Unplayable on Steam + Linux

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by TMBuzzard, Jan 17, 2024.

1. TMBuzzard New Member

Sigh. The first DX11 test client worked more or less peachy keen on Linux under both wine and proton. Now it takes several minutes just to get the launcher to load and eqgame.exe crashes after char select.

Yes, I know Linux is an unsupported platform. I guess it's a lesson to me not to drop several hundred dollars when you have devs who think things should be changed just because they're old.
    Yinla, Drewie and Amex111 like this.
  2. TMBuzzard New Member

Changed nothing except the amount of dinner in me and suddenly everything works again. Aside from a few missing textures and shadows causing HUGE stuttering with more than half a dozen models on screen anyway. Shadows are easy enough to turn off though.
  3. TMBuzzard New Member

Again changed nothing and suddenly can't box. I take it you guys will be crediting all us paid members days to make up for beta testing your nonsense?
  4. MiataDriver Augur

If it's any consolation, it sucks running native windows too.
  5. Sturmlocke Apprentice

[IMG]
    EQ1 DX11 on Linux

Alright mate, just gave it a whirl too, and here are the results after playing approx 30 minutes and zoning around.

My system:
    • Dell Inc. OptiPlex 7050
    • Intel® Core™ i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz × 8
    • NVIDIA RTX A2000/PCIe/SSE2
    • openSUSE Leap 15.5
    • 64-bit
    • Gnome 41.8
    • X11
    • Nvidia driver version: 545.29.06
    • Soundcard: Asus Xonar SE internal
    • Soundcard specs: 192kHz/24-Bit, 5.1-channel und 300-Ohm-Headset enhancement
    • System and recording drive: 2 x 1TB M2 NVME SSD + 2 x 1TB SSD in RAID 0 mode + 2 x 1 TB SSHD
    • Steam + Proton = Flatpak
    • GameMode for EQ1 enabled in Steam for Linux via launch options for Kernel level optimization and increased performance
    • Nvidia settings powermizer set to "prefer maximum performance" for steady fps-rate accross the board
    • Cpu-profile set to high performance in Gnome settings
    • All in-game settings maxed out
    And this is EQ1 running on Steam + Proton Experimental (Flatpak). I actually just deleted the game and reinstalled just to make sure that I have a clean prefix to test, and didn't have to do anything other than: Start Steam -> Download and install EQ1 -> Patch EQ1 -> login and play = no issues whatsoever. No graphical issues, adjusting gamma works fine, framerates are high at 4k reso and 60+ fps for the most part. Loading was super fast too and took less than five seconds on my NVME drive. I've been running around with different acc and toons, and after zoning through a few of the older zones; no major issues thus far. Will continue to test and report feedback. Can someone pm me some feedback where you are seeing the graphical glitches and whatnot so I can move there and test the area on my rig too?
  6. Rennil New Member

I have been running EQ on Linux for a long time and with major updates I have always expected issues. I was running vanilla Wine 8.0.x with no issues before the patch with DX11. After the patch most textures were missing and even character select was showing no character and mostly just a light blue background.
    I then installed DXVK 2.3 (https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases) and things looked much better. The only thing I noticed was that my weapons (with warrior epic 1.0 ornamentations) weren't showing, no biggie. Game loaded fine and I had no issue in guild hall, however upon zoning to Laurion Inn the game crashes. I have since tried with Steam + Proton Experimental (and GE-Proton8-27) but the result is the same.
    System Info
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
    RAM: 64 GB
    Video: AMD 7900XTX
    Driver Name: radv
    Driver Info: Mesa 23.3.2-1pop0~1704238321~22.04~36f1d0e

Has anyone else had success in zoning to Laurion Inn or other Laurion's Song zones?
  7. Drewie Augur

The only real issue I encountered so far playing on Live through Steam (Linux Fedora) was some crashes when zoning that seem to be related to some buggy texture loading. I think there might be a player, pet or mercenary in the zone with the wrong texture and that makes me crash, then a few minutes later I can zone just fine in that same zone.

I already had that problem on beta. For now, playing through Bottles with VKD3D disabled allows me to play without any crash.

Other than that, EQ runs very well, no darkness bug, no gamma weirdness, no stuttering, it looks even more fluid than before the patch. During beta I had that bug in Blightfire Moors where the whole zone was very dark even in the middle of the day, to the point that I had to look at the mountains outline for navigating. This doesn't happen on Live anymore.

I also have all-white textures on the lizardman illusion and on the old world brew barrels (not the more recent ones), I guess this will be fixed after some time when they update those specific textures.
    Sturmlocke likes this.
  8. TMBuzzard New Member

Yeah, that's more or less where I am with current versions of wine-staging, DXVK, and radeon/AMDGPU drivers. No idea what the deal was (some kind of stale caching issue maybe?) but it's finally cleared up and is actually running faster and better looking than before with just a few missing textures and laggy as crap shadows that I don't really care about.
    Sturmlocke likes this.
  9. Rennil New Member

I tried to install wine-staging with DXVK 2.3. I clicked "Return Home" on character select. Went back to guild hall and zoned to Laurion Inn. It crashes on the loading screen, and continues to crash every time I try to log in. Performance in working zones seem perfect.
    Anyone else seeing similar behavior with the new expansion?
  10. Drewie Augur

I'm now crashing even more. Here is what I get each time in my dbg.txt log :

[Thu Jan 18 21:09:45 2024]:UNSUPPORTED: FromDX11( DXGI_FORMAT ) - Unknown format 98
    [Thu Jan 18 21:09:45 2024]:UNSUPPORTED: ComputeTextureSize() - Unknown format 98
    [Thu Jan 18 21:09:52 2024]01084: Dump generation request succeeded: C:\Crash\2bc595a6-1a2e-4fe5-92da-960d481c439d.dmp
    [Thu Jan 18 21:09:53 2024]01085:Fatal error occurred in mainthread! (Release Client #630)

Could it be something not supported in DXVK ?
  11. Rennil New Member

That is identical to what I am seeing in my logs (well apart from the UUID of the dmp file name). My guess is that it is either a missing or incorrectly implemented feature in DXVK. Maybe it is worth opening an issue on DXVK's Github page.
    Drewie likes this.
  12. Rennil New Member

Sturmlocke likes this.
  13. steve12345 New Member

I run Fedora 37 with wine 8.18 and dxvk 2.3 Not using Steam. Everything was working great prior to the dx11 patch. Since the patch, initially I was crashing every time I zoned in after character select. I found that I had to cd into the EverQuest folder before executing "wine Launchpad.exe" My toons in the Guild Lobby crash after some time. My toon in the Bazaar has not crashed yet. So it appears that there are some zone/player texture issues. Interestingly, it appears that the "--disable-gpu" option is no longer needed, at least in my case.
  14. Sturmlocke Apprentice

Yeah, luckily that was fixed here some time ago: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/wine/commit/66cd5c1c1f1cae4c76e74c5e82d7b4f1fa4d7550

We noticed this over at EQ2 as well: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/eq2-on-linux-and-mac-guide.604032/page-8

So after further investigating, we realized that this fix applies to all major Daybreak mmos, including EQ1/2 and DCUO. This means that if you're using Proton 8 and higher (or the corresponding Wine version) = no launch commands necessary anymore. It's basically just click, download and play now, which is awesome!

More feedback after another hour of running through old zones: Not a single crash yet. I've opened the game about 10 times and relogged while at it too, but haven't seen any stability issues on my end as of this writing. I see that ya'll are crashing in Laurion Inn? Hm, wish I could test, but I don't have the newest expac yet. Will continue venturing the lands to see if it crashes or if it acts up anywhere. I can also confirm what someone wrote further above, and that is performance seems better now with dx11, minus the usual shadow fps drop when you have a lot of npcs with max shadows around (I can only hope we get better shadows at some point now that we have dx11 available to play with more modern features).
  15. TMBuzzard New Member

Exactly the same thing started happening to me about 10-11pm EST. Right up until then, running fine today. Running around PoK, picking up new spells, all of a sudden: froze and crashed mid-run. Every time I try to log in after that with a character in Crescent or PoK, it crashes exactly the same way with exactly the same "Unknown format" message. Unpopulated zones I can enter just fine, so I assume it's a character or mount texture causing the issue.

EDIT: It is absolutely a DXVK issue. Disable DXVK in the wine prefix and these particular crashes end. Whether that makes the game otherwise ugly as homemade soap is another matter but it can at least be used to get you out of a zone with a crash-causing texture.
  16. steve12345 New Member

For me, it still crashes with DXVK disabled. Not as much, and not on zone in, but it still crashes. Only experienced the crash in Guild Lobby, but not every time in GL. It must be some unique ornament/mount/illusion/spell particles.
  17. Drewie Augur

The same bug has been confirmed by a guildmate on macOS with CrossOver. Using D3DMetal instead of DXVK makes it hardly playable.

Good thing is setting Options > Display > New Armor to "None" seems to prevent the bug. I haven't crashed for hours, going through the most populated zones and even completing the two LS raids. This again leads to think the crashes could be caused by a specific texture.
  18. Jedis Arch Mage

I had EQ working via CrossOver on my Mac during the summer. Tried tonight and eqgame.exe starts, but it just hangs on a black screen before it shuts down.

Installed in a fresh Win10 x64 bottle. Installed TT fonts, XML, and DirectX. Patched the game fresh. When eqgame.exe starts, it still just shows a black screen for a minute or so. It then uploads a trace to backtrace.io, and then shuts down.

I've tried with DXVK on and off. Same behavior. I'm not sure if it's related to DX11 or not, but I would imagine it is.

Does anyone have this working via CrossOver on a Mac?
  19. Drewie Augur

A guildmate is playing using CrossOver on a macOS Silicon with DXVK enabled. At first he could play normally except with the same random crashes the Linux users experienced. Setting the "New Armor" display option to Me+NPCs ended preventing the crashes.

You could check your Logs/dbg.txt file and see if it provides any information about your black screen bug.
  20. FGgn479n nf933 New Member

Figured I'd toss out what worked for me.

I'm now able to play with both WINE 9.0 and Proton Experimental. (Garuda Linux, Dr460nized version) I didn't have to install anything extra or change anything in proton; for WINE I had to override 2 DLL's just to get the game to launch:
    vcruntime140
    vcruntime140_1

In the eqclient.ini I changed:

VertexShaders=TRUE (was FALSE with DX9, 11 seems to have fixed this)
    Gamma=80 (it may ignore this; but after I set it, it no longer dimmed my screen launching)
    WindowedGamma=80 (ditto)
    MipMapping=FALSE (This stopped the stuttering totally, plays smooth now)

no winetricks, or protontricks were needed either. (I made a fresh wine prefix for this update)

Its not perfect; in some zones my player studio robe looks either insanely bright or so dark its almost black. I'm seeing orcs run around with blank textured weapons but that seems to be a game issue. Also, I did have to max the enhanced vision slider in-game too.

(Lots of stuff like this in my logs when I see missing textures:
    [Wed Jan 24 14:23:24 2024]00420:ResourceManager::CreateTextureFromBackgroundData(): unable to load "SW87BLD.BMP" D3DX error: 8000ffff
    [Wed Jan 24 14:23:24 2024]00421:ResourceManager::CreateTextureFromBackgroundData(): unable to load "SHIELD ROUND-WOODBACK.BMP" D3DX error: 8000ffff
    [Wed Jan 24 14:23:24 2024]00422:ResourceManager::CreateTextureFromBackgroundData(): unable to load "SHIELD ROUND-WOOD.BMP" D3DX error: 8000ffff )

My only launch options are "ENABLE_VKBASALT=1 %command%" as I prefer to use SMAA and with that I can force it on. (I also had some fun inserting reshade filters in too heh)

I know it might not be super helpful; but I did want to note I got mine to work, and what minimal things I had to change to get it to launch. I made new prefixes as I figured some of the old DX9 hacks might cause issues now; so that might be your issue too. Good luck!!