on how much the actual mount is moving. The sliding thing is another issue. I'm assuming it's doing what the player does but it's more noticeable on a mount. So that also goes into codes corner.
    Gnomie, kain200, Ileasa and 10 others like this.
  10. Vumad Cape Wearer

You're awesome for jumping on the improvement so quickly.
    xcitng, Ileasa, fransisco and 2 others like this.
  11. Cuzon Elder

Can you please clarify what this means? Players don't slide around when in combat.
  12. Gialana Augur

There used to be no difference in mount movement in and out of combat. That was one of the downsides of using a mount, that they took some time to get up to speed and to come to a stop. I don't remember how long that lasted, but mounts were eventually given better start and stop control, but only when out of combat.

If DBG wants to make mount movement snappier while in combat, I certainly wouldn't complain, though.
    fransisco and Vuplar Endoscribe like this.
  13. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

The "ice skating effect", which I called "inertia effect", also happens out of combat. It's one of the reasons I use the flying carpet, as the effect is less (although still present).
    fransisco likes this.
  14. Soulbanshee Augur

Mounts used to always have inertia (realism?), then they decided to cut out the inertia when out of combat so there was still a drawback to being mounted in combat.
  15. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

There is still inertia out of combat.
    Ileasa likes this.
  16. fransisco Augur

The game has long since assumed you are mounted though. There is no benefit to not being mounted as a caster, only drawbacks. I'd be very happy to have the inertial effect removed.
  17. Vekaras Ranger of the Too Long Name

The issue is persistent on lots of models not just mounts; I've got >30 illusions but I refuse to use 90% of them because of the issues with head-bob in 1st person.
    Yinla and fransisco like this.
  18. ttobey Developer

Yeah I'm sure that's the same issue as mounts not using their cam joints. Anything besides a player model is not using cam joint.
    Ileasa, Nennius, Yinla and 1 other person like this.
  19. Genjo Lorekeeper

I want to thank you Ttobey for your feedback and interaction on this issue. While this might not be a game breaking issue the consideration and care to reply and provide what you can and keeping us in the loop is greatly appreciated. You did what you could, researched and provide insight on the problem. Bravo!
    Ileasa and Nennius like this.
  20. Thraine Augur

one big drawback for me, is when im playing my cleric and im on a mount and we are all running to a spot, following a audio trigger w/e .. the melee start fighting right away and i have to use my AA heals in that case cause if i cast 1 sec before that mound finally stops itll be interupted. not sure if you know how on the ball a cleric has to be these days, but yeah i call it a HUGE drawback. its 100% the reason i never use a mount on him, ill use yaulp instead.